+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Office 2010 compatibility? in Technical; We started out with SIMS this year and had Office 2010 and Windows 7 to contend with too. We've already ...
    Thank Post

SIMS plus Office 2010 plus Windows 7 = failure

We started out with SIMS this year and had Office 2010 and Windows 7 to contend with too. We've already had funnies in anything that uses Word automation. Late Letters don't get up the right list of events. Now, after struggling uphill all term and finally rushing to knock up some student reports using Assessment/ Individual Reports it just crashes SIMS all the time. So you guys are telling me that
    a) Windows 2010 wasn't supported until the Autumn release so I was probably doomed from the start.
    b) Office 2010 is still not supported and has known incompatibilities (Is it adopted in Autumn release - I can see no reference in Release Notes?). So I'm still indefinitely stuffed.
    Is there any way round to get some reports out for kids?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Office 2010 isn't being supported until next year.

Your only option is to roll back to Office 2007.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    @generaldreedle Depending on your error there are some workarounds for running reports on SupportNet. Not fixed late letters issue yet but as it's a mailmerge that is probably gonna be a pain.

I've given the upper school assessment chappie a VM with office 2007 to run reports on. Most other users can get on fine.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had to roll back to 2007 as well, pretty ridiculous that they can't be bothered to fix this for 6 months.

They should have used the release candidate and got it ready for release really.
    Last edited by zag; 3rd December 2010 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We had to roll back to 2007 as well, pretty ridiculous that they can't be bothered to fix this for 6 months.

They should have used the release candidate and got it ready 6 for release really.
    Phil Neal stated somewhere that they don't work with RC software as it is liable to change (ignoring the fact that Microsoft release policy is that RC is near enough release quality, but with extra bugs, and that no major features will be changed).

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I guess the real answer to this problem is for Capita to rely less on Microsoft office.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Phil Neal stated somewhere that they don't work with RC software as it is liable to change
    I would agree with that for Beta releases, but not the RC.

Thank Post
    Whatever excuses there are, we have been discussing this for 8 months so there should have been some kind of escalation surely. Not heard anything, even to say 'we're pulling out all the stops to get you guys working' - they might have pulled all the stops out, but we just don't know.

Thank Post
    I don't think this is a matter for escalation as I believe that we have made a very clear statement that Office 2010 is not supported and will not work until we complete re-engineering and testing. This isn't a minor task. The planned and published date for support of 2010 is spring 2011 (March).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I don't think this is a matter for escalation as I believe that we have made a very clear statement that Office 2010 is not supported and will not work until we complete re-engineering and testing. This isn't a minor task. The planned and published date for support of 2010 is spring 2011 (March).
    Can you see how making your customers wait over a year from the RC date is a bit disappointing though? You're forcing the hands of your customers by taking so much time over it, and we don't like it.

Thank Post
    Yes I can see that some people will be disappointed as they want to be able to use the latest versions. Today I had to ask for my new shiny laptop to be loaded with Office 2007 because our Outlook mail plug in for archieved mail doesn't work with 2010.

Equally I know that if we dropped support for earlier versions of Office others would be outraged that we've forced them to invest in new MS technology. Every version that we support increases our test matrix and the time it takes to bring out new versions of our software. We have to weave statutory changes, exam changes, bug fixes, new features and technology changes and get it right. We have to get a balance and that will disappoint at either end of the spectrum.

12. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

superfletch (27th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Every version that we support increases our test matrix and the time it takes to bring out new versions of our software.
    Absolutely fair comment. My response would be to ask why Capita are not committing that time to the task though? Are they under-staffed or simply unwilling to eat into their profits to employ more people and provide a better service?

Thank Post
    Even although I have this problem I think Capita are spot on on their release schedule here. Only the foolish adopt MS products in their year of release so Spring 2011 seems reasonable to me. For us in school XP plus Office 2003 was a mature and stable platform. I've seen platforms and applications come and go since Windows 286 and WordStar. IMHO Office 2010 is just Fire and Motion from the marketeers - all the features thrown up in your face like Mr T's jewelery, but when you eventually find what you want it's the same grey dialog as 10 years ago.

I'd also endorse SIMS using Office automation for reporting. I've spent several years using CMIS Facility's arcane report codes: dozens of rows of punctuation edited in a small text box with no syntax checking or error handling. It's flexible but tragically it is also obviously Betamax. Harnessing the power of MS Word is a good decision.

The consensus here seems to be that reversion to Office 2007 is the only solution for us. would that be all users or just those writing merge reports/letters?

15. Thanks to GeneralDreedle from:

superfletch (27th January 2011)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its not spot on. Its a year late in being supported. Microsoft do Release candidates so partners can get ready for launch date. Capita simply didn't bother doing it or have some strange policy of not doing it.

Whats worse, we still have to wait another 3 months!

Office 2010 is virtually identical to 2007 so I really don't see why it takes 40 weeks+ to get round to setting up a test environment.

Drives me mad, its the single biggest problem I have in school right now. All the office girls are back on office 2007 due to Sims but when they move computers to 2010 their outlook profile is corrupted.

I just got this email from a lady at capita support today about a problem from one of our staff who hasn't been downgraded:

Following our telephone conversation, unfortunately we cannot support word 2010 until the spring release as the compatibility has not been tested as yet.
    So they haven't even started testing??? Grrrr....

EDIT: Ok I read phils response again and it seams they have started testing. But a whole year?? Oh and just for the record we are a Microsoft sponsored school so we've had Office 2010 for a long time, hence my frustration.
    Last edited by zag; 3rd December 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Thank Post
    I'd like to see customers more involved in the process of development Not just some arbitrary process. If there had been a need for an update to support Vista a quick straw poll of schools would have ascertained "don't bother" but with Win 7 and Office 2010 we're all much keener to use it and have taken it up much sooner than other new releases. That's not been taking into account. IMO.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast