+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Office 2010 compatibility? in Technical; Originally Posted by SteveB I appreciate that, but if a user starts experiencing issues with a particular element of reporting, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I appreciate that, but if a user starts experiencing issues with a particular element of reporting, Individual Reports, Profiles etc, you will be by yourself.
    its only installed on my PC and works fine everyone else is still rocking 2007!

Thank Post
    Speaking for myself, i would not recommend anyone go to office 2010 that is using Sims. The Sims.net package really slows down when it comes to ammending indvidual reports and as for report designer its pretty much slows to a crawl. Just unistalling it and putting it back to 2007.

I do agree though that Capita needs to support new releases of office faster than this. tThe final RTM for 2010 has been available for some time. Its fortunate other software developers dont do things the way capita does as if they did the world would grind to a halt everytime a new office release comes out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    We stayed on 2003 as i was concerned with 2007 and had some issues with it when it first came out and SIMS support wasn't there yet. We now have a dozen or so 2007 users and it's all fine.

We are planning to go straight to Win 7 with Office 2010, from XP with Office 2003. So far, i like Office 2010 a lot. 2007 is nice, and 2010 gets better.

Not had many problems so far with my testing of SIMS. All my templates are created in 2003, and seem to work ok in both 2007 and 2010. I've even done some edits and it's not slow on my experience. The templates open in compatibility mode when editing, and i'm trying out some more complex reports with rtf templates to see how they fare as all the file extensions are obviously different.

I seem to recall needing to patch SIMS before you could use Office 2007, so maybe something similar will be needed for 2010. Reinstall the base templates i guess, with any alterations to the built in macros.

So far it works ok, the extra fields and stuff goes into the Add-Ins ribbon though i do get one set of dropdowns on the left, and they are then repeated on the right too. Both seem to work.

I can't see that for general users it would be a problem. The most anyone is likely to need to do is view a previously exported report which runs fine, and export a marksheet to Excel, which i'm going to test today.

Worst case i'll leave an editing machine for reports with 2007 on it, and also will be leaving the server on 2003, until we migrate when i'll either go for 2007, or a dual install.

There are a few features that have been removed in Office 2010, but none of them seem to be relevant. I'd be interested to hear from anyone using mailmerge reports as that area seems to have changed a little.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All of our admin staff are now on Office 2010 and no problems so far.

Its not that different from 2007.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    When you say it's superb, is that just your view or the view of the end user too? (Specifically the office staff)

If they will have to use it day in day out, I'd check with them first.
    showed it to management and they like it, not much different to 2k7. also people are quite keen to try out win 7 and office 2010 generally, must have some really good marketing this time round.

Head of IT (subject) just testing out a machine and if she gives it the thumbs up and i find no SIMS issues, we'll be going with it from the start of next year (Sept 2010).

so far, export of marksheets to Excel, went really well, formatted and unformatted. i've had someone in the office today writing reports in AM7 Individual Reports, i.e. comment aspects and it's all be problem free.

I've done some major template edits for AM7 reporting, and the only slow part has been when you first open it, after that it's fine. My templates are 38+ pages, full of at least 8 aspects per page. lots of report sections. so far the only problem has been the odd class teacher tag going astray and not printing the correct name, but i think that's user error, as some of our course names have changed so the tags have become invalid. the verify routing works okay too.

still need to do some rtf template work...

Thank Post
    Well for some reason 2010 does not work with the boradworks powerpoint files. Had this problem on a staff science laptop the other day. Another laptop installed by the same deployment image (windows 7) the only difference between the laptops were that I uninstalled 2007 after deployment and installed 2010.

Think it only needs macros, which were all enabled in the trust settings

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    Well for some reason 2010 does not work with the boradworks powerpoint files. Had this problem on a staff science laptop the other day. Another laptop installed by the same deployment image (windows 7) the only difference between the laptops were that I uninstalled 2007 after deployment and installed 2010.

Think it only needs macros, which were all enabled in the trust settings
    Were you using the 32bit or 64bit version of Office 2010, some macros and extentions won't work with 2010 64bit along with a host of other stuff like mobile device syncing in outlook which is why we had to go with 32bit Office on 64bit OS.

Thank Post
    that could be it, was using 64bit, i'll have to test that one out then

thanks mate, didnt think about that, keep forgotting there are two version of office 2010

Thank Post
    okey dokey, just to update on my findings above i'm using 32bit Win7 and 32bit Office 2010.
    got a problem trying to run SIMS mailmerge report. cannot start a new one, open a template, or edit an existing one. tried different file types but the only one allowed to be opened is the .dot
    no joy so far, getting errors like "No file is open", unspecified error, "unable to do that" sort of thing.
    i managed to do one in office 2007 really easily, and am going to try and get it to work in 2010 today.
    not a big deal as we don't really use mailmerge reports much and if we needed to, could always dump data to excel or a csv and use that as source data.
    i would appreciate if any of the people using it now could try it out too, and confirm my findings . . .
    i wondered if it could be a permissions thing, as by default, my user didn't have any write permissions to the program files folder, where the default templates live..., taking ownership and giving permissions didn't help..

Thank Post
    I sitll can't get 2007 templates into my reports. That would seem to imply a failure to support 2007 fully, let alone 2010.

Having said that I'm eagerly awaiting some keys so I can install 2010.

Thank Post
    Got 3 of us running 2010 ans so far no problems with anything. One of the users is the Sims manager and has had no problems with any reports yet as i know if, in fact he says it runs much quicker.

Planning on rolling it out to all our key Sims admin staff after half term. Will keep you informed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart_C View Post
    I sitll can't get 2007 templates into my reports. That would seem to imply a failure to support 2007 fully, let alone 2010.

Having said that I'm eagerly awaiting some keys so I can install 2010.
    It's been supported since the 2007 release. Search SupportNet for Office 2007 and there are lots of KB articles.

I only recently moved, and have had no problems, though i think for a different issue, needed to run a patch which helps with these things. Check out KB74060 and KB74345, though the issue may not apply to you, having the patch and the updated template files should solve your problems.

I'm assuming you'll need that fixed before you can get close to working with 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Got 3 of us running 2010 ans so far no problems with anything. One of the users is the Sims manager and has had no problems with any reports yet as i know if, in fact he says it runs much quicker.

Planning on rolling it out to all our key Sims admin staff after half term. Will keep you informed.
    Would you please ask one of your users to try a mailmerge report. I know that the only supported template files in SIMS are .dot, but i can't even get one of them to work.

On clicking EDIT it just says "Error: Command failed" but it's working fine on 2007.

On clicking NEW i get "Error: This command is not available because no document is open."

On clicking OPEN and choosing a locally stored .dot file i get "Error: Office has detected a problem with this file. To help protect your computer this file cannot be opened.
    (C:\Users\pawv\...\ReportMailmerge.doc)" for labels or "Error: Command failed" for standardlandscape.dot

:O(

I want to rule out permissions, which i'm having trouble with on the Win7 box, so am going to start a setup with office 2010 on an XP box.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 25th May 2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarify and add errors

Thank Post
    I've got this spreadsheet that's supposed to help with the migration and it mentions that under mailmerge certain things have been 'removed from product', i wonder if that has an effect...? If it's part of the SIMS macro that sets up the document...

It's a really useful spreadsheet for training though
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Although we haven't formally tested it yet, I've been using SIMS with the Office 2010 Beta for quite a few months now - and without incident.

That said, I won't be recommending it to my supported schools until Capita give the green light!

Thank Post
    Office 2010 and Sims seem fine together, trialling it on about machines at the mo. However one issue we have is Outlook 2010 doesn't seem to like Public Folders which have Home pages assigned to them, it just won't display them. We have a Public Folder setup with displays a web page to Room bookings assigned to it. We have Exchange 2007.

Trying to find a Solution. Anyone else had this? We've tried creating a new one within Outlook 2010 but you get the same issue, on the home page tab the Show Home page is greyed out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast