+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS AM7 Template Change resultset script in Technical; Hi all, just a note to say thanks for the script, works brilliantly, saved many hours of tedious work! And ...

Thank Post
    Hi all, just a note to say thanks for the script, works brilliantly, saved many hours of tedious work! And just to add as I saw one post having trouble with ver 7.140 on windows 7, the tab count has changed to 14 so just edit the script and you're away. Again, many thanks vik!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    That's excellent @Mirmo glad to hear it worked for you. Can you just let us know if you use partnership exchange and / or SLG, as i know this adds extra focus points on the sheet, requiring a change to the number of tabs.

I was actually going to ask the users, if you would prefer the prerequisite starting point to already be focussed on the Template columns section? So basically, before running the script, you need to make sure you are focussed on the columns part with the bottom one highlighted.

This eliminates the final hurdle of the initial tabbing, and would make it quite future proof. You can also run it again and again, to cope with multiple sets of columns, e.g. when the first 10 are current and need changing to another year, and the last 10 are historic and need only changing to a different result set in the year.

The only downside i can see is that you can't just open a template and run the script you have to click down to the second section first, but it's not such a hindrance is it...?

In fact, i think i have automated the jump down to the template section without TABS, using an Alt+2 followed by a Shift+TAB. If that works on people's systems, then it will be awesome as i don't think it matters where your focus is. However, sometimes the Alt button doesn't always bring up the right menu. I have also noticed that it's taken a long delay between hitting Alt+2 and it actually moving to the right place, i think the tabbing was quicker.

If you care to try it out, then please amend the code from around line 46, commented as "switch to first column" thus:

Code:
        'switch to first column
        ws.SendKeys "%2"
        wscript.sleep longwait
        ws.SendKeys "+{TAB}"
        'ws.SendKeys "{TAB 13}"  [this is commented out now]
        ws.SendKeys r
    i've added a longwait variable at the top where the variables are defined, but you could replace it directly in this excerpt of code with 2000, which is working for my system. Shockingly slow, i've yet to try it on another machine.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 17th October 2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: code layout

Thank Post
    Hi Vik, we do have SLG so that would account for the extra focus point. Regarding the changes, I think the amount of work you've saved people is already so huge I doubt users will mind having to click to the second section before running the script! Thanks again mate.

Thank Post

Lightbulb

Okay so, i've tested the mod with a longwait, and to be honest it's just impractical and i hate telling the system to wait 2 seconds when doing it with a mouse click is almost instant.

So i've opted to change the priming system. Basically, now you must click and highlight the bottom-most column in section 2 - Template Columns.
    The benefit is that now there is none of the initial tabbing and any users regardless of PX or SLG should be able to use the same script.
    Also, if you want to do different types of changes this is possible by just changing the initial displacement each time rather than having to re-prime the system, so it works well for using the script repeatedly on the same template.

It took me a while to get used to having to click on the column first, but works a treat now.

Feel free to test and provide any feedback.

SIMSchangeXresultsets.zip

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

LosOjos (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Feel free to test and provide any feedback.

SIMSchangeXresultsets.zip
    Works a treat Vik - thanks for updating it!

7. Thanks to LosOjos from:

vikpaw (18th October 2011)

Thank Post
    No worries, glad it's still working. Should be a lot more future proof.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MACIT View Post
    Im sure im being a bit slow here, but when i run the script i get asked the questions but then nothing happens - sims is open. Am i missing something?

Running Windows 7
    I had exactly the same problem a few days ago, but on XP, and it happened at the end of a day i had been using it all day. In fact i panicked as i'd just modified the script and uploaded it here, and i was worried it was the wrong version.

A reboot fixed it, and i'm wondering if it's to do with memory or something. I know i have been having the odd RAM errors, and the machine starts to slow down, so it could have been cached or something funny going on. It asked me the questions but then did nothing. After a reboot it was back to normal.

Could be worth a try.

Thank Post
    Just to let you know, bulk editing of Result Sets will be standard in Assessment Manager from the autumn release. This is a change requested by our Indy Strategy Group.

Thank Post
    Great news @PhilNeal I'd be interested to see how it's implemented as a marksheet could contain many different resultsets all with a different mapping required.
    I'm happy to beta test if required
    Also I hope it extend to ind. reports as I could really use that function right now.

Thank Post
    Amen to individual reports included!

Thank Post
    Sorry its just in the templates at this stage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Sorry its just in the templates at this stage.
    That's a shame. If they do put it in to ind. reps. too, then a few people have been asking for it to autovalidate the name of the aspect, and change that too, so if an aspect changes names, it is reflected on the template making it easier to read. thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345