+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS AM7 Template Change resultset script in Technical; Thanks for writing it. I was suprised our security settings allowed me to run the script but I was plesently ...

Thank Post
    Thanks for writing it.

I was suprised our security settings allowed me to run the script but I was plesently suprised when it did! I like it as a script because then it is easy to tweak and requires no special tools, just notepad.

I'll tweak my own version thanks - I think I need %{u} according to msdn. I just need more "play time"

In spetember I expect my school wll have PX and SLG so if you need a hand with testing please let me know.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nkh97 View Post
    Thanks for writing it.

I was suprised our security settings allowed me to run the script but I was plesently suprised when it did! I like it as a script because then it is easy to tweak and requires no special tools, just notepad.

I'll tweak my own version thanks - I think I need %{u} according to msdn. I just need more "play time"

In spetember I expect my school wll have PX and SLG so if you need a hand with testing please let me know.
    Good point about being able to edit if you want, the only thing is, i've had a few off site requests for it, from people who don't really know how to manipulate scripts, so an app would be useful there. Also for that type of user, i think permissions would be more of an issue in running scripts.

It's pretty well commented to allow for user customisation though i'm hoping it wont need much after the next gen'. I've tried to make the change you want, and "play time" is the right phrase as it took 5 revisions to get it right, and even now i'm not sure it's fully tested, however it does work for 7.132 Summer 10 that i'm on.

The change required was as you thought but slightly different : from sendkeys d , to %u, but also to remove the next line which has the {ENTER}. Also for completeness to take out the prompt for column type. It was only ever a patch in the first place!

Try this out and see if it works for you. The biggest issue might be if there is a change in Spring to how many tabs away the columns area is. I plan to change the instructions so to prime the system you have to manually on the bottom column. This is the area that gets most affected by variation of module usage at schools. So your offer to test will be very useful, thanks. Would you prefer to choose the bottom column, or simply scroll to the top of the section straight off and not even have to enter the number to move?

CAVEAT: THIS IS A PATCHED FILE - It has worked in all latest tests with 7.138 (Spring 2011)
    Use at own risk. Please feel free to test however.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vikpaw; 18th May 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: test update

Thank Post
    I forgot to add, i tested on my system with Spring 2011 (7.138) and it seems to work as before.

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

NorthernSands (19th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks once again, Vik. This truly is a huge time saver and I know longer dread having to clone a 170 column marksheet!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSands View Post
    Thanks once again, Vik. This truly is a huge time saver and I know longer dread having to clone a 170 column marksheet!!
    You#re welcome. To be honest i hardly ever use it these days, it#s only when someone on here or SupportNet asks for help with it that i start tinkering to make sure it works.

I do have some analysis marksheets that need creating soon though, and it will be pretty powerful for those.

Thank Post
    Im sure im being a bit slow here, but when i run the script i get asked the questions but then nothing happens - sims is open. Am i missing something?

Running Windows 7
    Last edited by MACIT; 15th September 2011 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Haven't tested recently on windows 7, but there are some caveats. You need to make sure that the bottom most row in Template Columns (section 2) is selected / highlighted, which is the default when you open a template. Also the cursor must be in the topmost box. Highlighting the name in section 1, again, the default on open.
    The script assumes you are in that start position. Then assuming you have the permission to run scripts which you must if you are getting prompted, then it should do the work.
    I know it works on Spring 11, 7.138, but haven't had a chance to test on Summer 11 - are you on that version, 7.140?
    If so, count how many times you have to press TAB before it highlights the bottom row in the templates section. If it has changed from 13, then we need to modify the file slightly.

Thank Post
    Yes on 7.140

Having tried the tab count and it is still 13.

What seems odd is that once all the variables are set for the script it just stalls and i can see no activity at all almost as if Win7 does not seem to underdstand what ws.sendkeys means. Im sure ive used this before on Win 7 so im a little at a loss.

Thank Post
    I just tried on win 7 as administrator and it worked fine. SIMS v7.138, using the script which is labelled v7132, that i patched most recently. Do you have that one.
    Perhaps you could try 'run as administrator' on the script. I think i had to do that with some scripts at the end of last year for printing reports.

Thank Post
    Is there any flashing of the screen. The next step is to switch to the SIMS screen, execute the tabs. Does it even switch to SIMS and bring it to the foreground? Try hiding it with another window first. I'm pretty sure it must be permissions.

Thank Post
    No does not switch to sims regardless of focus.

I agree it must be persmissions but i cant see what as im domain and local admin and am running the script from dekstop and have tried running from root of C:\

Thank Post
    Sometimes being admin doesn't count with windows 7, unless you are actually using the administrator account, or the account the system was installed with.

Didn't run as admin work, i couldn't find the button for it, but if you make a shortcut to the script, then you can tell the shortcut to run as admin, in one of the options i think properties, general, advanced or something like that. i've used that as a workaround before.

Failing that, do you have an XP box as a backup?

Thank Post

It works a treat

It was well worth the effort hunting around to find this and get it working, using 7.140 with XP.

Thanks very much. Now I can go out and do the gardening this afternoon and for so many more this year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalPostPorter View Post
    It was well worth the effort hunting around to find this and get it working, using 7.140 with XP.

Thanks very much. Now I can go out and do the gardening this afternoon and for so many more this year.
    to the 'Geek. Glad you found it helpful.
    There are many other gems hidden around here, so stay a while, i'm sure you'll like it.

Thank Post
    Just a warning to any exisiting / new users to this script.

If you are trying to change a mixture of columns, which is possible with the latest version of the script, do manually try one first and test the displacement for the resultset.

I have just been doing a load of changes and realised that a data-entry column has a different set of resultsets shown to a data review column. This may or may not affect you but is worth bearing in mind.

For me, there were 3 "Key Stage Validated Result" Resultsets which were imported with the supplier SIMS. To get rid of them i just made them inactive. Now i can use the same displacement for both types of columns. You may need to check this on your systems.

Alternatively if the two different types of columns are in contiguous rows, you can just run the script twice with different numbers. Don't forget to reset to inital conditions by clicking on the shortcut to basic, so the system is primed before running again.

Good luck and let me know how you get on, both good and bad.

17. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

LosOjos (17th October 2011), Mirmo (17th October 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast