+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS AM7 Template Change resultset script in Technical; Just had a tester from SupportNet, and found a couple of extra caveats. The instructions may be slightly wrong. The ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Just had a tester from SupportNet, and found a couple of extra caveats.

The instructions may be slightly wrong. The focus at the start of running the script should be in the template name box. This is where it expects the cursor to be, and is where it is automatically placed when you open a template though the browser.

The reference to highlighting the bottom-most column, is merely to make sure that's where it starts, in fact you could highlight a point higher up if required, and change columns immediately above that, so long as the cursor moves to the name field before running the script.

Another key issue was, that upon testing with Summer 2010, 7.132, the original script works fine on regular installations. I'm assuming the SLG version works on those sites too - can you check LosOjos please?

The extra variant is i think if the school has partnership exchange, i think, based on fact that there was a "partnership type" tab on recent tester's shortcut menu. It was not an SLG school, and thus, by fluke the SLG version of the script works there.

I would appreciate any testers that can confirm this is the case, and also need to test a school that has both SLG and this partnership option.

I'll build the new efficient versions up, once things are tested. Also need to test on later upgrades, but i'll be going straight to Spring Release so wont have access to the Autumn 2010.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Morning Vik,

I can confirm that the SLG 7.128v2 script is working with SIMS version 7.136, as it yet again saved me a good hour of pointing and clicking a few days ago

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

vikpaw (9th February 2011)

Thank Post
    And I take it you don't have the partnership type shortcut link and you're not a partnership school?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    That's correct Vik

Thank Post
    This is really useful. Thanks Vik. I'll give it a go...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    Cool, obviously take note of the caveats, and report back how it goes including your setup. It usually takes a tweak before it works perfectly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    Any joy Dee?

I'm hopefully playing with the latest upgrade tomorrow, and no doubt there will be changes to the structure which will require a tweak.

In the meantime, i took a video of my last usage and was super impressed at how well it did, because even for me, it sometimes conks out or has a fit:

YouTube - Capita SIMS Assessment Manager Resultset change script in action

Thank Post
    With an ODBC connection to the relevant table in the SIMS DB, changing the resultset can be achieved with a find and replace in seconds. I realise this is probably unsupported though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajp233 View Post
    With an ODBC connection to the relevant table in the SIMS DB, changing the resultset can be achieved with a find and replace in seconds. I realise this is probably unsupported though
    It's definitely PROHIBIDADO.
    Hence our fanciful workarounds.

There's lots i have done in SQL on test server, but this has to be done in front end. It's pretty good, the only pain is that Capita developers don't seem to have any standard tabbing order, which means it needs testing with each update. Add to that the fact that depending on your licence you see different options on the screen and it's a bit of a mess and not easily shared, luckily i've got a few friends like Josh who test on other setups.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 24th March 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: addition.

Thank Post
    Yes...indeed PROHIBIDADO ... lol

Your script is good by the way.

Thank Post
    Thanks.
    There are some tweaks needed, that i've come up with, to make it more user friendly and eliminate some of the prompts, but i was waiting for the next upgrade as it will no doubt change the way it needs to work!
    I'd like to compile it as an app at some point too.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Hi Vik.

I've tried this script and it's saved me a HUGE amount of time! Thank you very much.

It doesn't complete, however. I've only tried on a couple of templates, and it stopped early on both, after having done around the same number of changes. The worst case one has 176 columns, the last 4 of which are forumulae. After I stripped off the Student Details columns at the top (it doesn't like those if you tell the script to zoom all the way to the top, obviously!), I set it to go up 175 columns, then process 172 of them (data review columns, 1 result set down). It only manages to change approx 120 of them before stopping, usually with a column's details box still up. I suspect , despite having a fairly quick PC, that the software can't keep up with the button presses, but I'm not sure. Maybe inserting a Wait prior to each column would help. To finish off the templates, I just re-ran it with modified settings.

SIMS Ver.: 7.136, no SLG

All in all, truly mind-blowingly fantastic! I wonder how much time I would have saved myself over the year's I've been using SIMS if I'd had this...?

Pete.
    Last edited by NorthernSands; 27th March 2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Typo!

Thank Post
    Good to hear from you Pete, useful feedback.

You don't have to zoom all the way to the top, so could leave those header columns in there, but then have to count really well.

You're right sometimes the systems do suffer at not being able to cope. I've done more than 120 cols before, but you have to make sure you have no other apps open and there are no network glitches or other interruptions. Having outlook open is a killer. I could add another wait i guess but then it wouldn't be as flashy - If it doesn't blow your mind then i've not achieved what i set out to achieve

Re-running is easy enough, and in fact it can be set to start from any position with a zero offset, but you just have to make sure you prime it correctly. If i share it, i tend to only give the basic instructions, most people can then modify to their needs once they've seen how it works.

The next version will probably have quite a few modifications.

I need to get in touch with you actually about my attendance certificate template modification - alters the week to arabic standard - will catch you on a pm bukra insh'allah

Thank Post
    I can see great potential for this but I am struggling with it. I can't cope with counting the hundreds of rows in my templates to work out the sections I need to change. I have big blocks of data entry columns, with the odd formula in between which makes it go wrong. Can I suggest you use Alt U to exit the column details dialog? That would make it work for Data entry columns and Formula columns I believe.

I'll try it later but now I need to just get the template changed I am afraid.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nkh97 View Post
    I can see great potential for this but I am struggling with it. I can't cope with counting the hundreds of rows in my templates to work out the sections I need to change. I have big blocks of data entry columns, with the odd formula in between which makes it go wrong. Can I suggest you use Alt U to exit the column details dialog? That would make it work for Data entry columns and Formula columns I believe.

I'll try it later but now I need to just get the template changed I am afraid.
    Thanks for using it
    Apologies it doesn't currently do what you require, you have however guessed some of the changes that i have been alluding to, in terms of making it more efficient and also removing some of those prompts.

I was hoping to have the time to make it into some sort of application rather than a .vbs file (which can be seen as having security implications).

I can get you a modded version if you'd like that will alt+u, but wont be very well tested. get in touch if you're interested.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 4th April 2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: sense

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast