+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS AM7 Template Change resultset script in Technical; i have to go cook now, but let me know how you get on, i'll check in later, and split ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    i have to go cook now, but let me know how you get on, i'll check in later, and split the thread then too as we are way off topic now.
    i can add some pauses in the script if that helps so it can be stepped through, or if you open it up in textpad/notepad, you can try following through it yourself, which is what i do for troubleshooting e.g. first step is thirteen tabs to bottom row in list, next up arrow 10 times....etc.

2. Thanks to vikpaw from:

LosOjos (28th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    Thanks and no need for the apology, it's not your fault I can't get your script running on my machine! I think we must be set up a little differently, when I have time I'll go through the script and see where it's going wrong for me. Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    any joy yet?

Thank Post
    Hi Vikpaw,

I haven't had a chance to look at this in the past few days, but I sat down just to work through it properly and got it working quite easily

The problem was it wasn't correctly selecting the first column, it needed to 'TAB' once more, so I changed that and now it works.

My theory is that it's because we are using the learning gateway, and therefore have a tick box for this: if you don't then that would explain why you don't need that extra 'TAB'

Thank Post
    So glad to hear it works for you

This is with the latest version now right? so you can change all 3 types of column?

We do have learning gateway, at least it's paid for, but not implemented so possibly i am missing a check box. Is it one that toggles whether or not the column appears on the gateway or something like that...?

I should add a variable for that too.

Anyway, good news, hopefully it can save you some time.

Thank Post
    It's a check box in the heading section of the template to set whether the marksheets within that template are available on the gateway or not, although I ought to research it a little more as I know teachers can access their marksheets regardless of whether that box is ticked or not (anyway, that's going off topic...)

But yes, it works fine now I've added an extra tab in, so thanks for sharing! it's saved me a lot of time already, I only wish I'd though of it myself!

Thank Post
    I've been doing it for years, since AM6, which was much better at receiving keyboard commands, my first script merely held down the spacebar, allowing me to move rows in template up or down, after bulk adding them.

Thank Post
    Hi Vikpaw,

being playing with this script a little and have to say despite my efforts i am unable to get it working. It gets as far as the result set selection, which it does but seems to stick before the update button is pressed.

Looking at your script its basically the

ws.SendKeys "+{TAB}"

That seems to be incorrect in my configuration as it gets stuck on the "hidden" check box, If i try to change the command to a fixed number of tabs it gets stuck on the next column

Any ideas?

Sims version 7.128, trying to update a template with only data entry in itusing variables 34,35,4,0 passed to script

Any help greatly appreciated and nice work by the way for coming up with this that (if i can make it work) will save me hours of work!

regards

Naz

Thank Post
    Hopefully Vikpaw won't mind me chipping in, but before it worked for me, I had to change the first line that sent 'TAB' keys to make it reach the right column, want to try it?
    Attached Files Attached Files

11. Thanks to LosOjos from:

vikpaw (19th May 2010)

Thank Post
    No luck with that sorry, i get to right column and it opens and changes the result set but it does not quite reach the update button before going to next column.

Thank Post
    Hi MACIT

Sorry for the delay in response, my internet has been flaky all morning, and down for the last couple of hours.

Can you confirm that you are using the 7.128 version that i uploaded second. Not the first uploaded file.

Also, that the type of column is defo data entry, because if it can't reach the Update button after changing result set it usually means it's a different type of column. Maybe data entry by formula...?

If you can post an image of your update screen on that column it would be useful.

I've attached mine, it should need 3 TABS to get to the update button, if that is where you think it is getting stuck. [2 for Read Only cols and 4 for Formula]. This is fixed by the ParseReview function at the end of the script based on your choice for parameter 4.

The line you specify represents a Shift Tab which is done after the resultset update button is clicked and you are back on the main template screen. It should move focus back away from the icons on the right hand side of panel 2 back to the column that was just edited.

Maybe you could try different figures for parameter 4, to see if that makes a difference, but only test it for change to 1 column so it's easier to see.

18-05-2010-14.49.50.jpg

I'm intrigued to know if you have yet another variant on SIMS install that can affect the script.

Just a final thought before i hit Submit - the script is designed for speed, and so depends very much on the response of your computer, any other background process or application that causes a delay could mean the script gets ahead of itself before SIMS has responded. So perhaps the right number of TABS is being sent, but SIMS isn't responding quick enough and the command is going astray. It's unlikely but worth considering if we find nothing else wrong with the setup. However, if you can send 34 UP commands and the focus hits the correct column it's unlikely you are getting a delay.
    To rule out a delay, you could change line 59 "ws.SendKeys d" with

Code:
    ws.SendKeys {TAB}
    wscript.sleep wait
    ws.SendKeys {TAB}
    wscript.sleep wait
    ws.SendKeys {TAB}
    wscript.sleep wait
    which would add in some delays and allow you to troubleshoot, but also hard code the script to only work for Date Entry cols.

alternatively, you could replace the "wscript.sleep wait" in the above modification with "wscript.echo" so you get a pop up OK box after every TAB.

Hope that helps, let me know if you want me to make any changes for you, i'm working on an improved version when i get time. Will be leaving for the day in 45mins though.

@LosOjos/Josh - of course i don't mind, not at all. Thanks for covering for me in my absence.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 18th May 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    I've updated to capture the cancel button, so you have a bit more flexibility in testing, basically it actually works and quits the script!

Also got the SLG version created, with a credit for LosOjos

I will look to make this a one time selectable option at some point, possibly compiling the script as a .exe in VB, and make it rely on a .ini file

I'm also going to put in some validation to ensure only numeric data is entered, but the script is starting to get messy already so will do it as a function i think...

The first script has been tested with and works on 7.132. The second script should work on non-SLG sites who have Partnership Exchange.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vikpaw; 9th February 2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Update on compatibility

15. 3 Thanks to vikpaw:

LosOjos (18th May 2010), MACIT (18th May 2010), NorthernSands (27th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Vickpaw,

WORKING! using your latest script and adding a few waits in the script completes a 49 column template in a little over 18 seconds.

I cannot tell you how greatful I am for this!!! Great work and Thank you.

Such a shame though we have to go to these lengths to make software do things it should be capable of in the first place

Thank Post
    Great stuff MACIT.
    Maybe i'll consider leaving those waits in, and add another 1 time parameter in the .ini file that will add the pauses as a kind of test mode.
    At least it works for you that's the main thing. And you know what you need to modify to change a different type of column.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MACIT View Post
    Such a shame though we have to go to these lengths to make software do things it should be capable of in the first place
    But don't you see, it is capable of doing it. SIMS isn't at fault, you just can't move the mouse and click the keys quick enough!! :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast