+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Server side to be 64 bit in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Sorry? R2 hasn't been out for 2 years - July 22, 2009 ( Windows Server 2008 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Sorry? R2 hasn't been out for 2 years - July 22, 2009 (Windows Server 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Windows Server 2008 has and is supported.
    I based '2 years' on the comment made by Phil Neal - namely, that it won't be supported until next year. ie. 2 years.

I know a number of companies going Vista because Windows 7 isn't mature, even though they are going to be stuck with it for many, many years.

I stick by my statement of Capita needs more people or at least open source some of it (yes, lets start that argument!)

PS: Wonder why Capita is keeping quiet
    Capita generally stay quiet on these issues, only appearing to correct incorrect assumptions and mistakes said by others. As I'm basing all my comments on numbers that are sourced to the Becta, and their own accounts, along with my own opinion, then there isn't much they can say to argue back (well, not without annoying me even more).

I agree they need more people.

I'm actually wondering kind of why Capita still owns SIMS.net - it doesn't seem to fit in with their core business model of 'focussing on expanding markets'. The education MIS market isn't really an expanding market... The only way they can make it expand is by introducing new products (SLG, SIMS mobile etc...), or by trying to become popular in other countries - something which will require significant investment, to topple existing systems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @sted
    Would question why you have a server for 2 workstations. Central hosting could be another way forward. They're are other options.
    Standard way many schools are set up due to the way they have spilt networks due to LEA edicts, and the admin network being managed by the LEA.

Thank Post
    Has Becta now gone the other way?

Didn't you see:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.ramesys.com
    The Capita Group Plc ("Capita") today announces that it has acquired Ramesys (Holdings) Ltd ("Ramesys") from Lloyds Bank

Thank Post
    MP Margaret Moran described this as ‘using council resources to effectively set up a private business’.
    ... not exactly the best MP to have attached to a quote like that.

--

Last time I looked 2K8 and 2K8R2 are on the same MS support lifecycle and I couldn't care less which one it is for an app server, provided it's 64bit (in-place upgradable in future if absolutely necessary).

Thank Post
    @sted
    Would question why you have a server for 2 workstations. Central hosting could be another way forward. They're are other options.
    as mentioned lea split the scopes and certain things need to be run from a certain ip address i personally like having equipment on site that way someone is responsible for it rather than it just being in the ether

Thank Post
    Arguements for both really.

My god how this has got off topic.

Thank Post
    Matt, I made the mistake of taking five day's leave - hence I've been quiet but thanks for your support in my absence!!

We support and by that I mean thoroughly test on up to 3 server operating systems - if we dropped support for 2003 there would be a whole set of other complaints.

I can assure you that we pay market rates for developers & testers and we have lots of them.

I won't comment on Wikipedia save to say that it isn't exactly unbiased. The District Auditor approved the settlement that Bedfordshire received.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234