+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, CMIS back to SIMS...anyone done this ? in Technical; One of our schools is returning to SIMS from Serco. We have CTF-ed the pupils in. The problem is that ...

Thank Post

CMIS back to SIMS...anyone done this ?

One of our schools is returning to SIMS from Serco. We have CTF-ed the pupils in.

The problem is that the school had to put leaving dates into Serco for all pupils in order to be able to create the CTFs.

Now, when we import the CTFs into SIMS the pupils have a start date thatís not correct Ė itís the date we created the CTFs.

This is causing us problems. Wondered if anyone else had come across this problem?

Any advice much appreciated.

coquet636
    Instead of leaving the students why not ust create a ctf using the create for another application method.

Then all students are left in cmis and you then have a ctf to import into SIM's.

Thank Post
    thanks for prompt reply...much appreciated. Does there not need to be a leaving date entered in CMIS ?

Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Instead of leaving the students why not ust create a ctf using the create for another application method.

Then all students are left in cmis and you then have a ctf to import into SIM's.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Feebs View Post
    thanks for prompt reply...much appreciated. Does there not need to be a leaving date entered in CMIS ?
    Not necessarily, you can create CTF files for transfering data around other than when the student leaves or joins the school. I seem to recall a couple of applications which use the CTF file as their prefered import method, Exam board software and the like. It's been a while since I used Sercos product, but I expect somewhere in there wil be a CTF export option which will not need a leaving date.

Mike.

coquet636
    i have never needed to put one in..... use it when kids are referred to outside agencies but have to stay on our roll.
    Last edited by coquet636; 24th March 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Problem we now have is that the CTF from CMIS has already been imported into SIMS.net so each pupil imported has a school history entry showing the current school and a leaving date (the one entered in CMIS) and the pupil record has a start date of the day after which isnít correct as they have been at the school for a few years.

This is causing problems in our Capita One system as the start dates are obviously different.

Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    i have never needed to put one in..... use it when kids are referred to outside agencies but have to stay on our roll.

coquet636
    Not done it in SIM's, but when importing into CMIS you could overwrite all data already stored. Is there not a way to do this in SIM's it was just a tick box in CMIS

Thank Post
    Hello there, I've been a long time reader of this forum and after seeing this post - I couldn't resist any longer, I've got to chip in!

You should be able to amend all of your students dates of admission, as long as your academic year(s) exist prior to when they were added in by the CTF.

The biggest problem with this is that there is no bulk update feature to amend students dates of admission and that for however far you backdate the students entry into the school, you'll also have to add attendance data (apply a code over a date range is the quickest way to do that) and all other data.

It's a massive task which will involve a lot of manual data entry as a CTF only contains basic student details, good luck!

Thank Post
    We do offer a chargable service (it is not automated) that will take over a lot more than the CTF data.

Thank Post
    CTF export option which will not need a leaving date
    In Facility it's on this menu:
    Returns / CTF / Produce File for Other Application

Shouldn't Capita have pointed that one out? Do they not offer changeover guidance?

How much have you done to those pupils since? - might be easier to get rid of them and reimport.

Thank Post
    Can't remove and re-import unfortunately as the timetable is now in, so looks like we have got some considerable manual amending to do.

Looks like the only thing we can do is to change the admission date in SIMS.net back to their original start date there are over 500 pupils so this is going to be a huge job.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralDreedle View Post
    In Facility it's on this menu:
    Returns / CTF / Produce File for Other Application

Shouldn't Capita have pointed that one out? Do they not offer changeover guidance?

How much have you done to those pupils since? - might be easier to get rid of them and reimport.
    Last edited by Feebs; 24th March 2010 at 02:26 PM.

JPS
    Thank Post

CMIS - SIMS ???

Trick is dont switch back. Capita obviously have a very poor implementation process if they stuffed up on something that simple but yet important!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    lol.
    i'm actually interested in the process a school goes through that leads to such a major change, is it function driven, senior management, teachers. how long an eval process goes on...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Trick is dont switch back. Capita obviously have a very poor implementation process if they stuffed up on something that simple but yet important!
    JPS,
    That seems a tad bit harsh! (or maybe even ridiculously harsh even!)
    And, maybe, very telling for a second ever post in these forums.
    Perhaps you should re-read the original post - they put a leaving date in, in Serco!

One cannot blame any software for human error!

Or maybe Serco won't allow a CTF to be created without a Leaving Date? If this is so, then perhaps your stones need throwing in a different direction?
    Last edited by Sivadam; 23rd May 2010 at 02:59 PM.

JPS
    Thank Post

CTF from Facility

Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    JPS,
    That seems a tad bit harsh! (or maybe even ridiculously harsh even!)
    And, maybe, very telling for a second ever post in these forums.
    Perhaps you should re-read the original post - they put a leaving date in, in Serco!

One cannot blame any software for human error!

Or maybe Serco won't allow a CTF to be created without a Leaving Date? If this is so, then perhaps your stones need throwing in a different direction?
    Apologies, but I just speak my mind. I appreciate it is only my opinion. Facility is able to create a CTF for another application without any leaving date specified.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast