+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.net tabulated reg group report in Technical; Hi Guys, The behaviour coordinators here are looking to print a list of each students in all reg groups with ...

Thank Post

SIMS.net tabulated reg group report

Hi Guys,

The behaviour coordinators here are looking to print a list of each students in all reg groups with a few extra columns next to their names to tick/cross whether individual requirements of the uniform are being met.

I'm struggling to work out an easy way to get each of these lists to print to a new page per reg group. I currently have a report in sims with reg/surname/forename and extra "blank" fields. If I do a sims "World List report" it will display to a table, but each reg group runs on from the next. I have found this guide on how to separate categories in a mail merge to new pages but cannot fathom how to get it working correctly.

Just wondering if any of you do something similar or have any more ideas for a solution.

Thanks.

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Hi Matt,

when you create your report, if you change the output type to RTF, you'll have some options on how to break pages. Make sure your report is sorted by reg group, then you'll see a check box to break page by reg group

3. Thanks to LosOjos from:

saundersmatt (22nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    If you wait a few days then you will find that the NT4 type reports being introduced in the Spring Upgrade will do exactly this in exactly the same way that NT4 does!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 23rd March 2010 at 09:38 AM.

5. Thanks to Sivadam from:

saundersmatt (22nd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thank you both greatly.

I will use the RTF reporting for now, and investigate improved reporting in the next upgrade.

Thanks again.

Matt

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    All good.

There are however some pre-built reports that do what you are after, to save you making your own, though tbh, i would edit them anyway, so you don't get the header/footer, and other gumf(not sure how to spell that!).

Search your reports list for Registration Groups, Registration Groups (Dated with Columns), and similar.

They are from around 2005, so all you have to do on the parameter window is remember to tick 'by pass effective date / use today' and then select from the options. You may just want to edit this report to always default to Today, but at least you wont have to start from scratch.

:O)

Thank Post
    Saundersmatt,
    There are a goodly number of rptdefs on SupportNet, in File Sharing, that you may want to use.
    Number 439 is one of mine but it was uploaded in September 2007 and so I cannot guarantee it still works in that format.
    Mine will have been edited many times since then. In any case these reports will probably be redundant in a couple of weeks so there is no real point in wasting time trying to get RTF reports to work now! Mind you - it'll take our staff an age to move away from using my reports to using those that the new reporting will bring - even though it will be easier to use!

Thank Post
    Yes, so like i said, use the built in reports. It's already done for you, you can just tell your users how to run them.

As for the new system, any upgrade that brings useful functionality usually comes at a price. I'd wait and see what problems early adopters have before relying on the new reporting system. It doesn't matter how well tested they are, it's always worth doing your own testing.

Plus, i'm sure i've discussion regarding the fact that as we move to the new reporting system there needs to be some conversion of old reports to new, which will be a pain.

Thank Post
    Vic,
    I am not talking about the new Reporting Engine based on SQL Server 2008.
    I am talking about the new functionality that is coming in the Spring Release of NovaT type reports in SIMS - a totally different project. The first delivery of this functionality has exactly what Ross requires - he is, indeed, asking for an NT4 Report - precisely what Nova has been providing for decades. The second part of the project brings in the rest of NT4 Reporting.
    I did, after all, attend the initial meeting re. this and the testing of the first build. Unfortunately, I could not make the final testing as my EO colleague was on long term sick at the time and so I had to pick up her work at a very busy time.
    But I know it will work!

Vic,
    One wonders why you want to find some fault with what seems to be each post that I put on here.
    Maybe it is time to stop contributing to Edugeek and just concentrate on SupportNet - unless of course these forums go back to what they were before - knocking SIMS for no good reason. For the time being I seem to have helped quell that! However, if it does return then I will intervene again.
    Otherwise - Goodbye folks and thanks for the support of many of you that I have had in the past.

Mike Davis
    Last edited by Sivadam; 24th March 2010 at 07:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Vik,
    I am not talking about the new Reporting Engine based on SQL Server 2008.
    I am talking about the new functionality that is coming in the Spring Release of NovaT type reports in SIMS - a totally different project. The first delivery of this functionality has exactly what Ross requires - he is, indeed, asking for an NT4 Report - precisely what Nova has been providing for decades. The second part of the project brings in the rest of NT4 Reporting.
    I did, after all, attend the initial meeting re. this and the testing of the first build. Unfortunately, I could not make the final testing as my EO colleague was on long term sick at the time and so I had to pick up her work at a very busy time.
    But I know it will work!

Vik,
    One wonders why you want to find some fault with what seems to be each post that I put on here.
    Maybe it is time to stop contributing to Edugeek and just concentrate on SupportNet - unless of course these forums go back to what they were before - knocking SIMS for no good reason. For the time being I seem to have helped quell that! However, if it does return then I will intervene again.
    Otherwise - Goodbye folks and thanks for the support of many of you that I have had in the past.

Mike Davis
    Apologies for the confusion regarding the reporting functionality, it's not clear what is and isn't part of this new system. Even SupportNet doesn't have full information regarding the Spring release yet, at least none that's immediately obvious. Once again unless we are proactively searching for something, we aren't informed of what is changing.

It's okay that you know Nova-T4 did things that were helpful, but to people that have never used it or needed to, the 2 lines in the pre-release notes are not useful.

My point still stands, that relying on a new upgrade isn't a reliable solution, when you want/need a fix straight away. Just because one thing works, it doesn't mean that other areas wont cause you problems. Also, it's not always possible to run the latest version straight away, users may have to wait on their tech support to do the upgrade, or wait for SLG updates - you of all people should know this!!

You've given your opinion once, you wanted the OP to wait for the Spring release. When i show what is clearly the simplest immediate solution to the problem, one that works, for all users without needing to wait or use NT4, you pipe in plugging your own reports that you 'cannot guarantee' will work. You follow up by saying there's no point wasting time on that method:

Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Saundersmatt,
    There are a goodly number of rptdefs on SupportNet, in File Sharing, that you may want to use.
    Number 439 is one of mine but it was uploaded in September 2007 and so I cannot guarantee it still works in that format.
    Mine will have been edited many times since then. In any case these reports will probably be redundant in a couple of weeks so there is no real point in wasting time trying to get RTF reports to work now! Mind you - it'll take our staff an age to move away from using my reports to using those that the new reporting will bring - even though it will be easier to use!
    Did you even read my post? Or, was it just another opportunity for you to plug SupportNet when it wasn't warranted? I don't see the value in that contribution.

It's unfortunate that you see my post as picking fault with yours, when all i was doing was refocussing on the original problem, and commenting generally on issues around SIMS upgrades. There was some confusion regarding what you were referring to but that is besides the point. It's nothing personal against you.

One wonders why you cannot see your own faults without getting defensive and threatening to leave. If you feel that way then 'Goodbye', it will be a loss to the forum; when you can and do provide useful information that helps the membership, but i think we'll cope. Nonetheless, i know you wont leave, because you can't resist not having the last word let alone comment on 'our' views here!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post

Plus, i'm sure i've discussion regarding the fact that as we move to the new reporting system there needs to be some conversion of old reports to new, which will be a pain.
    I haven't yet seen the beta release but can only assume from the descriptions I have read that this new reporting funtion is what we evaluated some time ago in Cardiff.

Capita were adimant that there would be no conversion of old reports, as the systems are so very different, and that the old and new would run along side each other for sometime (years).

Thank Post
    Yes, but i think the crux was that the old were not a subset of the new, so they can never become the new, parallel running is just the way around that. Basically, the old reports either become defunct or rewritten in the new style. I find it hard to believe that all the old ones will work, if the new system is so much better, it's bound to require changes that will break what we've done in the past.

No matter, i've started planning for it, as the hope of better reporting keeps me going...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Yes, but i think the crux was that the old were not a subset of the new, so they can never become the new, parallel running is just the way around that. Basically, the old reports either become defunct or rewritten in the new style. I find it hard to believe that all the old ones will work, if the new system is so much better, it's bound to require changes that will break what we've done in the past.

No matter, i've started planning for it, as the hope of better reporting keeps me going...
    Why are you so adamant that the new reporting system will break your old reports? It's going to be a separate module running along side the old reporting module, why would that break your old reports in any way?

An improved reporting system for Sims is much needed, bring it on I say!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post

If both systems are running alongside each other for 3 or 4 years, it's simple. Start all new reports in the new system and continue using old ones until you can replace them. I really don't see an issue.

I would prefer this scenario than an effort to 'convert' old reports to new ones via some wizzard.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Why are you so adamant that the new reporting system will break your old reports? It's going to be a separate module running along side the old reporting module, why would that break your old reports in any way?

An improved reporting system for Sims is much needed, bring it on I say!
    It's just the impression i got from discussions i've been part of. Current changes often cause issues with reports, one can only expect that as they stop supporting the old system there is an increased likelihood that these older ones will need converting or modifying.

I'm all in favour of a new and more flexible reporting system, many of us have been waiting a long time for this, especially access to a wider and deeper set of fields to query on.

However as with most things, this will involve some big changes. For those people that have spent a long time creating numerous custom reports for use in their own school, there must be at least a little trepidation about the upcoming changes.

I'm quite happy with parallel running, i'd be shocked if that wasn't the plan, but nonetheless, if we can't convert, at some point the old reports will need to be migrated somehow. My point was merely to emphasise that we can't rely on old reports, the countdown has started, be it 4 years or 4 months. At least with the Capita supplied ones, we can hope they will migrate them to the new system, and if they remove them from the old list, then the tidy up process of our own reports will be that much easier.

Thank Post
    I've not seen what the new reporting system will do, but from the phrase "using SQL Server's Reporting Engine", I'd assume that it's a step towards the ability to create more complex/advanced reports, and possibly hook in business reporting tools to do them.

The reports that exist at the moment are based around the concept of exporting data returned by a view in the database to a text/xml/other file; there wouldn't be a need to change or remove this, as the new stuff will not need to be linked to it!

To be honest, I think the new functionality is more a question of things like better analysis (cross-tabulation) reports. I read the "NT4-style" reports as "NT6 won't give you the reports you're used to getting from NT4, so we'll make these available as a view in the main reporting section" rather than a change in actual functionality, but it's hard to tell without the new release!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast