+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Cmis with AD logins in Technical; Hi All Brum LEA are not going to support single sign on with Cmis and Eportal Does any one have ...

Thank Post

Cmis with AD logins

Hi All

Brum LEA are not going to support single sign on with Cmis and Eportal

Does any one have any ideas or be able to help set this up (if its possible)

Want our AD logins to be used for cmis and eportal

any thoughts

Thanks

Phil

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don`t beleve its possible with Facility itself to use AD SSO, but I know you can buy the SSO add on for eportal.

Do you want that though?

At least with two usernames/passwords a machine left loged on by a member of staff can`t be used to access eportal.

Thank Post
    fil_b the BGFL are going to support a single sign on that they are developing which I think is part of the SIF program.
    I've been asking about this for a long time as well because as we stand now we have logons for the pc, email, e-portal and moodle and all of them are more than capable of having SSO.
    I have also heard that they are working on a single AD scheme for all brum schools to be part of.
    Rich

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    fil_b the BGFL are going to support a single sign on that they are developing which I think is part of the SIF program.
    I've been asking about this for a long time as well because as we stand now we have logons for the pc, email, e-portal and moodle and all of them are more than capable of having SSO.
    I have also heard that they are working on a single AD scheme for all brum schools to be part of.
    Rich
    spoken with chris at Link2ict and he said they are not supporting it or will work with it.

i asked about using ad for sign on with cmis and using sso and said they not working with any of it.

only info i got is that others school have spoken to serco to get it to work?
    Last edited by fil_b; 19th March 2010 at 08:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fil_b View Post
    spoken with chris at Link2ict and she said they are not supporting it or will work with it.

i asked about using ad for sign on with cmis and using sso and said they not working with any of it.

only info i got is that others school have spoken to serco to get it to work?
    To get SSO to work in ePortal it does require the purchase of an additional licence. I think it's the usual £1 per pupil on role cost (I'm sure someone can confirm the costings).

The feature is one of the areas of ePortal Link2ICT do not support as it is an additional cost.

A lot of work is going on with the whole SIF and IDM thing and this should hopefully allow for future single sign on to products such as Moodle & Zimbra, but the current version of ePortal is not Shibboleth compliant so is unlikely to be included.

Thank Post
    if its a an additional cost - and the school wants to pay it - why won't LINK2ICT support it?

Sound like another one of their trival issues - just like CMIS upgrades!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fil_b View Post
    spoken with chris at Link2ict and she said

Lol, if you saw Chris you wouldnt be calling HIM she hehe

Thank Post
    Seriously though do you really want staff to be using the same username and password for ePortal and for their logons?

Given the information which can be accessed on ePortal, I feel happier having that extra layer of security of a different set of credentials.

The username is different for AD and Facility, and teaching staff cannot reset their own ePort password.

9. Thanks to Trapper from:

CHR1S (18th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Seriously though do you really want staff to be using the same username and password for ePortal and for their logons?

Given the information which can be accessed on ePortal, I feel happier having that extra layer of security of a different set of credentials.

The username is different for AD and Facility, and teaching staff cannot reset their own ePort password.
    This...

Well said

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We dont use eportal/cmis but we do have SIMS and Capita WebParts, and one thing that is in place is the different usernames and passwords.

Because we have SIMS WebParts Hosted by the LEA which i would hope to be bringing internal soon if at all possible and have on our own SharePoint setup, one thing that i like at the moment and will be trying to keep the same is the Different Logins.

If a Students became aware of the password for a staff login, they could access the MIS Easily but with the different passwords this does give a 2nd layer of security which i believe is something that you should look into alot at the moment especially as there are some people out there who do like to leave themselves logged in, or cover teachers who get given temp logins who leave there passwords lying around the school!

Just my 2p but i would not go ahead with SSO to be honest especially with an MIS... Email, OCS, VLE's, or other software yes i dont see an issue as such but MIS i would stay away from it mate.

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Lol, if you saw Chris you wouldnt be calling HIM she hehe
    dam typos

my bad

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    If a Students became aware of the password for a staff login, they could access the MIS Easily but with the different passwords this does give a 2nd layer of security which i believe is something that you should look into alot at the moment especially as there are some people out there who do like to leave themselves logged in, or cover teachers who get given temp logins who leave there passwords lying around the school!

Just my 2p but i would not go ahead with SSO to be honest especially with an MIS... Email, OCS, VLE's, or other software yes i dont see an issue as such but MIS i would stay away from it mate.

James.
    The following document describes the need for security of MIS data:

http://schools.becta.org.uk/upload-d...ote_access.pdf

It seems that even classroom access can be regarded as remote and therefore requires two factor authentication.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garrysaddington View Post
    The following document describes the need for security of MIS data:

http://schools.becta.org.uk/upload-d...ote_access.pdf

It seems that even classroom access can be regarded as remote and therefore requires two factor authentication.
    Yep, Even SIMS Locally (using the full applications) the staff have a different login for SIMS.

So basically staff have:

- Network Login via AD
    - SIMS.net Login via SIMS Database
    - SIMS WebParts Login via External AD

either way if they want to get into SIMS.net the password is different in both cases using full blown sims via the client or using webparts.

James.

Thank Post
    We have been told that they are phasing out CMIS in a few years anyway. Dont know what with tho?

Whats this about a single AD structure for Brum?

I really hope its not like in Solihull where I can see the whole AD structure for every school in the LEA?

I wanted to add a printer once and had to trawl through the AD structure of about 400 printers which were located god knows where!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread