+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CMIS & Parental Engagement in Technical; Hi - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a CMIS set up and give parents access to ...

Thank Post

CMIS & Parental Engagement

Hi - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a CMIS set up and give parents access to all the relevant bits & pieces (either through ePortal or other means Moodle/VLP). Happy to receive a PM and if you're within a reasonable distance of Northampton - maybe even ome & have a look/chat?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi,

We're currently in the process of setting up parental access through ePortal. We're starting off trialing it with a small group of pupils. I set it up in my previous school too and it was all pretty straightforward and didn't really have many queries/problems from the parents (famous last words and this time it'll go wrong!)

3. Thanks to donalouise from:

SpuffMonkey (17th March 2010)

Thank Post
    We are publishing our CMIS data to parents using our Sharepoint VLE.
    It is just a simple sharepoint installation with webparts from Salamandersoft (SalamanderSoft Limited).
    We provide: Attendance (AM/PM & Lesson by Lesson), Student Events, Catering Balance, Contact details, Reward Points and a few others. All pulled directly from CMIS with graphs. Salamandersoft has parts for SIMS too though.

5. Thanks to unclesamo from:

Thank Post
    Thomas Deacon Academy, Peterborough. (2200 pupils ) Very local to you. Good coffee and bacon rolls . Drop in one morning before 9:30 and I'll tell you how we provide 100% of families with access to their childs data via ePortal.

Martin Byford

7. Thanks to mbyrew from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Hi - I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a CMIS set up and give parents access to all the relevant bits & pieces (either through ePortal or other means Moodle/VLP). Happy to receive a PM and if you're within a reasonable distance of Northampton - maybe even ome & have a look/chat?

Thanks
    One question to ask in this process, will you be actually engaging parents or just reporting to them online?

Enabling access via eportal will allow the school to meet the 2010 requirement, but will it engage parents in their student(s) learning?

Allowing parental access to moodle (for example) will allow parents to see the 'soft data' the teacher feedback on quizzes etc. This will give parents a context to the 'hard data' that schools report home.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyrew View Post
    Thomas Deacon Academy, Peterborough. (2200 pupils ) Very local to you. Good coffee and bacon rolls . Drop in one morning before 9:30 and I'll tell you how we provide 100% of families with access to their childs data via ePortal.

Martin Byford
    Thanks for the offer Martin - I might well take you up on that in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Thank Post
    We have a full Facility/ePortal parental system set up and running for a year or so now including replacing girl-post with e-letters. You're welcome to come and see, PM me for location (it's a bit of a drive from Northampton, but not that far).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    One question to ask in this process, will you be actually engaging parents or just reporting to them online?

Enabling access via eportal will allow the school to meet the 2010 requirement, but will it engage parents in their student(s) learning?

Allowing parental access to moodle (for example) will allow parents to see the 'soft data' the teacher feedback on quizzes etc. This will give parents a context to the 'hard data' that schools report home.
    Interesting points mate

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread