+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Saving edited Individual Reports to Linked Documents in Technical; I have generated an Individual Report & Previewed it, via Word, in order to Edit & Print. If I try ...

Thank Post

Saving edited Individual Reports to Linked Documents

I have generated an Individual Report & Previewed it, via Word, in order to Edit & Print. If I try to save these changes, they haven't been saved the next time I Preview (probably because I am re-generating). How can I save the edited version to Linked Documents?
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts

Question

Hi Sallie
    EduGeek.

You are right, when you preview, you are merely looking at a copy of the file that is generated on the fly.

Why / What do you need to edit? It's best if you can make the edits in the underlying data and then regenerate an accurate copy. We do this including correcting spelling etc, so anyone can easily regenerate a decent copy.

If you want to upload your document, you need to save it locally, and then manually upload to the linked documents area for that student. The downside to this process is that it's manual, whereas the Individual Reporting area allows you to bulk upload the reports to all students.

However, i believe, but would need to check, that if you upload a series of documents, you can still make changes to them, and then the changes will be saved. It kind of implies this in the way the system works, and it stores local copies of files that it appears can be uploaded back to the record. I don't know whether it makes a new version or if it updates the original. I've a feeling it is an update.

You need to test this, the process would be to upload the document to the student(s) record and then open it from linked documents. make your changes and try to save, and see if they get stored. I'll go try it myself now as i'm interested.

Definitive guides and manuals for these things can be found on SupportNet of course, but you'll get a much broader range of experience here that isn't strictly limited to SIMs.

vik

Thank Post
    just checked and you can't update a file if you generate from assessment manager, but if you upload your own, and then edit, you can have different versions. however, my system is screwing up a little as it opens the file in internet explorer instead of word. nonetheless i think what you want to do is possible, though i wouldn't recommend it.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advise so far. The edits aren't possible via the underlying data so that's why I'm having to do a manual edit (for one student only - don't ask!). So, I can save the document locally but when edits are done & I need to upload to the linked docs area for that student, where is this area or is that something I need to ask my IT manager?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    You need to go in to "Focus > Student > Student Details", then do a search for the pupil in question.

Open up the page for that student, and on the left hand side of the screen you will see a list of links, one of which is labeled "Linked Documents".

Click on that, and in the pop-up window that opens click "New > General Document".

The next pop-up window allows you to type a general summary of what the document is, plus a lengthier description. I'd definitely put something in the "Summary" box (e.g. "Estimated Grades March 2010") as it makes it easier to recall this document at a later date. Most importantly, you need to click on the folder browser icon alongside "Attachments" to upload the document in question.

Remember to save and you're done

Thank Post
    You can do it!!!

Once you generated the reports for all students in Assessment Manager and get Assessment Manager to link them all students' linked documents, you can go into the student's in question who you wish to edit, by clicking on Focus|Student|Linked Docs and open the profiles document and edit it - then resave it!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    You can do it!!!

Once you generated the reports for all students in Assessment Manager and get Assessment Manager to link them all students' linked documents, you can go into the student's in question who you wish to edit, by clicking on Focus|Student|Linked Docs and open the profiles document and edit it - then resave it!!
    I don't have that menu option Kiran. Is it new?
    Or does it only relate to Profiles?
    The only obvious access i have to linked docs is when the student's info screen is open, linked docs is a link on the panel on the right.
    If I open a system uploaded file from here, i can only 'view' and it's read only. the Open option is ghosted.

Thank Post
    Same here, the Open option is greyed out; do I need higher privilege levels?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    You can do it!!!

AFAIK, that won't work with Individual Reports.

If it's only for one or two students, try what I said earlier, that will definitely work.

Thank Post
    Sorry - made a mistake I thought it would with AM/Profiles docs but won't!! Just make the changes on the read only copy and upload again?!

Thank Post
    Sorry - made a mistake I thought it would with AM/Profiles docs but won't!! Just make the changes on the read only copy and upload again?!
    yep, and then delete the original to save confusion/mistakes.
    it's okay in this instance as it's only for 1 student.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread