+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims December update in Technical; Just a heads up, if the december sims update goes wrong, it goes wrong.... Ours crashed out after doing the ...
    Thank Post

Sims December update

Just a heads up, if the december sims update goes wrong, it goes wrong....

Ours crashed out after doing the ADProvisioning update, so the database etc didn't update, and then it kept bombing out everytime we tried to run solus again.

So keep a good backup/copy of your setups folder just incase!!!!

Chris

Thank Post

Re: Sims December update

The December update hasn't be published yet, the latest one is November version 2.

I had a few similar errors a while back with SIMSAMPARKSetup.EXE

On our system I found that we didn't have the latest version of the file solus was expecting to update, so it kept generating errors.

In the end had to get capita to email me the correct version of the file to add to our setups folder.

Thank Post

this was probably nov2 then, didnt pay much attention.

Thank Post

I've had an e-mail telling me not to bother with november updates at the moment, it just arrived on my desk today.

Good job I do updates a few weeks after they get released.

Thank Post

We were told by the LA to update for Jans school census.

Done our November update and all went well.

Some good work on lesson register

Thank Post

Being a noob in the things of SIMS, I have been left with the job of supporting it whilst our part-time MIS/System Manager person is off. He loaded on the November update last week, and went off for his little break (till Wednesday next week). Then we started having database version errors on the clients- fixed by running the latest SIMSAPPLICATIONSETUP file...but I thought clients should auto update when using the SIMS shortcut?

Anyway, today we are seeing on systems an error when launching Lesson Monitor (Active X error), but the application still runs fine. Weird.

Anyone else with these issues?

By the way, waiting for several weeks after an update is published is complete logic to me. Why oh why doesn't MY System Manager do this? He loads an update on AS SOON as it is released. With only 800MB left on the C drive of the SIMS server I have told the Head that I think things will go tits up soon...

Paul
    Complete Noob@SIMS
    ops:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don't worry Paul ...

The next upgrade will fixt it ;-)

We had a few that didn't upgrade properly (poor wireless signal seemed to be the root cause ... but upgrading whilst walking round the college is not good) and deleting the local SIMS folder and running the setup with a cable plugged in sorted that ...

On Lesson monitor ... are you doing it 100% on line now or still doing some off-line?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    But I thought clients should auto update when using the SIMS shortcut?
    Yes, that's right, once a solus update has been run all stations SHOULD update.

Mind you, if they're laptops running off a wireless connection (as most of our sims users are here), and their connection drops out etc, it can really mess things up on that machine.

Sometimes db problems can be sorted using the dbupdate program.
    As far as I know it checks the db versions match the update signature etc and update if required, could be talking dog faeces though.

Chris

Thank Post

SOLUS (version 2.05) has roll-back functionality, meaning that if there is any problem with the upgrade, then the workstations should not be affected.

The wizard actually performs the application update in a temporary folder, and only copies the application related files into the Setups folder if there is a successful database upgrade.

SIMSLoad, which is run on each workstation - prior to launching SIMS, ensures that the Workstation is at the right version. If not - it will upgrade/downgrade as appropriate.

Further documentation on all of this can be found from within the SOLUS section of our corporate website - www.capitaes.co.uk/solus (click on the link to documentation.)

Regards,

Toby Belfield
    Product Manager
    Capita

Thank Post

Whoa Toby, you're brave openly acknowledging that you are a Capita employee. Expect 20,000 PMs on how to fix a multitude of problems (problems with SIMS? - never )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well he might be brave but he can use this as a two way thing find out our problems and sort them or find the answer. he is not brave just seems to want to help and promote the product and he will in return get ideas from us and feed them back. keep up the good work nice to see new faces people trying to help is always good.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    Being a noob in the things of SIMS, I have been left with the job of supporting it whilst our part-time MIS/System Manager person is off. He loaded on the November update last week, and went off for his little break (till Wednesday next week). Then we started having database version errors on the clients- fixed by running the latest SIMSAPPLICATIONSETUP file...but I thought clients should auto update when using the SIMS shortcut?

Anyway, today we are seeing on systems an error when launching Lesson Monitor (Active X error), but the application still runs fine. Weird.

Anyone else with these issues?
    Ok kinda late I know but Ive found that sometimes the install doesnt go so well. The fix for it is to rename/delete the sims directory and do a simsinst (assuming its just 1 or 2, otherwise get a script to rename/delete the sims directory and do the simsapplicationsetup, simsmanualsetup and simsamparksetup.). Your active x problem will go away if you do that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread