+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Migrating from Nova T4 - Nova T6 in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Migrating from Nova T4 - Nova T6

Good morning everybody!

Over the Easter holidays, I'm going to swap over to some new wonderfully fast Admin servers.

The Deputy Head has asked can I migrate the school from Nova T4 to Nova T6 at the same time

Now, this is where the fun begins... Does anyone have a guide on how to do this?

We don't have SIMS.net as here in Pembrokeshire the LA decided Integris G2 was better (read cheaper) so I think I'm right in saying that I need T4 to do cover etc.

Ideally Id like to have a fresh install of both on the server so that its clan and tidy, more importantly, I can document where everything is!

Currently, anyone who needs access to the T4 software has it installed on their PC and its pointed to the data on the server. Ideally I'd like to do this with T6 too so that the data is all in one place and that my standard Admin PC image will have Nova T4, T6 on it pointing to one place also.

So basically, any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

Thank Post
    You will only need T6 to do the timetable. Cover moved into the main sims.net a while ago so you may struggle with support for that.

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Gonk (11th March 2010)

Thank Post
    NT4 is now only supported for Reporting Purposes and that is scheduled to end once all the NT4 type reports are moved into SIMS. This process starts with the Spring Upgrade due for release by COB on 31/03/2010.
    Cover in NT4 has not been supported for a while now but I assume it still works. The problem is, as NT6 has become more and more functional the transfer from NT6 to NT4 can start to become problematic!
    There is no point in migrating data from NT4 to NT6 - just have a clean start with NT6 for next year's timetable. If the timetabler has already started this in NT4 then just run the Export to NT6 routine from NT4.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 11th March 2010 at 02:38 PM.

5. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Gonk (11th March 2010)

Thank Post
    @ Sivadam

Thanks for that.

With the swapping of servers bit, if I do a fresh install of T6 and T4 on the new server, will it create the SNOVA director with the requisit subforders? (the old server is in a right mess and I'd like to do a fresh setup)

Once thats done, if I export from T4 to T6 I should have the data for this years timetable so that there is a guide to work from?

Thank Post
    There are people far more knowledgable on the Tecnical side than I am.
    From a Timetabling point of view there are no problems with the transfer of the dataset.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Not quite sure what you mean by doing a fresh install of Nova on the server. I usually do a clean install but take my old files over when i'm making a test server.

If your aim is a clean install i still think you may need to take some files over, i'm not sure what a clean install from disk/iso will give you in terms of folder structure. Maybe Nova when you run it will create the folders, if not, i would take the folders over and just purge them of files you don't need.

What exactly is in a mess? The main folder we need is NT6.
    As mentioned you don't really need NT4, Cover is within SIMS.Net now.

EDIT: Just reread and thought, if you want to take data from T4 to T6, do it before you move servers, so the data is in NT6. Then you definitely wont need the other folders in SNOVA (i believe). If i read correctly, you don't actually use SIMS (is that right?), so you're using Nova to create timetable and then you put it in Integris...? If so, pretty soon, you wont be able to manage cover...you'll have to look at another solution... please clarify.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 13th March 2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: addition after reread

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if/when Nova-T4 will disappear completely? Even though Cover in Nova-T4 is not supported, our school still uses it to do cover and I'm worried they'll wake to a nasty surprise quite soon.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread ....... I really need this right now and may be asking questions in the near near near future!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Surely, it would make sense to use another timetable package if you are not using SIMS. Nova is increasingly tied into the SIMS process and way of doing things. Doesn't Integris have a timetabling option? If not, perhaps a standalone product like Timetabler would make more sense, it also has a Cover option, so the two are at least tied together. It might be worth look afield before it gets too late and noone even remembers NovaT4.

12. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Keith-Johnson (19th June 2010)

Thank Post
    When it comes to transferring Nova T4 files from one server to another, all you really need are the .TDB (teacher database) and the .NVA (Nova) files if I remember correctly. As long as these files are within the SNOVA/Year directory then NT4 will load these up without any issues.

I have to agree with Vik here, if you're not using SIMS then there really isn't any point in using Nova T6 as it simply doesn't have the Cover/Reporting (as NT6 holds no student data) functionality which is needed outside of SIMS if you've not got it. Same with Vik, I'd recommend Timetabler - you can download a trial version from their website and have a go (I did that recently and although I haven't really had a chance to play with it much, it seems to be fairly easy to use).

14. Thanks to Sarconia from:

Keith-Johnson (19th June 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread