+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Permission problems with SEN access in Sims in Technical; I am trying to set someone up with SEN access in Sims but have run into a few problems. I ...

Thank Post

Permission problems with SEN access in Sims

I am trying to set someone up with SEN access in Sims but have run into a few problems. I have given them correct access in System Manager and if i log the member of staff on she has no access to add new data to any SEN student. I know the issue is with the C: drive as if I log on with an admin account and then the staff member logs into sims it all works. We lock the c: drive down for all staff but then use GPO to change security settings on certain folders/files for sims. No one else seems to have the problem using sims apart from anyone wanting to use the SEN section of sims.

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    the usual answer is to run simsperms.bat from the SIMS folder.
    if you search other threads here there are many related topics, also examples of the policy you should set up in your GPO.
    i don't recall anything specifically for SEN, but in general if you want to troubleshoot, give full permission to the C:\windows\temp folder, and all sims related folders, and make them a power user.
    if that works, you can then try and lower security back from that.

Thank Post
    I have run simsperm.bat and also done the windows\temp and still have no luck.

Thank Post
    sorry it was my weekend, surprised no-one else responded.
    clearly full control on C and local admin rights will work.

it could be profile related. just check they have a my sims documents folder in their profile, if you delete it, it should recreate so it could be a good idea. there's nothing blocking profile is there?

give local admin rights to that user just to prove it works, then try power user. other folders that may need access are the sims folder in \program files, and also the sims.ini in C:\Windows these should have been sorted by simsperm.bat i think (don't know, never used it), but if not, try it explicity...

AAF

Thank Post
    I've had this problem on my laptop for around two years and I'm sorry to say that no-one (Capita or in house) has resolved it yet! It's not permissions as if I move to another machine I can edit SEN details. We've run simsperm.bat but not resolved. Even re-imaging my laptop didn't help! It does only seem to be a problem with SEN.
    I'm interested if anyone resolves this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAF View Post
    I've had this problem on my laptop for around two years and I'm sorry to say that no-one (Capita or in house) has resolved it yet! It's not permissions as if I move to another machine I can edit SEN details. We've run simsperm.bat but not resolved. Even re-imaging my laptop didn't help! It does only seem to be a problem with SEN.
    I'm interested if anyone resolves this.
    More then likely you've gone through all this before but just need to get an idea of whats going on. I assume that the image you used is a generic on and you've test your account/profile on another laptop (same make model/build/image)? Does it work with local administrator account or any other account for that matter? What kind of profile do you use (local/madatory/roaming)?

AAF

Thank Post
    My laptop image isn't generic but was installed from scratch rather than copying the previous image.
    We've tried various combinations of logging on to the laptop and logging on to SIMS - none work. Oddly, one desktop in the Main Office works but the other doesn't - they have the same image.
    I haven't tried another laptop. Watch this space.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAF View Post
    My laptop image isn't generic but was installed from scratch rather than copying the previous image.
    We've tried various combinations of logging on to the laptop and logging on to SIMS - none work. Oddly, one desktop in the Main Office works but the other doesn't - they have the same image.
    I haven't tried another laptop. Watch this space.
    So no account will get SEN to work properly on this laptop? Seems that this isnt likely to be profile related and nor does it seem to be permissions related if you've already tried local admins account. Would seem to point to OS config. Was the laptop formated clean before you reinstalled the OS? Was the OS installed from XP disc or did you use recovery discs?

Thank Post
    We have found out something a little strange that seems to sort out the problem. It appears the problem with SEN is the date format. I went into Contol Panel> Regional Languages settings and in there is the date format. I changed it from DD.MM.YY to DD.MM.YYYY and SEN works. I then created a custom adm template to force this on all computers but this had a knock on affect with other users of Sims

FMS starting playing up as it likes the DD.MM.YY format as so did Exam Organiser (guessing that these are old modules) so we had to revert these computers and users back to DD.MM.YY. Then we found out that the custom adm also affected Lesson Monitor>Edit Marks as it display the dates different so much it spreads the edit marks across the screen. It also changes the way the date is displayed in Quick Letter as well and i only found this out this afternoon. I have more work to do on this tomorrow.

I would really appreciate your feedback on this to see f it also help your issues in any way. I can't understand why we should need to do this but its the only way i can get SEN working.

Thank Post
    I thought the default was DD/MM/YYYY for short date and dd MMMM YYYY for long date. Our setup is DD/MM/YYYY for short date and we dont seem to have any problems with exams or fms.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    I thought the default was DD/MM/YYYY for short date and dd MMMM YYYY for long date. Our setup is DD/MM/YYYY for short date and we dont seem to have any problems with exams or fms.
    We're like this and no problems. However, an inconsistency in handling of dates, is very likely. Here, we use UK, US and Arabic on our PCs, and the only setting that SIMS likes is UK. It affects running of reports, loading of certain modules, and even display of student info screens, so the symptoms being described could easily be attributable to date.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread