+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Fire! Where's the register... :) in Technical; Ok, so with usual foresight, we in IT have been told that we have a fire drill tomorrow... So down ...
    Thank Post

Fire! Where's the register... :)

Ok, so with usual foresight, we in IT have been told that we have a fire drill tomorrow...

So down comes the Deputy head and says "what solutions does your Network Manager have in place for taking registers if the building is burning down around us?". The answer: "nada". The response: "get one." (well, substitute half and hours pointless discussion for that, but you get the idea...).

So, what software do you guys use to register students in case of fire? Does it require network access (if so what happens if the server room is suicde bombed by an outraged member of tech support?).

Or do you rely on a paperbased system?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Ok, so with usual foresight, we in IT have been told that we have a fire drill tomorrow...

So down comes the Deputy head and says "what solutions does your Network Manager have in place for taking registers if the building is burning down around us?". The answer: "nada". The response: "get one." (well, substitute half and hours pointless discussion for that, but you get the idea...).

So, what software do you guys use to register students in case of fire? Does it require network access (if so what happens if the server room is suicde bombed by an outraged member of tech support?).

Or do you rely on a paperbased system?

Cheers!
    That's up to the office staff to sort out - not our remit here.

3. Thanks to Hightower from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    We (the school) print a drill register each day just after registration, and record other comings and goings on paper.

It's a waste of paper most of the time, but it's better than one of the office girls burning to death waiting for the printer to calibrate.

5. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    We have a paper based system and it's nothing to do with our department, it's SMT and office staff. This has been talked about before and there's no 'right' solution but the paper method works well and requires little training so anyone can do it.

7. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    That's up to the office staff to sort out - not our remit here.
    Same here.

I woudl ask though - if your servers are engulfed in flames - what good is any technical solution going to do you at that point I recon a paper based system would probably work best

9. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our attendance person prints off paper registers and take them outside when the alarm sounds. Several times per day should be sufficient, or every lesson depending on how kind to the environment you want to be.

11. 2 Thanks to webman:

bossman (9th March 2010), Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We tried using electronic systems, but the office had to print registers *after* all the marks were done, to be used in emergencies. So, we were printing 70 pages a day.

Now, we're back with a paper based system where a single sheet is in a register for the week.

We just haven't been able to figure out a good electronic solution as yet...

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Same here.

I woudl ask though - if your servers are engulfed in flames - what good is any technical solution going to do you at that point I recon a paper based system would probably work best
    Well one solution that is easier said than done that I've considered is to have a query that downloads the student form registers to a workgroup laptop's hdd every evening. Then it can be grabbed on the way out and it should in theory have registers accurate to the last 24 hours or so.

As I said though, it's easier said than done, I've never really done anything like that to Sims...

Thank Post
    Well one solution that is easier said than done that I've considered is to have a query that downloads the student form registers to a workgroup laptop's hdd every evening. Then it can be grabbed on the way out and it should in theory have registers accurate to the last 24 hours or so.
    That's fine as long as somebody checks it regularly to make sure it hasn't stopped working for whatever reason. Printing paper reports is a check for us, since the office physically do it every day and check that all forms have printer properly.

Checks on a laptop should include: runs on battery for a sensible amount of time (say, an hour); has data; can display data without errors; data is up to date; screen and peripherals still work; etc.

However, fetching registers in the evening is pretty useless, it gives you no indication of who's on site today. If you're going to do it that way, it needs to happen just after registration periods.

16. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Best solution I have seen/used is keeping a set of laminated reg lists with dry wipe pens to hand, these are taken out on the alarm sounding and reg tutors mark pupils present or absent, these are then checked against a report printed out from your MIS of choice listing only absentees, this can be run either after morning/afternoon reg or if using lesson registration could be quickly run out on the alarm sounding. This would also need to be cross checked with any signing in books etc.
    After the evacuation reg lists can simply be cleaned and reused, obviously they will need to be kept up to date with new arrivals etc.

18. 2 Thanks to paul:

Tyiell (9th March 2010), zag (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Then it can be grabbed on the way out and it should in theory have registers accurate to the last 24 hours or so.
    So that would be an accurate record of who's still inside the burning building then?

20. Thanks to timzim from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    office staff do the fire regs printed from PARS

i have to do a staff register, i have to collate this each year according to the time table and who is not in and who is at the VI form (ie not burning inside)

22. Thanks to gibbo_ap from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    So that would be an accurate record of who's still inside the burning building then?
    Good point. I believe the idea was that the form tutors should know which kids weren't in at registration...

Trouble is, that leaves too much to chance. As Powdarrmonkey says, I suppose it needs to update in the morning, or every hour. But then it requires too much maintenance and checking...

Not an easy one...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is an issue to take up with the fire officer at your local fire service - they will give advice as to what exactly is needed from you, then a solution can be built around that.

A single laptop with data exported to it would not be much use... What if you have 30 classes, can you imagine how long it would take to register them all from one laptop?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had a drill at 8.55 the other day. Everything was useless as no registers had been taken!

26. 2 Thanks to Mr.Ben:

Tyiell (9th March 2010), zag (9th March 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast