+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 78
MIS Systems Thread, Fire! Where's the register... :) in Technical; Originally Posted by gibbo_ap office staff do the fire regs printed from PARS Built into PARS is a fire module ...
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    340
    Thank Post
    68
    Thanked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    office staff do the fire regs printed from PARS
    Built into PARS is a fire module which caches the attendance data every couple of minutes. That way when it looses the network connection you have attendance data to that point. We have dedicated several laptops for this purpose and they are picked up by a member of the office staff as soon as the firebell sounds.

    If you want to try it out create a shortcut to
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\SIMS\PARS .net\bootstrap.exe" PARS /F
    We also have a collection of golf umbrellas next to the laptops and these are taken regardless of the weather. If it's raining then the need is obvious but you need them when it is sunny just so you can see the screen.
    Last edited by sjatkn; 10th March 2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Made the quote work properly.

  2. #62

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by sjatkn View Post
    Built into PARS is a fire module which caches the attendance data every couple of minutes. That way when it looses the network connection you have attendance data to that point. We have dedicated several laptops for this purpose and they are picked up by a member of the office staff as soon as the firebell sounds.

    If you want to try it out create a shortcut to
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\SIMS\PARS .net\bootstrap.exe" PARS /F
    We also have a collection of golf umbrellas next to the laptops and these are taken regardless of the weather. If it's raining then the need is obvious but you need them when it is sunny just so you can see the screen.
    Do they have to unplug these laptops? I can see some great potential for law suits should there actually be a fire.

    Maybe Bruce Willis can walk through fire but asking or telling someone to:
    Unplug laptop (which is hopefully charged enough to trawl through a register)
    Pick up a brolly.
    Ensure all students are out of the room.
    Ensure that no one is running out of the building.
    Finally get out of the building having not tripped someone with the brolly or dropped the laptop, bending over to pick the pieces up in causing several people behind to fall over you..........

    I had the situation once when I worked in a school where the break bell went and 3 seperate classes converged on one wandering child on a stairwell. no one was going to give way but the older class was winning in the scrum. Fortunately I forced my way to the middle and made them all stand still and guided them out safely. I relayed this to the Head, who's response was "what can you do". Well a lot actually, what if it was a fire?

  3. #63

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    A useful link posted on Capita Supportnet.
    Read from Page 113.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/docume...pdf/150865.pdf

    The most useful sentence IMO is:
    In many educational premises, a roll call is not a practical proposition, therefore it is important to have in place robust management procedures to ensure that the building has been effectively evacuated (e.g. sweeping of the premises by staff).

  4. #64

    john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,362
    Thank Post
    1,499
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Rep Power
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    In many educational premises, a roll call is not a practical proposition, therefore it is important to have in place robust management procedures to ensure that the building has been effectively evacuated (e.g. sweeping of the premises by staff).
    You won't get teaching staff doing that, they leave the doors and windows open as well as tell the kids its only going to be a drill so don't use that fire door walk all the way through the building as you would normally!!! Madness!!! If the teaching staff did it they would want danger payments, a 2.1 TLR and 5 weeks more holiday to be agreed by the unions, that job will fall upon support staff as ever.... (me bitter about Fire Dutys and the serious nature of it and how many kids don't know how to behave or act in them, NEVER!! (sorry long day but I'm pasionate about Fire Safety!))

  5. #65

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You won't get teaching staff doing that, they leave the doors and windows open as well as tell the kids its only going to be a drill so don't use that fire door walk all the way through the building as you would normally!!! Madness!!! If the teaching staff did it they would want danger payments, a 2.1 TLR and 5 weeks more holiday to be agreed by the unions, that job will fall upon support staff as ever.... (me bitter about Fire Dutys and the serious nature of it and how many kids don't know how to behave or act in them, NEVER!! (sorry long day but I'm pasionate about Fire Safety!))
    Then the S**t will fall on SMT should anything happen in a real fire. Trouble is it takes something serious to happen before effective action is taken in education, data loss is not taken seriously until someone leaves a laptop on a train etc. Having been in a real fire myself I'm quite passionate too and think that all this nonsense about taking laptops and registers to check is just glossing over the cracks. Sadly someone will have to die in a school before somehing is done. This document makes total sense and I will pass it on to any school that asks about fire drills from now on.

  6. #66
    browolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,527
    Thank Post
    107
    Thanked 89 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries
    46
    Rep Power
    40
    here's a thought, where's there's no wireless in congregation area, could use some form of IPoAC to transmit the data to a central data collection point on or near the network! ;-)

  7. #67

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    here's a thought, where's there's no wireless in congregation area, could use some form of IPoAC to transmit the data to a central data collection point on or near the network! ;-)
    What if the fire is in the server?

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Is should possible to schedule SIMS to print out an attendance exception report when registration has ended. Much shorter than a full attendance list. There will always be a risk with fire and attendance registers. If there is a fire 2 minutes after the children get into the classroom, before either a paper or electronic register has been taken, you have no records to check against. Surely it's about minimising the risk when going over to an electronic system, knowing it will not be 100%. I would plan for the registers not being available. I would also NOT plan on a technologically challenging solution to work or be operated successfully during a real fire. Use the technology to prepare for "back to basics" when this happens.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    96
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    Only a thought but, if the printouts show only the absent pupils then the form tutors would know who was unaccounted for. this should take less time to print

  10. #70

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,439
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    I'm with Phil Neal on this one, whatever you do, the fire service is going to search the entire school, even if you have all the child out safely and have a paper register confirming this, an electronic register and even if you have GPS installed all the children, teachers, locals, animals or anything that breaths, confirming that they are out of the building. Just print the form registers at the start of the year. Job done, eco saved. Everyone happy.

    Don't like the idea of someone waiting next to a laserjet in the middle of the building whilst a fire is going on next door. To get an "up-to-date" class list.

  11. Thanks to matt40k from:

    creese (4th May 2010)

  12. #71
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,223
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 381 Times in 295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    285
    Put the printer next to a fire exit. And if the fire is just next door you don't wait around anyway.

  13. #72

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,439
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Put the printer next to a fire exit. And if the fire is just next door you don't wait around anyway.
    You seem to be missing the point. How do you know the fire is next door? I'm sure the fire service say not to wait around inside the building. Would you really want that sort of data lying around? Ok, no address, but still! And what a complete waste of paper!

  14. #73

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You seem to be missing the point. How do you know the fire is next door? I'm sure the fire service say not to wait around inside the building. Would you really want that sort of data lying around? Ok, no address, but still! And what a complete waste of paper!
    I believe that the vast majority of people that die in a fire are killed by the, invisible, fumes. You would catch me waiting for any super fast printer, one real fire is enough for me.

  15. #74
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,223
    Thank Post
    845
    Thanked 381 Times in 295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    285
    If there was a fire in the room next door you'd know about it pretty quickly unless you are asleep. Hell, a house in the road on the other side of the campus was on fire and I could smell it!

  16. #75

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,439
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    You'll be suprised. Doesn't take long for a fire to spread and your plan would fall apart if there actually WAS a fire. Go have a chat with your local fire service. Sure they'll set you straight, failing that they'll point out your schools insurance doesn't cover people hanging around a building when the fire bells going off.

    PS: Would laugh my head off if some insurance company is reading this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Fire at Google UK
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27th August 2009, 06:57 PM
  2. SIMS Mobile 3 - Fire Register
    By Gatt in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 4th January 2009, 09:41 PM
  3. fire
    By kevin_lane in forum General Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 19th November 2008, 03:27 PM
  4. Apparently my PCs on fire!
    By joe90bass in forum Hardware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th June 2008, 10:05 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •