+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Fire! Where's the register... :) in Technical; What Vikpaw posted, have a tutor group list pre-printed which tutors mark against who is here, and when collated missing ...

Thank Post
    What Vikpaw posted, have a tutor group list pre-printed which tutors mark against who is here, and when collated missing persons can then be checked off against the absent list/appointment list.

Any tech solution that relies on network connectivity is not going to work unless you plan on installing a second wireless suite operated on it's own mains circuit, battery backup's on all devices, with an externally hosted dynamic link to your attendance suite; Living in a dream world if we think any schools can afford this.

Thank Post
    can sims not be set to e-mail it out? if so designate members of staff with 1/2 decent mobiles to recieve it then its stored externally no reliance on internal stuff after its sent

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    can sims not be set to e-mail it out? if so designate members of staff with 1/2 decent mobiles to recieve it then its stored externally no reliance on internal stuff after its sent
    My gut feeling with this is you may run into trouble with Data Protection... you know how knee-jerk it is these days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

Yes but, who are the staff, where are they and again how quick will it be to register every student with the data on a handfull of mobiles?

Thank Post
    That's sickening - who could enforce laws to that extent, regardless of religious views...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post

Originally Posted by sonofsanta
    [Re: Bromcom - PDAs:] Don't know for sure, I was only the run-around-lackey not the manager, but I thought they had a special fire drill mode where they cached the registration data so they didn't need the wireless connection to function? Seeing as any school with any sense* is assembling as far away from the building as possible.

*This definitely does not include all schools.

Yes they are cached, you can choose which is your fire register am,pm or latest class. Everytime you take a register and send/receive the lists are made up to date, or you can recall the last x registers. I think this the same on the old brick PDAs as it is on new laptop software version.
    Yes, Vik is right - on Bromcom devices and new laptop/Pocket PC versions Fire Drill faciities have been fully implemented and have 'perfected':

1. AM/PM Registration groups are cached locally.
    2. Right through the day, cached lists get dynamically updated
    3. Other than AM/PM can be designated as a 'Fire Drill' group
    4. Dynamic updating also integrates devices using public networks GPRS or 3G

We are generally modest - but on this ocasion we have to say - it must be the only system of its type - truly unique in the market!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    That's sickening - who could enforce laws to that extent, regardless of religious views...

Yep

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just the idea of Religious Enforcement police is terrifying enough, let alone that they'd go to these horrific extents.

Now worried that there well be the Cameron Cops who make sure you love Dave and appreciate Dave and would never speak out against Dave because Dave Loves You.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,159 Posts
    unfortunately it's required here for safety. if anyone saw my post a while back on what happened when it rained, yes it does sometimes rain here, well, fires aren't our biggest risk. it's the driving!!
    now think how bad it would be if the pretty young ladies were flashing their shoulders, or heaven forbid their ankles, it would be chaos on the roads! it's lucky women can't drive here

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Just the idea of Religious Enforcement police is terrifying enough, let alone that they'd go to these horrific extents.
    NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    unfortunately it's required here for safety. if anyone saw my post a while back on what happened when it rained, yes it does sometimes rain here, well, fires aren't our biggest risk. it's the driving!!
    now think how bad it would be if the pretty young ladies were flashing their shoulders, or heaven forbid their ankles, it would be chaos on the roads! it's lucky women can't drive here
    Youre keeping me in suspense, I must have missed that one - wwhat happened when it rained...?

So ladies have to be completely covered, and aren't allowed to drive. That must be lame. And given you are (if my hazy geography is correct) right on the coast of the Red Sea - pretty much the undisputed best place for diving on the planet, and certainly my favourite - how do the girls manage that? Do they make neoprene versions of Victorian swimming costumes? Or is that banned too?

You may have been able to spot that I'm not too well travelled in that area - I visited Egypt and that's it....
    Last edited by Tyiell; 9th March 2010 at 02:14 PM.

Thank Post
    we are primary. its done by office staff. still on paper based.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I'm sitting in an ASCL meeting and this very topic came up. Your fire officers will not look at anything you provide for them because they will check the building what ever your records say - paper or electronic. Just clear the building as quickly as possible - leave everything behind.

Checking for children that have bunked off (the true purpose of a fire drill) is another matter.
    This is the only way to behave in a fire. If after 5 minute of evacuated you find someone missing who is going to go go back in and where are they going to look and for what period of time. It's far better to practice sweeping the rooms as you leave, checking toilets etc. as you pass No untrained person should ever re-enter a burning building.

Thank Post
    This should come back to having fully qualified fire marshals. No-one else should be doing anything except evacuating as quickly and safely as possible.

In all seriousness, however, I would suggest that all schools need to have a conversation with their local fire service to ensure they are applying their local advice. It might well depend on all sorts of other factors (proximity to the fire station, ease of access etc?) as to the precise guidance that each school would receive, but as has been stated, when the firemen arrive on site, they won't take any account of what your registers tell you, they'll want to know that a sweep has been performed, otherwise they'll have to spend time doing this themselves.

I think the idea of registers is great for getting some degree of order on the playing fields (or wherever your assembly point is) otherwise it can easily descend into a shambles. At the end of the day, however, the priority should be in ensuring the safety of everyone on site.

15. Thanks to SkywOrca from:

BatchFile (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkywOrca View Post
    This should come back to having fully qualified fire marshals. No-one else should be doing anything except evacuating as quickly and safely as possible.
    I think the idea of registers is great for getting some degree of order on the playing fields (or wherever your assembly point is) otherwise it can easily descend into a shambles. At the end of the day, however, the priority should be in ensuring the safety of everyone on site.
    It's absolutely essential that all staff are aware of the fire procedures, not just the taking of registers which is more of a deterrent for kids who skive, but the actual check rooms, shout into toilets, and sweep each area policy. We forget this in our over complicated ideas, it's ridiculous how many people you come across who don't know their actual responsibilities, i've seen senior management direct students across a potentially burning building just to access the most convenient fire exit to the muster area.

There should be a policy for what to do when the key staff are off/sick/away/out to lunch, and all new staff / cover / temporary need to know what's expected of them.

Youre keeping me in suspense, I must have missed that one - wwhat happened when it rained...?

So ladies have to be completely covered, and aren't allowed to drive. That must be lame. And given you are (if my hazy geography is correct) right on the coast of the Red Sea - pretty much the undisputed best place for diving on the planet, and certainly my favourite - how do the girls manage that? Do they make neoprene versions of Victorian swimming costumes? Or is that banned too?

You may have been able to spot that I'm not too well travelled in that area - I visited Egypt and that's it....
    When it rains in the desert!
    Do Saudi Women Like to Swim? American Bedu

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are...

...don't forget an almost fanatical devotion to the pope!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast