+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Fire! Where's the register... :) in Technical; Originally Posted by Tyiell True, although as Localzuk mentioned; a tablet pc download has the same issue as a single ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    True, although as Localzuk mentioned; a tablet pc download has the same issue as a single laptop/pda as a single registration device for potentially hundreds of kids isn't ideal...

Our site is fairly spread out - and buildings are seperated by copse and woodland - so short of napalm or forest fires, theres little chance that we wouldn't be able to print from somewhere. The only issue is if the fire is in the server room and the Sims server melts - if we don't print in advance, we wont be able to do it. I doubt they'll go for a mirror server
    Well with the tablet pc, if all registers are backed up onto it, this could then be used to print from? If you install a couple of printers onto it locally, you can then just take it where ever its needed and print off. Or if all power is off, you then have a backup plan, the tablet itself. Ja?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If it helps - at my last school, it used to be as easy as "take your Bromcoms outside". Then they switched to Serco and it turned into "print a massive log of paper off every morning ten minutes after morning tutor and throw it out again every evening, just in case". Which never worked cos the teachers there were rubbish at getting their registers in on time still, especially if they had assembly for their year group that morning. But still - it was the paper-based solution.

I'd be tempted by the slate PC idea if I were approached about it here, particularly in combination with the offsite PDF file floated earlier. Not that we have any decent 3G signal here...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    Well with the tablet pc, if all registers are backed up onto it, this could then be used to print from? If you install a couple of printers onto it locally, you can then just take it where ever its needed and print off. Or if all power is off, you then have a backup plan, the tablet itself. Ja?

But where are the printers? Power for the printers? We assemble and register on the tennis courts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    If it helps - at my last school, it used to be as easy as "take your Bromcoms outside". Then they switched to Serco and it turned into "print a massive log of paper off every morning ten minutes after morning tutor and throw it out again every evening, just in case". Which never worked cos the teachers there were rubbish at getting their registers in on time still, especially if they had assembly for their year group that morning. But still - it was the paper-based solution.

I'd be tempted by the slate PC idea if I were approached about it here, particularly in combination with the offsite PDF file floated earlier. Not that we have any decent 3G signal here...

We used Bromcomm ages ago but didn't they rely on the server still, so if they're burning you're still stumped.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    When we sorted out our system, the whole point was that if the fire alarm goes off, everyone leaves IMMEDIATELY.

You don't put office staff at risk by making someone hang about printing registers. Indeed, I think your local Fire Safety Officer would take a very dim view of it.

It has to be done in advance which can be wasteful on paper, or you come up with a satisfactory wireless solution.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    We used Bromcomm ages ago but didn't they rely on the server still, so if they're burning you're still stumped.
    Don't know for sure, I was only the run-around-lackey not the manager, but I thought they had a special fire drill mode where they cached the registration data so they didn't need the wireless connection to function? Seeing as any school with any sense* is assembling as far away from the building as possible.

*This definitely does not include all schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I imagine the fire brigade would say no one ought to delay exiting the building in order to pick stuff up or print stuff out and it's no good having a system that puts people in danger in a real emergency or falls down if key individuals are off sick.

8. Thanks to browolf from:

BatchFile (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    !!! COMMON SENSE ALERT !!!

Thank Post
    I think class registers are done on the computers so our data team print off copies of each of the classes each day. Seems the best system as you cannot rely on tech during a fire, although someone will surely argue otherwise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    I think class registers are done on the computers so our data team print off copies of each of the classes each day. Seems the best system as you cannot rely on tech during a fire, although someone will surely argue otherwise.
    I thought we have 'firewalls' to protect us from this?

Boom, boom!

12. 2 Thanks to Tyiell:

webman (9th March 2010), wesleyw (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Nice Basil

Thank Post
    I'm sitting in an ASCL meeting and this very topic came up. Your fire officers will not look at anything you provide for them because they will check the building what ever your records say - paper or electronic. Just clear the building as quickly as possible - leave everything behind.

Checking for children that have bunked off (the true purpose of a fire drill) is another matter.

15. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

BatchFile (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Best solution I have seen/used is keeping a set of laminated reg lists with dry wipe pens to hand, these are taken out on the alarm sounding and reg tutors mark pupils present or absent, these are then checked against a report printed out from your MIS of choice listing only absentees, this can be run either after morning/afternoon reg or if using lesson registration could be quickly run out on the alarm sounding. This would also need to be cross checked with any signing in books etc.
    After the evacuation reg lists can simply be cleaned and reused, obviously they will need to be kept up to date with new arrivals etc.

We use an (updated) laminated Class list, that is filled in at each Reg period by Class Teacher/Supply Teacher at the same time as they take the register in SIMS. Our SIMS is installed centrally on the Server, and ultimately I'd like to put in a wireless network, and then designate one of the Teachers to grab their laptop in the event of a fire and take it out with them. All Class registers can then be accessed from that one machine.

Tho, as mentioned, if the Server room was engulfed in flames, this might prove useless, so a regularly updated paper based system must be the answer!?!

Thank Post
    If you print your paper registers you damming the environment. If you have an electronic solution it's unlikely to be waterproof. Either methods aren't 100%, so like Phil keeps saying...

"Your fire officers will not look at anything you provide for them because they will check the building what ever your records say - paper or electronic. Just clear the building as quickly as possible - leave everything behind."

Personally getting the pupils to line up by form group and then the form tutors having a laminated form register would be your best bit. Normally the children will know who's off or bunking, even if the tutor doesn't. Everything else in my opinion is a waste of time and money. Unless you want a reason to get another server room and a good wifi network

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Firstly, check these other threads as there is plenty of old discussion around the subject and sooner or later the answer is the same:

1) Firedrills make management feel better, not solve any real problem.
    2) The fire department will ask if the building was swept and most likely sweep the "hot" area anyway.
    3) We should just clear the building safely and efficiently without the process being a hindrance or causing other security concerns itself.

Firedrill with SIMS

SIMS - fire registers

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Best solution I have seen/used is keeping a set of laminated reg lists with dry wipe pens to hand, these are taken out on the alarm sounding and reg tutors mark pupils present or absent, these are then checked against a report printed out from your MIS of choice listing only absentees, this can be run either after morning/afternoon reg or if using lesson registration could be quickly run out on the alarm sounding. This would also need to be cross checked with any signing in books etc.
    After the evacuation reg lists can simply be cleaned and reused, obviously they will need to be kept up to date with new arrivals etc.
    Great simple solution

Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Thanks to all that have replied (and the more to come, the merrier) - if it's ok I might have to use some of these posts as evidence to support my case when the DH comes out with a spectacularly uninformed comment like "ha, no-one prints paper registers now, theres loads of other options..." and implies that I just can't be bothered to find a proper solution.

And yes, it is is a great working environment here, honest!
    Ask to speak to your local fire service, they will back you up.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Don't know for sure, I was only the run-around-lackey not the manager, but I thought they had a special fire drill mode where they cached the registration data so they didn't need the wireless connection to function? Seeing as any school with any sense* is assembling as far away from the building as possible.

*This definitely does not include all schools.
    Yes they are cached, you can choose which is your fire register am,pm or latest class. Everytime you take a register and send/receive the lists are made up to date, or you can recall the last x registers. I think this the same on the old brick PDAs as it is on new laptop software version.

CONSIDER THIS:
    Does your system function equally well if there is a lock-in? where do you get the register from?
    This was touched upon briefly in one of the above links.

Maybe we need a poll on how many actual fires people have had at schools and were children injured? How many missing children be it real/drill have been followed up on.

FYI: BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Saudi police 'stopped' fire rescue
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collinwood_school_fire"]Collinwood school fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

19. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast