+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Fire! Where's the register... :) in Technical; Originally Posted by Hightower That's up to the office staff to sort out - not our remit here. Nice - ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    That's up to the office staff to sort out - not our remit here.
    Nice - something that could possibly have a tenuous link to computers or electricity that isn't IT's remit? Got any vacancies?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    This is an issue to take up with the fire officer at your local fire service - they will give advice as to what exactly is needed from you, then a solution can be built around that.

A single laptop with data exported to it would not be much use... What if you have 30 classes, can you imagine how long it would take to register them all from one laptop?
    Hmm, that's true - I hadn't though of that! They really aren't going to like it when I tell them that paper is the only viable method though - they are all mad on saving the rainforests and stuff...

Thank Post
    To be fair, would any registers based system be adequate for ensuring the building is empty of people? Kids being kids they'll often as not be down the park when the register suggests they should be in. I can understand and would agree that some method of checking who has evacuated when the fire alarm sounds would be beneficial, but the only reliable method of ensuring the building is empty is for some of the staff to be fully trained as fire marshals, whose job it is to perform a sweep of the building (safely, obviously... they shouldn't be fighting through fire-engulfed rooms to check), and make sure that there's no-one left inside.

As Localzuk suggests, though, this should be something that the school adopt in conjunction with their local fire department.

Thank Post
    What I'm about to say may strike you as odd - mad even - but I believe it to be true:

[tin_hat]
    You don't need to do fire registers. If there are likely to be more than more than a certain number of people (~15 iirc) in a building then the fire brigade will search the entire building regardless.
    [/tin_hat]

That was certainly the advice we were given when I was on the sims helpdesk and electronic registration was just beginning to kick in. Check with your LEA Health and safety, or anyone else, by all means, but I BELIEVE this to be correct.

That said, we do registers here - it definately helps to keep the kids under control - but it doesn't matter if they're not spot-on up to date

5. Thanks to BatchFile from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about some of this: Xerox shows off self-erasing, reusable paper : Obsessable Technology News

Not really on the market yet, but it will be soon enough...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What about printing to a pdf?

then a job uploads the pdf to a ftp server somewhere off site - you can then get it on a smartphone/pda/laptop with 3G dongle

just spitballing here...

8. Thanks to Domino from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    What about some of this: Xerox shows off self-erasing, reusable paper : Obsessable Technology News

Not really on the market yet, but it will be soon enough...
    Cool!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

then a job uploads the pdf to a ftp server somewhere off site - you can then get it on a smartphone/pda/laptop with 3G dongle

just spitballing here...
    That seems feasible - we even have pdas collecting dust - maybe I can get dongles for them...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    We (primary) have a weekly fire register for each class where a child's name appears in a column for each day and morning a/afternoon session (i.e. 10 columns)

The forename is highlighted in orange if the child is absent, the family name is highlighted in green if they turn up late and have been marked absent in orange. These are kept by the main exit door to each building.

If the fire alrm sounds, a teacher from each building grabs the fire registers on their way out.

fire registers are an office problem, not mine

12. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post

just spitballing here...

We've thought over a few tec solutions but one stumbling block is always that you can't be sure who will be in the office, if you can just say print that then if there's a fire alarm grab it and go outside anyone can do that. PDA's, Laptops and so on require someone to be trained in what they're doing, it also needs to be kept charged etc

Thank Post
    Thanks to all that have replied (and the more to come, the merrier) - if it's ok I might have to use some of these posts as evidence to support my case when the DH comes out with a spectacularly uninformed comment like "ha, no-one prints paper registers now, theres loads of other options..." and implies that I just can't be bothered to find a proper solution.

And yes, it is is a great working environment here, honest!

Thank Post
    We use paper registers, they don't explode when they get hot.

16. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    We have a lower school and an upper school which is seperated by a 1 minute walk. The idea is if fire happens to print them all off at the other site. Though this could be done by printing off at an opposite side of the building to the fire? Or you could download all registers to an iPad or similar device just in case, and no wasting paper!

18. Thanks to Potato-Peeler from:

Tyiell (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato-Peeler View Post
    We have a lower school and an upper school which is seperated by a 1 minute walk. The idea is if fire happens to print them all off at the other site. Though this could be done by printing off at an opposite side of the building to the fire? Or you could download all registers to an iPad or similar device just in case, and no wasting paper!
    True, although as Localzuk mentioned; a tablet pc download has the same issue as a single laptop/pda as a single registration device for potentially hundreds of kids isn't ideal...

Our site is fairly spread out - and buildings are seperated by copse and woodland - so short of napalm or forest fires, theres little chance that we wouldn't be able to print from somewhere. The only issue is if the fire is in the server room and the Sims server melts - if we don't print in advance, we wont be able to do it. I doubt they'll go for a mirror server

Thank Post
    Some of the problem is time. You *must* be in a position to assess, very quickly, the risk of there being somebody still in the building should it turn out to be genuinely on fire.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast