+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Setup an academic year in Technical; Hi Guys, On SIMS, when we setup a new academic year, is that OK if the last day of Summer ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Setup an academic year

Hi Guys,

On SIMS, when we setup a new academic year, is that OK if the last day of Summer Holiday overlap the first day of the Next academic year? Is there any way to change the last day of summer holiday as SIMS automatically set it as 365 days after the first day of an academic year.

Please help me. Thank you!
    Last edited by mioiskute; 8th March 2010 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 1,194 Posts
    yes it's a problem, but if you change your start date to be within the previous year, SIMS should shorten the length of the previous year for you.

are you using the guide from Capita to help set up the new year?

haven't heard from you for a while, hope all is well....?

Thank Post

Academic Year Setup

Hi, how come your years are overlapping you should have the 6 weeks holiday in between our new academic year starts on the first day back 6th september with this year finishing on the 26th July! i can send you a set of notes to perform the EOY routines if thias helps

Thank Post
    the year end is always 365 days after the start date of academic year. regardless of when you want students in.

usual policy is for start date to be september 1st always, then you fill in the gaps with holidays and 'dont need to be at school time'.

we had this, except due to the muslim year being shorter than gregorian we started the year earlier than september. it's fine SIMS on this occasion will sort things out.

my years:-

07/08: start=01/09/2007 - end=25/08/2008
    08/09: start=26/08/2008 - end=31/08/2009
    09/10: start=01/09/2001 - end=31/08/2010

that last end date is subject to change when i make the new year. it could increase the year over 365 days or make it shorter, recently we've had both.
    e.g. this year, although start date was september 1st, students didn't start until 28th.

Thank Post
    it obviously works differnt depending on where you are! we work on academic year end which is always end on the last day of term before the summer holidays, hence we never have this problem i wasnt aware that some people use the whole year.

Below is this years start and end dates. the new academic year will then start on the first day back when the pupils start, which i think is the 6th this year.

• Autumn Term: 07/09/2009 to 18/12/2009
    • Spring Term – 04/01/2010 to 01/04/2010
    • Summer Term – 15/04/2010 to 23/07/2010

Thank Post
    Having the overlap is fine, BUT, if you are using profiles / AM and have promoted your students then anything you have set up which has the end period in the next academic year (e.g. reporting period) will show students from two year groups.

Aside from that it has not caused me any further problems.......yet.

Thank Post
    i think those term dates are different to academic year dates, in as much as there is the whole year thought of as 09/10, 07/08 etc. which have different start and end to the working year which is the students at school dates.
    i may be wrong, but i thought the overall year dates are determined based on your input into the create year wizard, this will default to 365 days after start date, unless your term dates go over that.
    if i set my year in the wizard to be less than 365 the end date is automatically 31/08/2011 if i set term 3 to end after 1st september it makes the summer holiday last 7 days, and ends the year after that.
    so for once, i think just put in the dates you want and SIMS will sort it out. if it goes wrong you can edit the year and also delete if need be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all

@Vik: Thanks, I'm doing OK and has just been back from a busy report week. How are you?
    Yes, i follow Capita's guide book to set up the new year. Last year, we had the overlapping day and it seemed to be some problems at the first day with new and old things mixed up. Just ask for sure it is OK and if there is solution.
    Last edited by mioiskute; 8th March 2010 at 03:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Good thanks, busy as usual.
    That overlap shouldn't be possible as the year should shorten so the last day of summer holiday changes back one day. if this doesn't happen, you should do it manually by editing the current year if that's possible...but you don't normally choose the last day of summer..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This morning I changed this year first day back to one day, then setup the new year. It seems fine, no overlap. Thank you very much.

Thank Post
    That's good but i think it would have worked even if you hadn't done that, it would automatically have changed the length of current year to 354 days.
    EDIT: But if you have done it and it works and you're happy, that is the main thing
    Last edited by vikpaw; 10th March 2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: :O)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread