+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Ran out of space on the Sims drive, now it wont start! in Technical; The database, the setup files, the whole lot really, i'm uber carefull as we have had many schools burnt to ...
    Thank Post
    The database, the setup files, the whole lot really, i'm uber carefull as we have had many schools burnt to a crisp before, you can never be too carefull!

Edit: Spelling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    The database, the setup files, the whole let really, i'm uber carefull as we have had many schools burnt to a crisp before, you can never be too carefull!
    Ok, cool

How much (per backup) does this take up per night (if it was a "full backup" of course)

I've got a Sonicwall CDP here...but its only 1TB. I'd like to use it to back up Sims, but i dont want to use up a large chunk of space with it.
    Last edited by Ambient; 1st March 2010 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronjwilkinson View Post
    Ok, cool

How much (per backup) does this take up per night (if it was a "full backup" of course)

I've for a Sonicwall CDP here...but its only 1TB. I'd like to use it to back up Sims, but i dont want to use up a large chunk of space with it.
    It's not as much as you would think, with everything in it works out at about 45GB per night, I run it as overwrite so it never really uses any more than 50GB of space on the NAS which is a very small amount for the peace of mind it provides.

To the same NAS I also run a full backup of everything on a Friday, that takes about 54hrs to complete, half that time is the verify, but its very large were talking many TB's, but again it is good for peace of mind as then we have it on both tape rotation and on NAS in another building, also the tapes are in a seperate building too in a fire proof safe, bad odds if all 3 burn down i'd say. Makes small recoveries easier too as you dont have to grab the tape, just inventory the B2D file and grab it from there within minutes.

D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    It's not as much as you would think, with everything in it works out at about 45GB per night, I run it as overwrite so it never really uses any more than 50GB of space on the NAS which is a very small amount for the peace of mind it provides.

To the same NAS I also run a full backup of everything on a Friday, that takes about 54hrs to complete, half that time is the verify, but its very large were talking many TB's, but again it is good for peace of mind as then we have it on both tape rotation and on NAS in another building, also the tapes are in a seperate building too in a fire proof safe, bad odds if all 3 burn down i'd say. Makes small recoveries easier too as you dont have to grab the tape, just inventory the B2D file and grab it from there within minutes.

D
    50 Gb!!!

How big are the DB's / DocStorage?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    whats tidybackup? Is it something Captia provide? where do i find it please?

Thanks
    tidy backups was part of system manager module i believe, but think it's gone now.
    you can tidy your own, or i recall someone wrote a really useful app that would do it for you.

as for the old sql showing up as dead, we have that little icon too, every time i reboot i double click it, and change the server in focus to the new one, so the icon goes green, as although i know, i sometimes forget, and if the IT / Net Managers saw that, they'd panic. (i think we're talking about the same icon - sql server service manager right?)

in summary though, after tidying old files a reboot fixed it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Since it's been asked :

db files = 2.5ish GB unzipped.
    Sims share = 9GB (full of old copies of older folder but does me no harm so there for posterity)
    docstorage = 2GB

That's all we need really.

Thank Post
    Yeah sounds about right, we have alot of other info like pictures and docs about kids on there as well as many previous backups etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    whats tidybackup? Is it something Captia provide? where do i find it please?

Thanks

To save my voice:
    SIMS Tidy Backups - SQL 2008 - Autumn release

For the bots\people aren't reg'd\not logged on:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidybackups/
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 11th May 2010 at 03:52 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12