+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CMIS/CSV/CTF files in Technical; I have a csv file with data that I need to import into Facility CMIS. I understand that CMIS cannot ...

Thank Post

CMIS/CSV/CTF files

I have a csv file with data that I need to import into Facility CMIS. I understand that CMIS cannot import from a csv file, and needs to be a ctf (common transfer file) file which i think is a xml.

Does anyone know how to convert a csv file into ctf?

I found a tool to convert csv into xml, but it isn't the correct format for Facility ctf.

Hopefully I've made some sense with this and hopefully some can point me in the right direction.

Cheers all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    What type of data is it? I'm sure there is a way of bulk entering and dealing with data but you are best talking to Serco Support about it as if you make a mistake you can make a major mess I believe.

3. Thanks to john from:

jcs808 (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just to clear this up, there is an option in the software named 'data transfer'. This will import from csv. It is not an easy process, you have to be skilled and clued up in what you're doing, the data structure CMIS uses and the appropriate destination for the data.
    I would go with John and say give support a ring and explain what you're trying to do. Also maybe search first line for 'data transfer' and see if there's a manual up there.
    The only way i know of writing xml in such a format is from SQL, but you could easily stick your csv into a SQL table (in a database seperate from Facility preferably on a different server altoghther). That's going to take longer than typing them in though unless you're talking about entire years of students and regularly, for example?

I would also question why they are on CSV. I'm speaking in none-serco terms here and from personal experience - when i used to be a data manager in a school, the primary schools had a legal obligation to pass on the information they had using the 's2s' (schools to schools) site. The only format this accepted information in was ctf. I did have to go to some of our feeder schools in our pyramid and train the staff on how to produce them but the fact i'd taken the time to do that and given them a bit of a life line in terms of support gave them the confidence and patience to do it, and this made my life a whole ot easier for the next couple of years (until i left, and i imagine for my replacement).

Regards
    Mic
    Tech. Engineer
    Serco Learning

5. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

Thank Post
    Hi,

If you are a Birmingham school, then give the Link2ICT servicedesk a call and we will be able to offer some advice on the data transfer process

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Link2ICT- View Post
    Hi,

If you are a Birmingham school, then give the Link2ICT servicedesk a call and we will be able to offer some advice on the data transfer process
    I did and was told it has to be in ctf format, that's why I posted here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Hi,

I would also question why they are on CSV. I'm speaking in none-serco terms here and from personal experience - when i used to be a data manager in a school, the primary schools had a legal obligation to pass on the information they had using the 's2s' (schools to schools) site. The only format this accepted information in was ctf.
    I'm trying to import Unique Learner Numbers (ULN) for a whole year group.

It's a csv because that's the format of file you upload to the MIAP website. After a while they return an updated file to you with the ULN included. MIAP tech support don't offer any support beyond this, ie uploading it to your MIS, which is understandable.

We also don't have direct support from Serco, we have to go to the local authority IT support department, ours is called Link2ICT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs808 View Post
    I'm trying to import Unique Learner Numbers (ULN) for a whole year group.

It's a csv because that's the format of file you upload to the MIAP website. After a while they return an updated file to you with the ULN included. MIAP tech support don't offer any support beyond this, ie uploading it to your MIS, which is understandable.

We also don't have direct support from Serco, we have to go to the local authority IT support department, ours is called Link2ICT.
    You can get ULN number from the key to success website (same place you can get ks2/3 test results) in CTF format.

All you need to do is produce a ctf with all your student in, upload it and then your be able to download a ctf with those student plus the ULN.

10. Thanks to penfold_99 from:

Thank Post
    That is correct - The Key to Success website provides the ULN's in CTF format - this is all covered in the Link2ICT guidance notes

http://services.bgfl.org/myportal/cu...gULN's.pdf

As Michael rightly says, the data transfer process is fairly complex and requires detailed knowledge of the table structures in Facility - therefore this is a service Link2ICT can provide, I can only apologise if you didnt receive this information when you called.

12. Thanks to -Link2ICT- from:

Thank Post
    *-Link2ICT-

If I call the helpline can someone help me with this, it isn't really my area I'm stuck with this task because our exams sec isn't very good with ICT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs808 View Post
    *-Link2ICT-

If I call the helpline can someone help me with this, it isn't really my area I'm stuck with this task because our exams sec isn't very good with ICT.
    Thats what we are here for - please contact the servicedesk and we will see how we can assist

Thank Post
    Whoever you are @ Link2ICT, thanks for posting :-)
    Nice to see people getting together to sort things out.
    I'm limited in what i can do but if either of you think i can help, let me know.

Mic@Serco

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by -Link2ICT- View Post
    That is correct - The Key to Success website provides the ULN's in CTF format - this is all covered in the Link2ICT guidance notes

http://services.bgfl.org/myportal/cu...gULN's.pdf

As Michael rightly says, the data transfer process is fairly complex and requires detailed knowledge of the table structures in Facility - therefore this is a service Link2ICT can provide, I can only apologise if you didnt receive this information when you called.

-Link2ICT- can I ask if you really do work for Link2ICT.

Just that again I've been told by the helpline that I need to contact the people who provide the ULNs and get them to provide them in ctf format as this is the only way to import student data.

Thank Post
    Yes - PM sent...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread