+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Reporting in SIMS Help in Technical; Hi, Can anyone help? I need to be able to export the students names and pictures from sims to a ...
    Thank Post

Exclamation Reporting in SIMS Help

Hi,

Can anyone help? I need to be able to export the students names and pictures from sims to a template document as we are making ID Cards.

Can anyone help. All I seem to get is either just their names.

Thanks
    - Stuart

Thank Post
    You need the output to be an rtf.

Thank Post
    If you use NT4 for photo reports
    Nova has a photos folder that has all the student photo stored as bitmaps with the filename as admission number.
    Depending what you need copy the files out and use a bat file to rename them

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies.

NT4 has been faded out

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You need the output to be an rtf.
    There is a built in report called Photographs, you can modify this to your own needs.
    This will output whatever student details you want and the photograph.

There are many sample photo reports on Capita's SupportNet website that you can download and use or i can upload one of mine if you really want, but mine shows a page with 24 passport sized photos for a whole class, not much more use than the built-in report.

There's also a document on SupportNet to help you design your own rtf reports.

Lastly, depending on how you are creating your ID cards, (we use a program called card 5), there is a thread on SupportNet which describes a process of creating an SQL database that extracts the student info and photo and makes it available to the id card software in this case Card 5, you may be able to do similar.

What is probably best is if you can access the original source of the photos, from where they were uploaded into SIMS. This should be a store similar to that in Nova-T, assuming you bulk import photos into SIMS.

lettuce know if you need more help.

Thank Post
    Download the advanced reporting training handbook from Capita, there's a section in there on making ID cards with photos directly from SIMS reporting.

If you want the photos exported then you can save a photo report as a web page, this creates a folder with the photos in, named with (I think named by student id no)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    I have created a macro enabled access database that will extract all photo's and any other details you want from SIMS.net and enable you to put them in to a form template ready for printing (it was created with the intention of making ID cards so there's a template included) let me know if you want a copy of it

Thank Post
    I've got a rtf template ... PM for more details.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    That's no fair. This is a community:
    Share and share alike as my old Maths teacher used to say.
    But, then he used to also say - never a borrower nor a lender be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    Personally I found this route unreliable as you can't control the size of the image you get and it tends to just be a table full of images with very little in the way of customization possible, that's why I created an access database.

It takes the raw image data from an XML report (which it acquires automatically from SIMS when you provide a valid username and password) and converts it back in to a JPEG, placing it in the picture frame you want, sized however you want it along with any other details you want all placed in to a form in access, very customisable and easy to use. It also allows you to provide a default image to use if there is no picture available.

If anybody's interested, I'll post it here for you to try out.

Thank Post
    I'm intrigued J'J'.
    Our Card 5 ID card system is very odd, and at the moment uses an Access database. What i'd like to do is to be able to extract the photos from that. So i guess the reverse of what you do. Our first photo is done on that system and then i need to extract in order to put into SIMS. I played around with vb.net and blobs for a month but didn't get anywhere

as for the rtf - i've not had problems with size. there is a command that allows you to set the size, but i just fixed the table margins/row size and the large 1200 x 1500 images are nicely resized into the cells.

this way i can have nice large photos available for single printing - when we need to print an alert notice (e.g. medical) about a student, but the general class lists neatly fit on one sheet of A4.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Personally I found this route unreliable as you can't control the size of the image you get and it tends to just be a table full of images with very little in the way of customization possible, that's why I created an access database.
    You can control the size of the photo in an rtf by either using a percentage <Photo(80%)> or a size in pixels <Photo(1200x1600)> within the photo tag.
    In the rtf, insert a table into a column on the page and you can tweak as required.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 16th February 2010 at 08:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    i can upload one of mine if you really want, but mine shows a page with 24 passport sized photos for a whole class, not much more use than the built-in report.
    That would be useful here - the only photo report we seem to have fits about 3 photos per page, so is close to useless... Could you upload it somewhere for me?

Thank Post
    [quote=Greg;462570]
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    QUOTE]

You can control the size of the photo in an rtf by either using a percentage <Photo(80%)> or a size in pixels <Photo(1200x1600)> within the photo tag.
    In the rtf, insert a table into a column on the page and you can tweak as required.

That's what we've been using ... I have wrapped the photo inside a table in word which fixed and then inserted the photo into a cell with 60% photo option. Basically it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    That would be useful here - the only photo report we seem to have fits about 3 photos per page, so is close to useless... Could you upload it somewhere for me?
    i wanted to check them and make sure they are usable in other schools, but take a look and see if they work for you. there are 3 different types.
    EDIT: One where you choose the reg group from a drop down; one where you enter the name of the actual class code from timetable e.g. 7a/Ma1; last one does the same but for User Defined Groups.

i only very occasionally get an issue when a photo is malformed and much larger than the rest. it might be the case that my photos are just the perfect size for my reports.

if you get a problem let us know and you can easily modify the report template to include a line like 50% or something to reduce them all.

Hope That Helps
    :O)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vikpaw; 17th February 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo + specify the 3 reports.

16. Thanks to vikpaw from:

enjay (17th February 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast