+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Learning Gateway Webcast in Technical; Originally Posted by ittech How does it fit on the screen? Does it work with touch based devices? Because a ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    How does it fit on the screen?

Does it work with touch based devices?
    Because a Register and AM7 Marksheet can be displayed and marked a few lines at a time it isn't an issue. You could do Profiles7 Reports as well but the success of that would depend how good the display was.

Touch based devices - I ain't sure but I am certain that Paul Metcalfe would be able to enlighten you.

I am still trying to get our leadership team to invest in some mobile devices so that Pe, Geography, History etc. etc. can record data and mark registers offsite/on playing field etc. etc.! Not sure I will win that one before I retire - especially with our lack of resources!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Because a Register and AM7 Marksheet can be displayed and marked a few lines at a time it isn't an issue. You could do Profiles7 Reports as well but the success of that would depend how good the display was.
    I know it can work but i thought i was not practical due to the screen size. AFAIK it displays much like how Lesson Monitor displays i.e. list of students down the left and all the periods at the top. If its one of the later periods how do you know which students you are marking? Not sure what you mean by what you said above. Unless its something different from the Attendance Register Webpart, i really cant see working practically.

Thank Post
    Thought i should include a pic to illustrate:

This is a screen cap of a pda, i've tried a few browsers and they are pretty much the same. After login and 3 page loads later, you can zoom in to do a register but as you see if its a later period, like the image shows, you dont really know who you are registering.

This is a problem for our staff, they will complain that zoomed out its too small and zoomed in there is too much faff trying to find out where you are registering. Even if all it is to mark all of em present with only a few edits of whos absent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Sorry that your question wasn't answered - we had 180 people linked in.
    Perhaps they should have had a 15 min Q&A rather than the 2 min one and more questions could have been answered

Thank Post
    To be honest.. that was what i thought it was going to be given that it states:

This live webcast will also give you the opportunity to have your SIMS Learning Gateway questions answered in an interactive Q&A session.
    I guess i must have misunderstood what the above meant.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I managed to catch most of it, would be great if they made it available for download to watch again!

Some of the 'live' demos they shown were quite impressive design wise. Other than that, SLG is SLG. At its core it does the same no matter how pretty you make it look.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Would be interested on watching a recorded version if one comes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    @PhilNeal - Will a recording of this be available as requested by another poster above?
    I would certainly appreciate it myself too.
    I asked the same question on SupportNet and got the following response so i'll post up a linky when i get one:

On 10th February 2010 you posted to the topic entitled [Webcast today @13:30]

Hi Vik
    Yes the webcast will be available so once we have the film archived and hosted onto our web I will send you the link so that you can download the presentation.
    Many Thanks
    Nicola

Nicola Woolston
    Senior Marketing Executive
    Capita Children's Services

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    No thank you re. Bromcom!
    And yes you can mark registers using a mobile device using SLG.
    We also had one member of staff complete her AM7 Assessments on her Blackberry on the way to school one morning on the bus! And that is from a person who is normally late with everything and HATES using a computer!
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Thought i should include a pic to illustrate:

This is a screen cap of a pda, i've tried a few browsers and they are pretty much the same. After login and 3 page loads later, you can zoom in to do a register but as you see if its a later period, like the image shows, you dont really know who you are registering.

This is a problem for our staff, they will complain that zoomed out its too small and zoomed in there is too much faff trying to find out where you are registering. Even if all it is to mark all of em present with only a few edits of whos absent.
    Bromcom have an iphone version of their Teacherswebfolder app, i don't know if it works on other platforms. I'm waiting to trial it but that gives a better view.

SLG can be done on a PDA type device, but it's not built for it, for that you need a separate module which is SIMS Mobile but i've never looked into it, and that's a link to SIMS direct not via sharepoint AFAIK.

see SIMS Mobile Registration - Capita Children's Services - but as with everything that'll cost you extra.

So far the SLG webparts feel quite clunky and as well as not being particular nice to look at, aren't very interactive or easy to use.
    EDIT: but i'm hoping the webcast will show me something new, sleek and unique...
    Last edited by vikpaw; 14th February 2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    Your delectation awaits:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/expoclip/Capita_Secondary_100210.html

Enjoy, but wait 5 mins before you follow the link so i can get it cached first!

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

tmcd35 (16th February 2010)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    So far the SLG webparts feel quite clunky and as well as not being particular nice to look at, aren't very interactive or easy to use.
    EDIT: but i'm hoping the webcast will show me something new, sleek and unique...
    Your not the only one thinking that, I just watched the webcast and no wonder they only show powerpoint slides in the demos they do in school. That interface is horrific.

It looks like they are trying to recreate Sims on a web page, not the right way to go imo.

Can't ever imagine using that on a netbook or mobile device.

Thank Post
    Just realised there's a primary version too.

Capita_Primary_100210

Thank Post
    Watching the video as we speak.... most informative

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Your not the only one thinking that, I just watched the webcast and no wonder they only show powerpoint slides in the demos they do in school. That interface is horrific.

It looks like they are trying to recreate Sims on a web page, not the right way to go imo.

Can't ever imagine using that on a netbook or mobile device.
    i demonstrated slg internally to a staff member yesterday and was asked "can't we just have SIMS on the internet". I replied that was what we had, well, at least as close as we can get at this stage to some of the funtions. They have SIMS on their laptop which is used from home which for us is still on site thus on the intranet, and they couldn't understand why they just couldn't do that everywhere.

even though it's not netbook / mobile friendly, at least you don't need the SIMS client app and you get relatively straight forward access from anywhere in the world. that's a big plus.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12