+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Latest serco Facility upgrade in Technical; same here for the client files and a shortcut. saved a lot of work we did an upgrade a couple ...
    Thank Post
    same here for the client files and a shortcut.

saved a lot of work
    we did an upgrade a couple of weeks ago and all seems to be fine our attendance person said facility was faster.

wow i did not expect that.

touch wood eportal and facility are running fine.

a little test for performance of eportal
    on one of your workstations
    install fiddler and monitor all http activity ,log in to eportal on our system eportal can not find a few css files and that slows things down abit does anyone else have this issue.
    http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/
    Last edited by round2it; 1st March 2010 at 08:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just like to say thanks John for your input - and i'd just like to endorse it while i'm here, he's bang on, as per.

Mic @ Serco

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by round2it View Post
    install fiddler and monitor all http activity ,log in to eportal on our system eportal can not find a few css files and that slows things down abit does anyone else have this issue.
    Have you tried deleting (or preferably renaming, as you'll need to refer back to a lot of the files in it) the webapps/eportal folder and stopping/restarting the ePORTAL service to get it rebuilt? This is the main tomcat application folder that gets upgraded when you install later versions, but there has long been a problem with the way in which the "maintain settings" option works. The installation should maintain everything that you've been busily tweaking inside eportal after each upgrade, but often as not you'll find that it either loses your own changes or blindly copies the older settings back into the new version. This can mean that newer settings etc. simply aren't available in the new build. It's possible (although I've never really looked into it) that this also applies to the css files, so the delete and rebuild of the webapps/eportal folder might help.

If I were you, I'd definitely test this outside of school hours, preferably in the holidays. If it doesn't resolve the css issue then you should probably just stop services, delete your new eportal folder and rename the old one back in. If it does solve the css problem then you have two options, either you can spend time tracking down your xml settings tweaks and reimplement then in the new eportal folder (which can take quite some time, and has the risk that you miss some important settings if you don't keep a written record anywhere), or just copy the contents of the styles folder back into your backup eportal folder, delete the new eportal folder and rename the backup back in again. You might need to take some extra care, though, if you've been implementing any styles tweaks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    A pearl from my own Serco systems experience, its very much worth, if you have upgraded e portal time and time and time again to do a full clean uninstall of JUST Eportal from add/remove programs and do a clean install of it. This solved a lot of my stupid little problems and annoyances, fine I also rebuilt my XMLs from scratch, billets customisation etc which was a PITA, Mic @ Serco knows that as I had a rant at him after I was up until about 4am re-tweaking them to meet the layout that my staff prefer but it has made a big difference to our system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12