+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.net - Exporting a Template in Technical; Wonder if anybody can help me with this. I'm trying to export assessment templates from SIMS.net. I've gone through the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts

SIMS.net - Exporting a Template

Wonder if anybody can help me with this.

I'm trying to export assessment templates from SIMS.net. I've gone through the "Routines > Data Out > Assessment > Export" and successfully exported that way, however all that is in the created XML file are the gradesets used on the template, there is nothing in there to do with the layout of the template itself.

Anybody have any idea how you get the actual template in to an XML file that can then be imported back in to SIMS? (if that's possible)

I want to study the XML structure so I can automate the creation of templates with a bit of code, it'll save me going in to each individual template to add the same column over and over again each time the decision is made to alter them in some way.

EDIT:
    Seems to have been a glitch the first time I tried it, just tried again and this worked perfectly. Sorry for the pointless post, Mods feel free to delete or lock this thread as you see fit.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 27th January 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Update

Thank Post
    As this is still open, is there anybody here (particularly from Capita) who has details of the structure of the different XML files generated by SIMS that they'd be willing to share? It'd be really useful for a few projects I'm working on...

Thank Post

Editing Templat XML

I have exported, changed templates and reimported succesfully.

only used find and replace in notepad.
    I have created an excel vba macro that takes a template template and finds and copies lots of information allowing me to produce several hundead templates relatively quickly.

Today I wanted to create a new template that is a copy of another template but with another resultset (it has lots formula and over 60 columns which need the resultset change). Just exported to xml, opened in notepad, just took template node, and found and replaced the resultset - took me a couple of minutes far quicker than the alternatives.

Also used it to bulk produce aspects.

not very sophisicated but has allowed us to very quickly things that would of taken us ages otherwise

Thank Post

VBA Code on Support net

A copy of the excel workbook with the vba I used is available in filesharing on supportnet number 619.

5. Thanks to Dancer from:

LosOjos (28th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks Dancer I'll have a look.

I can just work through various templates and pick up everything I need to know about the XML structure (such as how the formulas are written in to the XML) but it would save me a lot of time and trial and error if I could get a whitepaper of some sort.

I think I'll request it over at SupportNet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
    A copy of the excel workbook with the vba I used is available in filesharing on supportnet number 619.
    I was going to say, i thought i'd discussed doing this with someone on supportnet. Still haven't found a decent xml editor to make the task easier, notepad is to basic, but Word - 'wordifies' too much.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try Notepad++.

Thank Post
    I use NotePad++ for pretty much everything, *especially* XML where one missed right angle bracket can break the entire document for most dotNet applications.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I was going to say, i thought i'd discussed doing this with someone on supportnet. Still haven't found a decent xml editor to make the task easier, notepad is to basic, but Word - 'wordifies' too much.
    Try 'Liquid XML Studio'

Download XML Editor, XSD Editor, XML Code Generator, XML Compression | Liquid Technologies

They used to do a community free edition which is what I use, not sure if they still do. However, found it very useful.
    Also Oxygen is good if you buy it.
    Jedit seems to do everything and it is free.

11. Thanks to garrysaddington from:

vikpaw (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Try Notepad++.
    I use it for everything (php, html, css, bat, txt), but XML still doesn't quite work for me, at least not the outputs from SIMS. Unless i'm missing a plug in or something.

Quote Originally Posted by garrysaddington View Post
    Try 'Liquid XML Studio'

Download XML Editor, XSD Editor, XML Code Generator, XML Compression | Liquid Technologies

They used to do a community free edition which is what I use, not sure if they still do. However, found it very useful.
    Also Oxygen is good if you buy it.
    Jedit seems to do everything and it is free.
    Cheers, i'll give it a try.

Thank Post
    @garrysaddington - it's not free! poo! i'm taking the 30 day trial, not that i've got the time to play with xml this week - too busy playing with updates and addresses

if it works out, you may have to share your version if that's allowed - they do have community / education discounts and an option for still accessing old software so it should be ok.

just pulling down jedit now..

Thank Post
    Hi,
    Got to do lots of aspect creation and template-ing over the next few weeks. I will need to create a template for a subject (containing multiple aspects and formula) then duplicate for each year group (changing the result set) and for each subject (changing the aspect).

Does anyone have anything new to add to this post?

Aspect Creation Is there a way of getting the xml file to display like a spreadsheet, so I can just add rows with all the aspects I need?

IDs Templates and Aspects each have their own IDs. Can I just choose these myself so long as they are unique? Any restrictions - length, numbers, letters?

Changing Aspects in templates Changing the result set seems pretty straight forward. Any tips on changing the aspect?

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread