+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS and CC3 needs change in Technical; The school I look after is CC3 and we use SIMS. We originally used Bromcom but we moved from them ...

Thank Post

SIMS and CC3 needs change

The school I look after is CC3 and we use SIMS. We originally used Bromcom but we moved from them to start a trial for the council on SIMS Learning Gateway. At the moment, the behaviour is not accesible as a web part which means we have not had any behaviour reporting since September. We were hoping to see the web part introduced in october but now we have been told it has been put back until September 2010. The school wants to install SIMS into each classroom to use lesson monitor and continue to use SLG for marksheets.

My problem is that I currently have the admin server setup with a trust relationship and each workstation that currently requires SIMS for admin, has the member of staff set as priveledged user.

My thoughts are to map an S drive using RMMC to the admin server, create a shortcut to the sims app when installed on each workstation manually, add each staff member to the trust relationship so they use the share and they should be able to run.

Does this sound correct? Or is there an easier altenative that somebody has implemented?

Thank Post
    As long as users have access to the correct drives, won't running SIMSPERM solve the permissions issues?

Are the laptops built as CC3 or standalone?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't RM also provide the SIMS updates as CC3 packages?

I never used SIMS and CC3 together so never looked at the updates on the support pages, but it might be worth checking out?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Install on each workstation, make sure the permissions are correct, manually add the domain username as a local administrator or power user to ensure updates apply correctly and bob's your uncle. Very little to it. Add a usertype to CC3 for MIS users to ensure correct mapping of the S drive and relevant permissions also.

5. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Niko (1st March 2010)

Thank Post
    Yes Cache I believe they do.

Thank Post
    As others have already said, RM provide SIMS packages; these are essentially wrappers for the usual Capita-provided installers.

You should not need to assign local administrators or priviliged user rights to SIMS users. RM include a writeccess.ini in their SIMS infrastructure package which should assign the necessary rights to perform client updates. You may just need to ensure that your SIMS users belong to the Magement Information System group and there is a software restriction policy exception to allow users to execute the installers on the SIMS server: you would create a path rule to allow executables to be run from "\\simsserver\sims\*"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Add a usertype to CC3 for MIS users to ensure correct mapping of the S drive and relevant permissions also.
    You can map a drive in RMMC without changing the usertype. The standard usertype just means the S: (or whatever letter) drive is hidden, but is still mapped so SIMS can access it, it's just hidden from the user (ie explorer).

9. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

morganw (24th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    My thoughts are to map an S drive using RMMC to the admin server, create a shortcut to the sims app when installed on each workstation manually, add each staff member to the trust relationship so they use the share and they should be able to run.
    You actually don't need to provide to the S: drive for SIMS to run, but the 'normal' practice is to access your connect.ini file through that mapping (so if you ever need to point at a different sql database you just update the file on the server).

When SIMS is running all data goes through the sql connection so you do not have to give write access to the S: drive.

The only exception i've encountered is that if you have people using Nova-T4 then you'll have to give them write access to the S: drive (be careful what else they can get to on the same mapping). Technically Nova-T4 isn't supported and shouldn't be being used, but everyone here can't use anything else (apparently).

As far as I know RM don't supply SIMS updates (otherwise i'd be using them).

I've also tried various scripts / wrapper to deploy the SIMS client remotely but have encountered niggles with the infrastructure going on. I also can't get the simsperm batch file to run correctly as I can't get SubInACL to work at all, but if you can use it and avoid making staff CC3 'privileged users' then that would be the way to go to help preserve your workstation setup.

The new Solus3 deployment and update system should be out in a few months, hopefully that will make everything less of a nightmare to install and update.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    As others have already said, RM provide SIMS packages; these are essentially wrappers for the usual Capita-provided installers.
    Will check this out our local SIMS support team have never mentioned this, thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Will check this out our local SIMS support team have never mentioned this, thanks.
    Np, if you have access to RM's support site, the link is: http://www.rm.com/Support/GeneralDownload.asp?cref=DWN1567504

As you upgrade SIMS, you can just drop the simsapplicationsetup.exe (and the rest) into the appropriate package folder for future client installation.

This also gives you the option of reallocating once you've upgraded so SIMS client installations update when the computers start up (via WOL?) so users don't have to wait for for the update when they click the shortcut. Although, I haven't been doing this recently since Capita have improved (made quicker) the SOLUS client update.

13. Thanks to meastaugh1 from:

morganw (24th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Ah, I never thought of updating the files in the share. Usually I just assign the older package we have and let it update itself. Nice tip! Thanks.

Thank Post
    Other way maybe getting a Windows 2008 terminal server and using Remote Apps. RM packages seem to be the best way to deploy SIMS without having to worry about user permissions on CC3.

Thank Post
    Anyone found a way of stopping the Visual Basic Redist installer from asking for a reboot?
    It's set to install quietly but it doesnt.

Thank Post
    Is this part of the SIMS Infrastructure?

Thank Post
    Yes, it's this file...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    ...and i cant get it to stay silent, 9/10 times when scripted it's asks for a reboot. Oddly when I manually install the Sims Infrastructure 9/10 I don't get asked for a reboot, but sometimes I do.

Even the RM CC3 package instructions say you will possible have to click 'NO' to continue after installing the runtime. Pretty much defeats the idea of a remote deployment if I have to be there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast