+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, School MIS Systems in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Hahaha!!! Serious are you for real? I know I'm not the only one currently laughing, unless ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Hahaha!!! Serious are you for real? I know I'm not the only one currently laughing, unless your referring to truely free open source, then well... ok, I'll give you that.

PS: Suprised Sivadam hasn't posted!
    Sivadam has been at Bedford today for the Discover FT Closure meeting!

And I'll be laughing even louder than you if anybody thinks that they have a better system than that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msnealer View Post
    hi

I feel the same as many here, that the level of MIS systems in education in the UK is extremely low. I have found some good US ones that can be modified to the Uk though.

However I have defined specs for my own database system and if others are of a like mind, we could build our own.

If anybody is interested please email me or reply here.
    I'd be interested to hear which of the US ones you rate. Would be better posting answer in the US MIS forum though..

Thank Post
    I'm off to the States!

Thank Post
    Take a demo copy of Discover with you Phil!

There will be a vast market there for you!

Thank Post
    Another baptism of fire! Poor guy puts his first post on the forum and gets ripped to shreds with sarcasm and pi55 taking (Vikpaw excepted!).

Thank Post
    True, but how insulting is that SIMS\Bromcom\SchoolPack\Integris being labelled as poor by a new comer with no reason despite them being in the market for many years and investigate large amounts of time and money developing a UK specific MIS system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    True, but how insulting is that SIMS\Bromcom\SchoolPack\Integris being labelled as poor by a new comer with no reason despite them being in the market for many years and investigate large amounts of time and money developing a UK specific MIS system.
    Perhaps it might have been nicer to ask why the new member thought this was the case and what was their experience of UK systems?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msnealer View Post
    However I have defined specs for my own database system and if others are of a like mind, we could build our own.
    What are your specs?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People are entitled to their opinions. There have been many thousands of posts pointing out why existing systems are poor, the general 'feel' is that they are not ideal when you read through these forums. People slating them and taking the mickey does not help anyone and makes those doing it look like arrogant fools.

10. Thanks to localzuk from:

EdWhittaker (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    People are entitled to their opinions. There have been many thousands of posts pointing out why existing systems are poor, the general 'feel' is that they are not ideal when you read through these forums. People slating them and taking the mickey does not help anyone and makes those doing it look like arrogant fools.
    100% spot on localzuk!

Additionally, one only needs to look at fine 3rd party tools such as Stars4Schools & 4Matrix (and their take-up) to see that there are areas, such as the handling of Assessment data, where the MIS' capability and user interfaces are well off where the user market needs them to be.

Thank Post
    I'm getting really feed up with being moaned at because I'm ranting about people, registering an account on public forum, not stating their background - ie where they work\worked so we know how they've interactived with the school environment (other then going to school). Then slating the UK MIS suppliers, knowing full well they won't defend themselves, not actually saying what the like\hate about the MIS and what they would do differently.

Saying we're going to make a new MIS, it isn't that difficult. It is. The amount of changes that happen each year is suprising and some of the stuff you need to do is complex to say the least. I personally blame that Becta MIS report, do you have any idea how much time and money is wasted looking at other MIS packages? Can you imaging having to invite them all in every year, and then if you did switch - OMG the re-training, transferring data. I prefer to have a look at the market, say, when you become an new school (include an academy), then be open to new products on the market, so if your using Integris you keep an new developments of SIMS and Bromcom.

Personally SIMS is the best, nothing comes near it. Don't waste your time, the problem with SIMS is the extras, just buy SIMS core, it's cheap, it does everything you legally need to do. Then look at 3rd party apps to bolt-on to SIMS. SIMS has an excellent API, and lot of people have made apps and they're cheaper and better then Capita's.

I appreact that the mods etc want to keep this a warm friendly place for all, but if someone's offering a new product, isn't that advertising? Shouldn't they give a bit more info then just a username?

PS: Can someone please make a school based finance system, something that is actually need - OMG do I hate FMS.

13. Thanks to matt40k from:

Sivadam (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry matt40k, there is a simple solution here - stop attacking new users in the way you did. Instead, ask them what their issues are etc... ie. Ask questions before you shoot...

Thank Post

Let's not get off track again guys, there are clearly 2 sides and plenty of fence in between.

The big enders get defensive when somebody implies their system is poor, and likewise the little enders do the same.

Personally, i read the post from the viewpoint that the poster was agreeing with the views of many others ( as in, the poster has gleaned an impression from other people here and feels akin to those views) , and it was after a long time, bringing the post as the OP was talking about building a custom system.

We should start looking at the specs that people want, even if a custom system is not built, maybe the dominant players in the market can take note.

I've seen and created quite a few change requests lately for SIMS, and if a discussion like this brings about more, then it can only be a good thing.

Let's not get sidetracked by debating whether someone's opinion is allowed or fairly formed.

16. Thanks to vikpaw from:

scholarpack (8th March 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm getting really feed up with being moaned at because I'm ranting about people, registering an account on public forum, not stating their background - ie where they work\worked so we know how they've interactived with the school environment (other then going to school). Then slating the UK MIS suppliers, knowing full well they won't defend themselves, not actually saying what the like\hate about the MIS and what they would do differently.

Saying we're going to make a new MIS, it isn't that difficult. It is. The amount of changes that happen each year is suprising and some of the stuff you need to do is complex to say the least. I personally blame that Becta MIS report, do you have any idea how much time and money is wasted looking at other MIS packages? Can you imaging having to invite them all in every year, and then if you did switch - OMG the re-training, transferring data. I prefer to have a look at the market, say, when you become an new school (include an academy), then be open to new products on the market, so if your using Integris you keep an new developments of SIMS and Bromcom.

Personally SIMS is the best, nothing comes near it. Don't waste your time, the problem with SIMS is the extras, just buy SIMS core, it's cheap, it does everything you legally need to do. Then look at 3rd party apps to bolt-on to SIMS. SIMS has an excellent API, and lot of people have made apps and they're cheaper and better then Capita's.

I appreact that the mods etc want to keep this a warm friendly place for all, but if someone's offering a new product, isn't that advertising? Shouldn't they give a bit more info then just a username?

PS: Can someone please make a school based finance system, something that is actually need - OMG do I hate FMS.
    A round of applause for Matt!

That is exactly one reason why I started posting on here!
    Often these first time posters do not respond back again. Those are even more suspicious!

Some first time posts look extremely suspicious. There are fewer now than there used to be. Probably because a few of us have started react to these suspicious posts in the way we have done! But they are still appearing.

Why would anyone in their first post - completely anonymously want to take such an approach?

And if you check some of my responses to these intial posts you will see that I have responded by offering help on occasions!

And some MIS Systems do handle Assessment Data very well but some schools do not appear to be fully conversant with this fact!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 8th March 2011 at 02:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Anonymity gives some protection against being attacked.

A lot of first time posters are long time lurkers. We speak to many at BETT.

If something looks suspicious report it.

Scaring off newcomers that don't hold the same views as you is not a way to encourage open debate. It's almost like you don't want the truth to get out.

19. Thanks to vikpaw from:

DavKellyPro (6th December 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread