+ Post New Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, School MIS Systems in Technical; Originally Posted by Sivadam Correct! Originally Posted by Sivadam There can only be one word for this! DISGUSTING Can you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Correct!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam
    There can only be one word for this! DISGUSTING
    Can you see how that comes across as annoyed?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Can you see how that comes across as annoyed?
    Does it say I am annoyed?

I am now starting to get annoyed with this thread so I'll leave it for a while!

See the difference?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I thought that these Forums did not support any particular MIS and that blatant advertising etc was not allowed.
    So why have the MIS Forums now become sponsored by a company producing a MIS?
    Maybe they should now put this out to tender and sell out to the highest bidder!
    The MIS forum was availbale for sponsorship, so Scholarpak offered to sponsor. Serco, Capita and anyone else could have done so, but none did. The same way SmoothWall sponsor the Internet Related and Filtering forum, or NetSupport sponsor the Classroom Management forum and Axel the Thin Client forum. Becasue it makes sense for them to do so. Anyone else could have done so too.

4. 6 Thanks to Dos_Box:

GREED (9th November 2010), localzuk (9th November 2010), LosOjos (9th November 2010), michael2k6 (9th November 2010), scholarpack (9th November 2010), vikpaw (9th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    @Sivadam: you regularly come on here and advertise SupportNet and constantly attack anybody who says anything negative about Capita: if you can give it, learn to take it!

6. Thanks to LosOjos from:

marshharrier (13th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not one generally to stick up for others on a forum, it is only words and you lot are more than capable of fending for yourselves!

However, I would say that there is a difference between having a point of view and defending that, and blindly attacking 'non-believers' without consideration for the argument, of which working with Sivedam for a number of years (albeit electronically) I would put into the former category. I would put most recent posters in this thread into that category...

Anyways -

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I'm not one generally to stick up for others on a forum, it is only words and you lot are more than capable of fending for yourselves!

However, I would say that there is a difference between having a point of view and defending that, and blindly attacking 'non-believers' without consideration for the argument, of which working with Sivedam for a number of years (albeit electronically) I would put into the former category. I would put most recent posters in this thread into that category...

Anyways -
    I agree with you that there is a difference between somebody defending their POV and attacking, but having frequented these forums for nearly a year now, I would say that 90% of Sivadam's posts are to shoot people down who have anything bad to say about SIMS, and 10% are actually productive/helpful, and it's becoming a standing joke to regulars. That is my opinion.

Back on topic: how many schools are using ScholarPack? I had a look at the demo on the website and it looks like a good start, but wondered how many schools are using it in it's current form successfully? How does customisation of that work; straight editing of the code or via an API?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Congratulations to scholarpack. I hope that having a sponsor will help us keep the forum impartial because there should be no other advertising, we all know it's been creeping in over the past year in subtle ways.

Having a sponsor doesn't mean that the site endorses a particular product, it just means that they have paid for the privilege to mention their products. We're all discerning enough to weigh up the pros and cons as can be seen in this thread amongst many. I'm sure any inadequacies will be slated just like with any other product as it's our way . The key point is that other companies shouldn't be drawing attention to their offerings, taking advantage of EduGeek.net 's prominence and standing, without stumping up the cash for the amazing marketing opportunity that it is.

Now, like graham said lets focus, it was getting really interesting until that interruption.
    @losojos, lets start a new thread on scholarpack.

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (9th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Back on topic: how many schools are using ScholarPack? I had a look at the demo on the website and it looks like a good start, but wondered how many schools are using it in it's current form successfully? How does customisation of that work; straight editing of the code or via an API?
    All the schools we have so far have not required vast customisation outside of the package we offer (which is pretty comprehensive). Most customisation is handled in house because we have a SAAS model allowing us to roll out updates to all schools regularly and overnight, however developers in individual schools are welcome to get involved and write new modules for their schools or for distribution.

The online demo shows the Open Source version which is freely downloadable. Soon this will be changed so the demo shows the full enterprise version with more modules. So far, in 12 weeks, we have had over 750 downloads throughout the world of the source code. Due to the open source nature of this software we are not aware of how these downloads are being used! (apart from the positive feedback often from 3rd world countries strangely). However, presently we are working with 12 schools who are just getting going with implementing ScholarPack Enterprise (free for UK schools version) which we host and provide support for. The advertising on Edugeek is our first marketing push and we hope to sign up many more schools early next year. Obviously. we are a young company in the MIS market and we are fully aware that it may take some time to make a dent in the market. However, we have the funding, the resources and the will to do this.

Cheers

12. 2 Thanks to scholarpack:

Jonsi (9th November 2010), LosOjos (9th November 2010)

Thank Post

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I agree with you that there is a difference between somebody defending their POV and attacking, but having frequented these forums for nearly a year now, I would say that 90% of Sivadam's posts are to shoot people down who have anything bad to say about SIMS, and 10% are actually productive/helpful, and it's becoming a standing joke to regulars. That is my opinion.
    It is my opinion as well! And I am completely open about that!
    I have constantly stated that I am posting here for exactly that reason! I naively think that there are now fewer posts that attack the software for no apparant or for misconceived reasons than there were previously!
    Actually I had quite a good reputatio at first and it only moved into the red when posts that I suspected of being mailicious appeared! The support that I got outside the forums at that time was astounding! Having lost all the red aquares that obtained at the time I have since moved back into the green!

I wonder how long it will last!

Ha! Ha! - too late - I am Red again! I have got my reputation back!

End of thread again for me - unless of course somebody comes back at me!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 9th November 2010 at 03:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The MIS forum was availbale for sponsorship, so Scholarpak offered to sponsor. Serco, Capita and anyone else could have done so, but none did. The same way SmoothWall sponsor the Internet Related and Filtering forum, or NetSupport sponsor the Classroom Management forum and Axel the Thin Client forum. Becasue it makes sense for them to do so. Anyone else could have done so too.

I requested the cost to advertise on the MIS forum in late 2009 .. was told Capita had reserved it ... I'm not agreeing with anyone, simply pointing it out.

Thank Post
    cool story bro

Thank Post
    I would have zero chance turning around to my manager and saying 'we want a ZIS and need to sort out a SIF agent or 2, it'll cost us 1000+'. It just won't happen, I'd be expected instead to come up with a solution like I have now which polls the system periodically for data I want - for free.
    So ignoring any clunkiness (or cost) involved in getting the data you want out of that system, what's the problem with polling? Is, at a time of your choosing, exchanging a few standard request/response messages with that theoretical "nice" system asking for those deltas since the last time, significantly worse than being sent the deltas one by one as they happen?

--

Yet again for horizontal within a school, I can see lots of cases for some kind of SIF-like-client -> SIF-like-service-exposing-the-MIS but where is that burning requirement for SIF Agents everywhere and a traffic-cop to route and keep on top of the (not-evident to me) complexity?

I keep asking this. Someone must be able to cite some real, practical examples, surely?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    I keep asking this. Someone must be able to cite some real, practical examples, surely?
    Link2ICT in Birmingham use SIF to provision users on to their IdP platform and their hosted Moodle. They use SIF as their schools use a mixture of CMIS and SIMS.net. There are some schools using the IdP to provision accounts on there local active directory domain. This allows teachers to login using there SSO ids.

Here is an article about the benefits of SIF SIF Strikes back Quarkside

@scholarpack does your free mis include an api? is this api free for anyone to access? Is it hosted on a private cloud or is it on a shared cloud?

Thank Post
    No not currently but we are working on a web services API for release early next year that small companies could use. It's not a priority at the moment. Hosted on a private cloud.

Thank Post
    Link2ICT in Birmingham use SIF to provision users on to their IdP platform and their hosted Moodle. <snip>There are some schools using the IdP to provision accounts on there local active directory domain.
    But that's all vertical isn't it? Recall I said "Yet again for horizontal within a school.."

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread