+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Extracting data automatically from CMIS in Technical; I do not think there is a reason for the jump - my data has the same gaps. There is ...
    Thank Post

Re: Extracting data automatically from CMIS

I do not think there is a reason for the jump - my data has the same gaps.

There is no other data that defines the individual instance so that has to be the field.

Thank Post

Cheers m8

Looks like we are singing from the same sheet.

As i am looking to importing a spreadsheet that keeps track of students visiting our referral room (yes i know we can do that in ePortal directly but dont ask!! )

If i am going to import this spreadsheet into the system i need to find what determines the value of the AppEventId :?:

Mark

Thank Post

Not brave enough to pull data back in to CMIS for just this reason - many of the tables have no logic to them at all - have you seen the way it records lesson by lesson attendance!!

Thank Post

cheers limbo

i have asked our Serco support to provide me with the database diagram that i can import to the SQL Server so i can see what and how tables are linked

It boggles my mind that this isnt readily available as surely you would need such a thing to create the bloomin database!

Thank Post

Well here is some fun code that I have been hacking around with in php.

It reads assesment data from the KS3, KS4 Assesment framework.

It should be relatively safe to use, as at the moment it only does database reads, no updates or drops etc.

This is not release quality, but if enough people are interested it could be built into a community project.

License is GPL 2

edit the config.php file with the connection details for your database.

Regards

Budgester
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark80
    Hi Simon

i have found the tables that are used for the "Events" part of CMIS

APPAPPFIELDS
    APPAPPEVENT
    APPEVENTDEFN

I am trying to put together this in MS Access through an ODBC link to the live data.

I have stumbled across how some of the tables are linked but to be honest its a real pigs ear!!

Anyone know the significance of the "AppEventId"??

Mark
    Thanks Mark, I see what you mean about the pigs ear!!

Simon

Thank Post

If you mean APPEVENTID in the APPAPPSFIELDS table.

Each occuring event is given an individual ID

If an event has more than one field assigned to it then each field is stored in a seperate row in the APPAPPFIELDS table, and the event is identified by the APPEVENTID.

Or so I believe.........

Thank Post

mark80
    It boggles my mind that this isnt readily available as surely you would need such a thing to create the bloomin database!
    CMIS was written by an external company and changed hands many times the reason for the blank tables are for some schools in different areas that require them and for bits of the app you may not use, but most of all they have no idea what all the tables do and no one their end will remove any

I have my project in asp and has been runining for well about 4 months now with only a few problems all been solved , if anyone is also going to be using asp and has any probs send me a pm and i will see if i can help with the problem

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by budgester
    If you mean APPEVENTID in the APPAPPSFIELDS table.

Each occuring event is given an individual ID

If an event has more than one field assigned to it then each field is stored in a seperate row in the APPAPPFIELDS table, and the event is identified by the APPEVENTID.

Or so I believe.........
    That makes sense, but what doesnt is the inconsistancy of how the number is allocated see my post on page 1

Thank Post

cheers limbo

i have asked our Serco support to provide me with the database diagram that i can import to the SQL Server so i can see what and how tables are linked

Did you ever get a copy of the database diagram or any help with interfacing with CMIS ? Do we have to use SIF or are we "allowed" direct conenction to the tables ? I am getting mixed messages.

Thank Post

i can see no reason why you cant directly interface with the db to get the data that you want.

if you want to look at whats in the db either take a direct look at the sql db or restore a backup to a msaccess db and open it up and have a play around if you want to test take the backup restored to access move it into a iis set up and use that to get the hang of things and run tests on.

Im curious of what other people use CMIS DB for anyone want to "own up" to and take credit for?

Personally i use it to pull student info, assessment results and events into intranet apps.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StArbiter
    cheers limbo

Did you ever get a copy of the database diagram or any help with interfacing with CMIS ? Do we have to use SIF or are we "allowed" direct conenction to the tables ? I am getting mixed messages.
    No i didnt

there is however a "Data Dictionary" that is available through SERCO's new support forum but tbh its a load of poop

Thank Post

I'm looking into linking into our CMIS database at the moment to pull student timetable data to import into moodle with any luck. Does anyone else on here do this, or know if someone somewhere's developed a way of doing it. I've checked out the moodle forums, and there is talk of development of a cmis link, but no actual working solution by the looks of things.

cheers,

Mike.

Thank Post

Im curious of what other people use CMIS DB for anyone want to "own up"
    I use the CMIS db for a host of different things outside of the CMIS and eportal apps.

- All our usernames for the network are generated automatically from the student tables (Link2ICT said their vision is that this will be possible in as little as 12 months - and we have been doing it for abour six years one way or another!)

- Our entire learning platform is linked directly to the data including assessment and attendance reports, simple internal email system using timetable and group data to work out who can email to who (including staff to an entire class group) All dynamically making our learning platform zero maintenance.

- Assessment spreadsheets for staff linked directly to the data, including being able to update them from home via the web (http without a VPN)

- enrolment photograph system to take a picture of every student in the sixth form as they enrol and link it to their student id

- All exchange email lists are updated from the data - year group tutors, department lists tc.

- Mentoring targets are recorded in a seperate db but linked to CMIS studnet accounts.

- All data needed for other apps such as report writing and library is extracted via sql rather than using CMIS report writer.

- School website staff lists, tutor lists etc. all dynamically linked to the db so that the maintenance is reduced.

- IT helpdesk linked directly to CMIS for staff lists and rooms

- Asset loan database linked to CMIS for staff lists

Plus a few other little bits and pieces that we have developed over the years.

Curently working on an assessment tracking system that pulls out KS3 levels taken every term and comparing them to what would be an expected progression based on KS2 SATS and KS3 expected grades which is giving me a headache but had a breathrough yesterday which has given me hope!

Thank Post

impressive list this is the kinda stuff i want us to be doing, but alas i have been offered another job with less responsibility more money and closer to home so i feel i gotta go.

So my development with cmis will stop but still up for helping people if ya need any help so gimme a shout

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast