+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - Overall School Percentages... how? in Technical; In need of some advice... I currently have to work out each term how our school is performing.... (Percentages KS4 ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy SIMS - Overall School Percentages... how?

In need of some advice...

I currently have to work out each term how our school is performing....
    (Percentages KS4 5A*-C or KS3 5+ / 6+... ect...)

I produce a booklet that includes how each subject is performing against FFT or in house predictions.

I currently use Assessment Manager for this (as well as chance analysis to calculate 3 levels progress etc...), I slowly go through each marksheet and right click above every column that i wish to have percentage data for. This is a very time consuming job (we are a huge school) and now we have to provide the same statistics for minority groups which means using the filters on each marksheet. This in turn makes the job of Termly Analysis of data an extremely time consuming one.

Can anyone advise of a quicker method to work out subject percentages using SIMS? or overall school percentages?

Is there any database or software out there that i can feed data from SIMs in to allow instant analysis to be produced?

Thank Post
    I think you will be delighted when SIMS Discover is available!
    Wow!

http://agent4change.net/index.php?op...ion&Itemid=463
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th December 2009 at 12:50 PM.

3. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Matthews (18th December 2009)

Thank Post

WOW!

Yeah that does look very impressive!!!
    I wonder how long that will take to distribute to schools....
    I assume i'm not the only one with this problem then...

Thanks for the reply...

Thank Post
    Some things are easier than others. For a breakdown of numbers/percentages of students attaining L5+, L6+, L4, L5, etc in a each subject, an aspect analysis is the way to go. Group filters (some of which will have to be assessment user defined groups unfortunately) will allow you to restrict this to FSM/Non-FSM, SEN Action, Action+, EAL, etc, etc.

For 5+ A*-C, you need a "review" marksheet that will calculate this figure from attainment/predictions for all subjects, and then you can use a group analysis to show 5 A*-C for all, boys, girls, fsm, non-fsm, sen, etc, etc in a given year. Alternatively, aspects that contain 5 A*-C, 5 A*-G, 5 A*-C E&M, etc, etc would allow you to show each of these for a given set of filters.

Chance analyses are good for conversion data, e.g. how many/what percentage of students who were >L4, at L4, >L4 on entry are predicted 5 A*-C, etc.

Result set analyses, if you have your result sets set (!) up in the right way, will allow you to see how a cohort is progressing through the school, and again, filtering by various groups will let you modify the cohort.

The biggest catches, really, are that:
    - things like SEN status have to be done as an assessment group, which means you need to modify the group membership semi-manually every so often
    - you can't do a chance analysis of a non-assessment field against an assessment aspect
    - it's all a little user-unfriendly, and there doesn't seem to be much access control or read-write restriction (although I've not played with that side of it heavily)
    - you are only allowed 25 (yes, twenty-five) characters for the name of an analysis grid. This really doesn't make life easy if you want several grids

At the moment, I'm playing with a couple of possibilities:
    - make a suite of grids externally via the import XML option (I do this with marksheet templates at the moment so I can modify my "KS3 Y9 template template" rather than making new templates for English, Maths, Science, History, etc
    - maybe just exporting the data and analysing it externally.

The one thing that is fantastic with the analysis grids, is that if you add them to a user's homepage, they can double-click a cell to see which students fit in the group, and then click on a student's name to see their details. The grids are also "live", so that if an assessment is changed, re-populating the grid will reflect those changes instantly.

The thing that is not fantastic about it all, is that there is no link in the other direction, for example, to get a good overview of a student's attainment given their name. There's a good chance I'll land up doing it outside of SIMS in order to get a more user-friendly interface; but then, wouldn't we just be using SIMS as a slightly awkward interface for entering assessment data?

6. Thanks to MattMitchell from:

Matthews (18th December 2009)

Thank Post

thanks Matt

... sounds like i'm pretty much doing it a you've described.

Have you figured a way within SIMS or AM7 to calculate the overall school percentage?

I have set up marksheets that calculate how many students are getting 5 A*-C including and excluding E&M but as yet havent found a way of calulating (without extracting the data) a way to calculate overall how we are doing termly... if we are heading to our school target....

Kel

Thank Post
    If you have a yes/no gradeset, with 1 for yes and 0 for no, then the mean value gives you the percentage. Otherwise, a chance-type analysis can show you this for a given group, e.g. Year 11.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread