+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, FMS and printing issues in Technical; Hi folks, I work for a LA, and over the last few years we have always had occaisional problems where ...
    Thank Post

FMS and printing issues

Hi folks,

I work for a LA, and over the last few years we have always had occaisional problems where schools Cheque runs freeze or fail to start etc, however these are usually few and far between.

Within the last month we have had a large number of instances of this problem in different schools where the usual KB (35865) that resolves this either fails to help or only resolves the issue temporarily.

I was wondering if any other LA's or Support providers had noticed such a problem recently or if anyone was aware of any issue. Capita are understandanbly unable to test against the wide range of hardware available so they can't really comment.

Given that all the schools have been affected very recently I thought it might be a Microsoft update had knocked something out and felt you guys might be in the loop as to what the problem was.

It isn't an issue with the FMS upgrade as schools have reported it running different versions of FMS. The antivirus clients and printers in use seem to vary also.

Anyone know of anything or experiencing similar?

Thank Post
    Haven't seen anything here from my three FMS users and they're on XP SP3 with all Dec patches. They're printing to a HP 2400 though, nothing wierd or exotic.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have this.

Capita say they are changing the way FMS prints to counter these issues, either released in Autumn or Spring Release.

Thank Post
    I don't think the printing changes that are coming will address the issue being raised here. If I recall the changes are to ensure that rather than each cheque being a separate task, the cheque run will be a single task.

I'm sure that you will have been through our desk to report the issue - if not then please do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Phil

Apologies if I have read wrong, but the issue where cheque prints are missed etc should be fixed by this, as it will be one print run rather than individual ones, which is where, so I have been told, is where the problem lies.

Apologies I have just re-read the original post and I am talking rubbish!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Phil

Apologies I have just re-read the original post and I am talking rubbish!
    You Graham?
    Nah I cannot believe that! Must be de-mob fever!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No to be honest I do talk a lot of rubbish most of the time!

Thank Post
    It's the lovely Delphi printing issue, isn't FMS going to be able to export to excel soon? Also why haven't they got a built-in export to PDF feature yet? They can export to PDF for fees in SIMS. Bah humbug.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2 words... change request?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I'm sure that you will have been through our desk to report the issue - if not then please do.

Thanks Phil,

I did ask at the helpdesk but they were unable to help due to the diverse range of hardware that could potentially be affected, I was really asking them in order to see if anyone else had reported similar.

I've been collating information about the problem sites, the majority are using XP sp 3 with Brother HL-**** printers connected to the machines in differing ways. I think it is unlikely to be firmware related so I'm tempted to point the finger at Windows update.

Some are successfully running cheques when logged in as admin (which has happened historically too) and others not.

We'll sort it out, it's just giving me a bit of a headache at the moment.

Thank Post
    This could be related to another issue that has been reported - after running the latest MS security updates some people are reporting that Word printing is failing. MS have put up a known issue but the workround isn't great.

12. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

superfletch (15th December 2009)

Thank Post
    We’re still working on this issue, all attempts so far at re-producing the problem have failed. (the 200+ windows updates required to get a ‘clean’ XP sp2 image up to scratch to mirror the schools setup took forever to apply, and then still worked fine...)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know Phil Simon just told me the story of this... should work in my office for a day!!! lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    Thanks Phil,

I did ask at the helpdesk but they were unable to help due to the diverse range of hardware that could potentially be affected, I was really asking them in order to see if anyone else had reported similar.

I've been collating information about the problem sites, the majority are using XP sp 3 with Brother HL-**** printers connected to the machines in differing ways. I think it is unlikely to be firmware related so I'm tempted to point the finger at Windows update.

Some are successfully running cheques when logged in as admin (which has happened historically too) and others not.

We'll sort it out, it's just giving me a bit of a headache at the moment.
    Please share your findings. I'd rather staple my eyelids together than deal with another Cheque printing problem.

Had the same response from the helpdesk. Doesn't help that the supportnet forums only go back a few months as this issue has been reported on there many times before.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I'd rather staple my eyelids together than deal with another Cheque printing problem.
    To be fair in the past the problem has always been down to a bust driver or a bad profile and represents a relatively easy fix. In honesty I hate cheque printing problems with the same level of passion as you.

So far I havent collated anything about Windows update which is where I suspect the problem to be, but almost all the printers (6 of 7) are Brothers, and a small number (2 of 7) are also affected when printing reports from SIMS net (well - SIMS ouputs to Word then it fails to Print).

In about half the cases logging on as administrator (machines on a workgroup) seems to resolve the problem.

Antivirus is very varied, McAfee, AVG, ClamWin and Sophos are all in play.

Connection to the printer varies, some USB, some Serial and some Network.

A straightforward reinstall of the driver rarely works outright, although sometimes fixes the problem for a couple of print runs.

I'm tempted to suggest all the schools to delete the printers outright, run windows update until there is nothing left to do, then add the printers again.

Anyone??
    Last edited by superfletch; 16th December 2009 at 10:51 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast