+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62
MIS Systems Thread, Capita 'billed schools £75m too much' in Technical; Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad A good reason for a standard MIS system country wide No chance of this I'm afraid ...
  1. #31
    garrysaddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hogsthorpe
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    A good reason for a standard MIS system country wide
    No chance of this I'm afraid until government gain the 'b****' to standardise/back one product/stop being scared of big business, or all three.

  2. #32
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,439
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 490 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Well we have been offered the bargain price of £450 to customise the colours and add a logo to a predefined learning gateway template.

    Seeing as this takes about 10 minutes (I did ours so I should know ) it's a pretty good return for them!

  3. #33
    garrysaddington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hogsthorpe
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    This is called exploitation, how are they allowed to get away with it?

  4. #34

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,848
    Thank Post
    671
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Well we have been offered the bargain price of £450 to customise the colours and add a logo to a predefined learning gateway template.

    Seeing as this takes about 10 minutes (I did ours so I should know ) it's a pretty good return for them!
    AND that is the half price special offer price!

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Bromcom’s Clarification

    <Post Edited - We are not a site for commercial companies to gain advantage over their competitors and this post goes against our policy of impartiality >
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 16th December 2009 at 10:45 AM.

  6. #36

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Just when I thought this topic was done and dusted...

  7. #37
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,439
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 490 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Those in glass houses......

    We are currently being held hostage by Bromcom (at least that's how it feels) because we are on an old version of your MIS software. I can't use things like version 3 of Winfolder. Letter designer and generator do not work completely on vista, but there is no one there who can fix it because it appears that no original developers are left.

    The answer to everything is to attempt to sell us the new version. This is especially frustrating after the large amounts of maintenance we continue to pay, which doesn't include major version upgrades and increasingly little support on our aged equipment.

    I don't like any MIS though.

  8. #38

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Might get myself into trouble here, but dare I ask how it is that, plan and simple, Capita has a huge market share of schools in terms of MIS delivery?

    Forgetting all else... might it be that they just have the best product???

  9. #39
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    One wonders if one ought to comment on this ..............
    One also wonders if one would be admonished if one did post a VERY relevant comment ........
    Maybe I should and they would close the topic!

  10. #40

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,662
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Might get myself into trouble here, but dare I ask how it is that, plan and simple, Capita has a huge market share of schools in terms of MIS delivery?

    Forgetting all else... might it be that they just have the best product???
    You can't come to that conclusion, as the issue is that they've supposedly been anti-competitive. Part of that via lock-in. (Note, supposedly) Its like saying that Windows is the best O/S product or Internet Explorer being the best browser, but you can't say it due to Microsoft having been found guilty on several occasions of anti-competitive behaviour.

    'All else' is what is important, you can't just ignore it.

  11. #41
    skunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    311
    Thank Post
    88
    Thanked 40 Times in 33 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    I have issues with both companies mentioned on this forum as we use products produced by both of them and are generally charged a great deal by both for very little.

    The idea that SIMS is BEST, just made me shower my monitor with tea, really? Really? REALLY?

    If it is, then heaven help us all........now I am going to go away and cry that this may in fact be the reality!

  12. #42
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Maybe the answer is that SIMS is such a very, very good Product.

    Yes, there may be other good systems out there but once you have become skilled in the various aspects of ALL of SIMS then there really is no point in looking elsewhere. Very few systems can do MORE than SIMS and there is absolutely no point whatsoever in using add-on systems, when SIMS systems are so good in the first place.

    Skunk,
    maybe you should post your Issues with Capita Support Desk. One wonders what they are however .........
    If the product is as bad as you say then why don't people like myself pursuade the school to go elsewhere? There is absolutely no way I would even contemplate that!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 16th December 2009 at 10:41 AM.

  13. #43
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,439
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 490 Times in 430 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Maybe the answer is that SIMS is such a very, very good Product.

    Yes, there may be other good systems out there but once you have become skilled in the various aspects of ALL of SIMS then there really is no point in looking elsewhere. Very few systems can do MORE than SIMS and there is absolutely no point whatsoever in using add-on systems, when SIMS systems are so good in the first place.

    Skunk,
    maybe you should post your Issues with Capita Support Desk. One wonders what they are, however .........
    Apart from learning gateway. Which is rubbish.

    Do you know what it does if the database is busy during user creation? I doesn't write the logon name back into SIMS, making the provisioned account unusable. I was told that this was by design and the only way to fix is to repeatedly run the account report to look for blanks, remove and re-add the SLG provision for broken accounts.

    Support didn't get me far there did it!

  14. #44
    Sivadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dronfield - Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,449
    Thank Post
    136
    Thanked 208 Times in 175 Posts
    Rep Power
    55
    Some people would actually disagree with you re. SLG as well. And the enhancements that will be coming will make it even more user friendly.
    It currently does the job it was designed for - and does that very well.

    And I did not have the problems that you seem to have encountered! Our system must have been 'busy' when I provisioned. One wonders how 'busy' it would need to be to get the error ....
    Last edited by Sivadam; 16th December 2009 at 11:11 AM.

  15. #45

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    2,976
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 359 Times in 293 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    173
    Ok best maybe not the ideal word there...

    But are people above really saying that Capita ONLY have a market share because they lock their customers into the product and have to stay with them?

    If not, then there must be some foundation to my comment that Capita have a decent product.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Capita Unit-E upgrade
    By googlemad in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st July 2009, 05:04 PM
  2. Capita Unit-E
    By googlemad in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14th December 2008, 01:19 PM
  3. Budget - per capita?
    By pantscat in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17th October 2008, 09:17 PM
  4. Capita
    By SteveT in forum IT News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd March 2006, 09:35 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •