+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, ePortal Upgrade & Windows 7 in Technical; We have finally got the new Facility/ePortal working on a clean install of Win 2008/IIS7 but I think Serco have ...

Thank Post

ePortal Upgrade & Windows 7

We have finally got the new Facility/ePortal working on a clean install of Win 2008/IIS7 but I think Serco have built in code to stop ePortal from displaying at all in Windows 7.

ePortal works fine on all our XP machines, but every Windows 7 PC displays a funny looking "500 - Internal server error. There was a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed."

It worked pretty well before the upgrade and now will not even attempt to load.

Has anyone got this working through XP Mode?

Thank Post
    I can quite see why eportal wouldnt work. Does it work on the XP machines with ie8 on?

Thank Post
    The thing is it worked Windows 7 before the upgrade.

Serco announced a few weeks ago that will not support Win 7 and IE8 until May 2010. Now their latest upgrade seems to disable it from running on those platforms.

Thank Post
    Upon further testing this morning I have found it will not work within Firefox on a Windows 7 machine, but will work in the same version of Firefox on XP. It also now doesn't work on our 8 Win 2008r2 Terminal Servers used for thin client and remote access.

This is a disgrace. Windows 7 has been around in one form or another for about 12 months. We have been testing it for that long on our network. For Serco to say they will not support there product on Windows 7 is until May is one thing but to purposefully block it from working on that platform is just not on. It was working, maybe not as well as it should and would not of been supported. I could handle that.

We have been waiting years for a decent new OS. We also now have government policies on the encryption of mobile devices which contain personal data. Our plan to implement this was to deploy Windows 7 and Bitlocker starting in January. How can I now move staff laptops to Windows 7 in any kind of acceptible timeframe when they will not work with ePortal.

This has to be the final nail in Serco's coffin. We shall be at BETT this year for 3 days. We will not be spending any of that time at the Serco Facility stand. Instead we shall be visiting SIMS and any other providers of MIS systems.

Rant over

Thank Post
    Install firefox?

Thank Post
    My bad can't read and can't edit via the iPhone version of edugeek

Thank Post
    Ok after further investigation this problem turns out to be related to Single Sign On. It appears that Serco, in trying to fix SSO, have disabled support for NTLMv2.

To fix this issue there is a GPO to force Win 7 and 2008r2 machines to use only NTLM authentication. Lovely, Serco. I must lower the security on my network to make your product work.

8. Thanks to markberry from:

TYO (4th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi Mark,

Just to clarify - we haven't done anything to deliberately block ePortal or Facility from working with Windows 7.

Regards,

Nick

Thank Post
    No you haven't. Apologies for the rant but thats how we saw it the time. You have, however, dumbed down the security to only support NTLMv1 which is quite poor. NTLMv2 has been around since NT4 SP4,although not enabled by default, and has been the default since Vista and Server 2008. Single Sign On has always been a problem and I hope you are going to sort this in a future release.

Schools are desperate to upgrade to Windows 7 after most schools have not bothered with Vista. We also have goverment requirements to move to greater security with devices accessing personal data and for us to have to dumb down our security to support your product is very poor.

On the positive side, our ePortal server now seems to work without reaching 99% cpu usuage at the begining of each lesson.
    Last edited by markberry; 4th December 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi Mark,

We are working on Windows 7 support and a new method of SSO and we will make them available as soon as possible - sorry I can't be more specific at the minute, but I don't want to promise something we can't deliver.

Nick

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    I am a happy Win7 user of Eportal and Facility admin, so its is all down to your SSO I'm afraid, its working very well for me and has done for many months now. The SSO has always been iffy so I believe from talking to others.

Thank Post
    For the time being I have reverted back to non single sign on. We do not use Serco webparts so it's not essential for this and parent AD login details mirror eportal resource passwords so no real loss there either.

Thank Post
    After updating staff laptops fully during summer, including an update to ie8, serco is the first app they've had any trouble using. Now I need to install firefox. Joy.

Thank Post
    It works ok for us now we have reverted back to NTLMv1. In fact I have to say it is working better than pre upgrade. Maybe I shouldn't have said that, tempting fate.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread