+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CMIS importing teacher reports in Technical; Hi is it possible to upload an excel file containing teacher reports to ePortal? At the moment we are copying ...

Thank Post

CMIS importing teacher reports

Hi

is it possible to upload an excel file containing teacher reports to ePortal?

At the moment we are copying and pasting each cell from the spreadsheet into the class report table

You can then export to a spreadsheet

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don`t think you can do this to eportal, what are you attempting?

I think you can import SOME assessment data via a bulk import into facility, comments etc start to be a problem.

It is very easy to trash the system with bulk imports I should mention...

RobK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    I don`t think you can do this to eportal, what are you attempting?

I think you can import SOME assessment data via a bulk import into facility, comments etc start to be a problem.

It is very easy to trash the system with bulk imports I should mention...

RobK
    Hi RobK

I am a teacher and have to write reports into an ePortal table. There are two columns - comment and Area for development.

Most teachers seem to write their reports in Word or Excel and then copy and paste CELL BY CELL into the two columns in ePortal. I would prefer to write them directly into ePortal or, if I have used Excel, import them en masses into ePortal. I would find it absurd to copy and paste every cell individually from a spreadsheet into ePortal.

But more worryingly and inexplicably, when clicking in the wrong place on the ePortal table, the whole column of Areas for Development replicates the contents of the active cell. It seems that this cannot be undione. This happened today and I lost half hour of work.

So I am looking for a solution. Advice appreciated! Furthermore, and not within my power to implement, does this database not have a Report Writing Module with a decent User Interface?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Please don't take this the wrong way stoppaan, but sounds maybe like you need a bit more training on the data input into E-portal.

E-portal is designed for direct data entry into the database. Just click in the cell and type away, you don't have to copy and paste at all! Data can be entered straight into the fields in E-portal, these are pre-set by your Data Manager, you can do entire column changes if you click on the column headers in some cases so careful clicking is needed. There has been issues with the use of the tab key in the past within Eportal but these were fixed in the release that came out on Friday, but if its setup right you can tab between fields on the database and it will soon fly by. Comment / Statement banks can be setup in the system to allow quick data entry of common statements.

I recommend that my staff enter data into E-portal but copy and paste into work just in-case we have a problem or they loose the reports (or the other way as you describe). A key recommendation I make to my staff is enter no more than 3 reports and then submit. Don't do a whole set then submit as if you have lost the internet or had a problem in the mean time whilst writing your connection will have been closed and thus loose your reports you have entered.

As you have found, there is no undo button, so careful use is required, hence ensuring staff know what they are doing and given good guidance is very much key to the system.

You ask for "a decent user interface" the grid can be customised by your school to show / hide fields, custom grids created and used etc, its a powerful and customisable tool but requires your Data Manager (or equivalent person) to have high level skills & a full understanding of how it all works together and not be a glorified secretary style person (note I'm not suggesting in your school that is the case).

To get the most out of the Serco MIS my feeling, which is echoed by our Asst. Principal who deals with Data and Records, is that the person controlling the Data must have good skills, understanding how a database works, not scared of IT and testing, patience and have an understanding of SQL to ensure that they can check what's going on, search out data in the tables to check its existence and fully understand what is going on.

Anyone could setup assessments from the guide book (I did the other day in about 10 minutes from start to finish), but to give assessments that compare data automatically, change cell colours according to progress, put in statement banks, automatic fields - EG studentname etc all take a lot of time and need this high skill level.

5. Thanks to john from:

stoppaan (28th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way stoppaan, but sounds maybe like you need a bit more training on the data input into E-portal.
    I have not taken your advice the wrong way - ti is good advice. I need a bit of training. Only started using the system within last 12 months. I can also see the power of this MIS so am not looking to put it down in any way.

E-portal is designed for direct data entry into the database. Just click in the cell and type away, you don't have to copy and paste at all! Data can be entered straight into the fields in E-portal,
    Yes, I prefer this. However, because I have been on the train when writing reports, I have been putting the reports on my laptop first so cannot type directly onto ePortal. I will now do as you suggest here and write all reports only when I have access to EPortal.

I recommend that my staff enter data into E-portal but copy and paste into work just in-case we have a problem or they loose the reports (or the other way as you describe).
    I was submitting after every report but that did not prevent an entire column being overwritten. There is not an obvious solution to this unless it is the TAB issue that you refer to.

... Data Manager (or equivalent person) to have high level skills & a full understanding of how it all works together and not be a glorified secretary style person (note I'm not suggesting in your school that is the case).
    We are lucky to have a dedicated and skilled Data Manager. I will sit down with her asap to iron out any probs. I presume that I would not be able to enter comment bank, name fields etc myself?

Thank you for your advice - excellent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Be prepared, some things to iron out can only be done before the academic year has started so if they say they cannot do it until next September your data manager may well be right and not just trying to fob you off (I speak from experience in that requests for change come in October after we have started and thus cannot change some things that easily at all / without major problems).

Your Data Manager has to setup statement banks / Comment Banks etc as far as I know, I've not seen a way for the end user to do so at all. Serco now do a course for E-portal for Teachers, your Data Manager will have access to the training guide, perhaps they could print that off and leave a couple of copies in the Staff Room to help staff understand E-Portal better, its a new training course that only came into existance this academic year so some people may not know about it yet.

8. Thanks to john from:

stoppaan (8th December 2009)

Thank Post
    thank you John

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread