+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Print Preview Error in Technical; Hi Guys, I have recently started supporting a local primary school which uses SIMS as their MIS, the problem being ...
    Thank Post

SIMS Print Preview Error

Hi Guys,

I have recently started supporting a local primary school which uses SIMS as their MIS, the problem being that I don't have any experiance with it, the only MIS I have a vague experiance with is CMIS. So I am asking for help/guidance for fixing the following issue:-

Basically the user will log into SIMS, open up their markbook.
    Select Zoom
    Press Print and then Print Preview.

This then brings up an error.
    "2144-6090-5900
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object: System.NullReferenceException"

I have exported the XML of the error which reads:-
    Code:
    - <System.NullReferenceException Type="System.NullReferenceException">
      <FaultCode>2144-6090-5900</FaultCode> 
      <Message>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</Message> 
      <StackTrace>at SIMS.Processes.ExternalApplication.SetupExcel() at SIMS.Processes.ASMMarksheetDetail.ExportMarksheetForPreview(String strFileName, Boolean formatted, String supervisorName) at SIMS.Processes.ASMMarksheetDetail.PrintPreviewMarksheet(Boolean print, Boolean landScape) at SIMS.UserInterfaces.ASMDlgMarksheetPrint.buttonPrintPreview_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent) at NETXP.Controls.XPButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m) at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)</StackTrace> 
      <HelpLink /> 
      <Source>PerformanceBaseProcesses</Source> 
      </System.NullReferenceException>
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Thank Post
    Is excel or excel viewer installed on the computer?

Thank Post
    Office 2003 is installed on the computer yes, including Excel.

Thank Post
    have you tried a reinstall of SIMS? that usually works!

Thank Post
    I haven't tried reinstalling SIMS no, from subsequent reading it seems like that solves the majority of problems within the software.

Would it be best to uninstall and then install? Or is there a reinstall option that will work to fix the issue?
    Sorry for the n00b questions, as I say I am new to SIMS so am still learning. I'm tempted by the total uninstall though to be honest.

I will try that on Tuesday when I next visit the primary school and I will update you all with the progress.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    The error seems to point to Excel but you can never be sure!
    Are Macros enabled in Excel? It's probably not the issue, but usually best to allow Macros anyway.
    Can you print directly, if you don't preview?
    Which printer are you using? SIMS can be fussy.
    Is it set to default? It should be.
    Sometimes the printer driver can be a problem, PCL5 is better and safer.

You could try and just reinstall simsapplications using simsapplicationsetup.exe, but a full reinstall is always a good idea.

Uninstall simsinfrastructure from add/remove programs. Rename the Sims .Net folder in Program files and then run simsinst.exe

All the .exe files you need should be on the SIMS server, in a shared drive usually S, in a folder called setups. Mine are here S:\SIMS\Setups\

Let us know how your troubleshooting goes and feed back to the LA / Capita (whoever provides main/backup SIMS support), that way, once solved, the 'Search for Solution' button will yield an answer.

Oh yeah, and if you are new to supporting sims, you should join Capita SupportNet http://support.capitaes.co.uk/newlogin/login.asp
    Last edited by vikpaw; 1st December 2009 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Just having a go at fixing the problem now.

I have checked the printer driver and installed a PCL5 driver, the printer is set as default.

Enabled macros in Excel (it is actually Office XP not 2003 like I initially thought.)

I'm just going to reinstall SIMS now as these haven't resolved the issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @Spuddyboy:

It will need at least office version 2003 as it needs to interpret the xml files and push them out through excel.

I remember this as we had to do this about 2 years ago so that we could run reports and the like.

Thank Post
    Reinstalling SIMS sounds like a good move.

"Object reference not set to instance of an object" sounds like the Workstation is out of sync with the Server (has the SIMS Database been upgraded recently?).

You might get away with running these at the affected workstation from the setups folder:

SIMSApplicationSetup.exe
    SIMSManualSetup.exe
    SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe

Another thing to look at is the .net frameworks (have you got the latest ones) I have 3.0 + sp2 and 3.5 + sp 1 generally.

Also is SQLNativeClient installed? If none of the other things help stick it on...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread