+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Can't log off SIMS users in Technical; I was trying to apply the re-index patch to my SIMS server last night but it kept failing saying it ...

Thank Post

Can't log off SIMS users

I was trying to apply the re-index patch to my SIMS server last night but it kept failing saying it couldn't get exclusive access to the database. I had a quick peep at who was logged in, using Solus, and it told me mobile_access - the username used by SIMS Mobile. Try as I might, I couldn't kick the user out: I shut down SIMS mobile on the server on which it's installed (not the SIMS server), restarted SQL, etc, but just couldn't get mobile_access to log off. Consequently I couldn't perform the reindex at all (and, more importantly, was late to bed ).

I've had similar problems in the past with users who've left themselves logged onto SIMS over the weekend (gaaah!) when I need to do updates. I've rebooted their PCs (remotely of course), changed their passwords & logged into and out of SIMS as them, rebooted the SIMS server, etc, etc, but have never been able to get them out.

So the question is: how do I kick any/all users out of SIMS? With the old DOS version you could log in as System Manager, disable logins, and then boot everyone off. But how do you do this with the SQL version (preferably without resorting to a hammer & blowtorch)? Did someone forget to add this function? Or have I missed something?

Thank Post
    Are you running the full SQL product or the express version? Do you have all SQL tools installed? And are you supported by Capita or another company? (Not sure if the last question is relevant). I've written a short guide that may work for you, if you want it.

-ken

Thank Post
    Full SQL (2005), with tools. Support is via LEA. Would be grateful for a copy of your guide, thanks.

Thank Post
    In SQL Surface Area Configuration, select "Services & Connections". Navigate to the SIMS SQL Instance --> Database Engine --> Remote Connections on the left-hand pane. Switch to "Local connections only" on the right-hand pane. Then click on Service and Stop & then Start the service.

Do what you need to do with SIMS, then go the same route, but change it back to "Local and remote connections" then restart the instance service.

Means you have to be on the server (locally or via RDP) or course.

5. Thanks to Diello from:

timzim (11th November 2009)

Thank Post
    This worked perfectly, thanks.

Oddly, the System Info app in Solus told me that certain users were still logged onto SIMS. Pointless utility then...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh the solus info screen is usually totally wrong, it tells me we still have several users logged in that I know for a fact are logged off.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread