+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - email? in Technical; I can't find the 'teachers associated with ...' option either. But agree, it's much more convenient to email than send ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts

Lightbulb

I can't find the 'teachers associated with ...' option either.

But agree, it's much more convenient to email than send messages, as if they don't want to look there, don't have sims open, don't have the panel on the homepage (though you can force that now), it wont get to them quick enough.

Plus, if you want an audit trail, it's easier to use email. i think messaging is limited to a certain amount too, so after using it a lot, the inboxes will be full.

Anyway, i've been playing with reports for two weeks now trying to redesign the data collection form to include parental emails. So i've knocked a report up for you to do what you want. It seems it's a good idea and pretty useful for us too.

You should be able to import it and give it ago. It returns work email for all staff that teach filtered student. It can contain duplicates if for example the same teacher teaches them for different lessons, however Outlook filters them out.

I've used this method before and just copied the list straight into a distribution list in outlook, and it accepts them fine. It should work the same straight into the To box, as making lists is pointless as you have to keep updating them.

Let me know if it works, i've never shared a report before. [attached]

The best bit is, that if you don't want to run the report and do the filtering, you can from the student focus click on Reports on the links panel on the right and choose the report. It will automatically filter for that child and give you the spreadsheet.

I wonder if this is what Nick meant and there is a built in report already to do this...? i couldn't find one. so happy reporting
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Thanks to vikpaw from:

robins (1st December 2009)

Thank Post
    Dear all,

You should have in your list of roles 'Class Teacher' these are the teachers associated to the student. I accept this isn't intuative and I'll look into this.

Kind regards

Nick

Thank Post
    I don't have that role listed - what version was this added in? We are running Independent School Version 7.122

Thank Post
    Did a little digging and it seems the reason none of us can find it is that it was included in the release that came out yesterday (7.124)!

Capita Education Support Services

Digging through the release notes p16 says:
    "An additional option has been added when sending a message to filter by those teachers associated with the students today"

So I guess when this gets installed (which will probably be Christmas) we shall see if it will do what I need!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andykemp View Post
    I have been hunting around in SIMS for the last 30mins or so trying to find a way to 'message' or preferably email all the teachers of a particular student without having to look up their timetable and workout who each person is from their initials and the find their email address etc...
    I was surprised that SIMS can't do email, so when we started using it in September I put together some reports which throw out email addresses of people, with output set to Excel containing macros which create a pre-addressed email in Outlook.

E.g. we have email "teachers of given student", run report from student details page or enter name when run from reports, Excel appears with list of addresses, starts Outlook with "To" box filled in Excel then disappears

and "email students in given" class etc.

A bit cumbersome as it involves the Excel stage between SIMS and Outlook, wouldn't it be nice if SIMS could run the output of a report into an arbitrary application/script?

Obviously no good without Excel/Outlook/email addresses/(Exchange) server etc.

tim

7. 2 Thanks to TimH:

Damian (1st December 2009), Hayleywow (7th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    That reports even better than mine. Macro sounds really good.
    Please share...

Thank Post
    Yes you can do this in SIMs
    Select the students then on the right hand side under links click “Send Message”
    In the “Recipient” section click “Add” then you can add the teachers you want to send the message to. Followed this by typing your message in the message field click send .
    That’s it simple

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smiths75 View Post
    Yes you can do this in SIMs
    Select the students then on the right hand side under links click “Send Message”
    In the “Recipient” section click “Add” then you can add the teachers you want to send the message to. Followed this by typing your message in the message field click send .
    That’s it simple
    I think the OP wanted SIMS to identify and select the teachers related to a child, rather than have to hunt for which ten teachers out of 120 teach a given student!

There is a way to do this, although it isn't quite doing what I'd expect (might be our system, we're still looking here), which is the "Class Teacher" role selector in the search box. For some reason, it's only showing some of the teachers for a given student on our site at the moment. But it's good in principle!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I was surprised that SIMS can't do email, so when we started using it in September I put together some reports which throw out email addresses of people, with output set to Excel containing macros which create a pre-addressed email in Outlook.

E.g. we have email "teachers of given student", run report from student details page or enter name when run from reports, Excel appears with list of addresses, starts Outlook with "To" box filled in Excel then disappears

and "email students in given" class etc.

A bit cumbersome as it involves the Excel stage between SIMS and Outlook, wouldn't it be nice if SIMS could run the output of a report into an arbitrary application/script?

Obviously no good without Excel/Outlook/email addresses/(Exchange) server etc.

tim
    That sounds just like something were looking for. Any chance of a copy?

Thank Post
    I think I might be inclined to go the report route as well - the next feature in SIMS will only pick up teachers the student has *today*, so isn't so good for a round-robin type message. It sounds like this is how it's staying too. :-(

Thank Post
    TimH, that sounds great - please could we have a copy?

Thank Post
    I have Schoolcomms integrated with SIMS so its possible to send real emails and texts - if a little cumbersome. However they've just sent me a link to their beta web version which is a bit nicer than the app but I await to see whether it will be functionally better or just aesthetic. The big advantage is Schoolcomms picks up all members of groups, eg Reg, club, subject, admissions, staff, home language, etc.
    Capita say they have some level of integration with Exchange in the pipline. Hopefully this will create a more dynamic way to keep distribution lists of SIMS contacts inc groups of contacts up to date. Hopefully this will allow SIMS functions like missing register report to break out to real email. Hopefully this will link NT6 timetables to populate teacher calendars etc.
    In the mean time exporting a report of contacts emails from SIMS into Outlook is handy.

Thank Post
    And a massive Plus with Schoolcomms is it's direct link into First Day Absence!

Thank Post
    If you select Class Teacher from the drop-down list you will see all the teachers of classes associated with that student.

(Should have asked me first, Andy! - only joking, it's an interesting thread and very relevant)

I agree that emailing would be preferable. SchoolComms is imminent here and may be a future solution to that one.

Terry

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    If you select Class Teacher from the drop-down list you will see all the teachers of classes associated with that student.

(Should have asked me first, Andy! - only joking, it's an interesting thread and very relevant)

I agree that emailing would be preferable. SchoolComms is imminent here and may be a future solution to that one.

Terry
    I'm only seeing 3-5 teachers per student on this feature - our LA tells me the design is to show teachers that student has *today*, not all of their teachers.

Is it working differently for you then? Which SIMS build and database build do you have there?

Matt

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast