+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - fire registers in Technical; Hi All, Is there a way to automate printing fire registers in SIMS? Normally I could schedule a report and ...
    Thank Post

SIMS - fire registers

Hi All,

Is there a way to automate printing fire registers in SIMS? Normally I could schedule a report and print it but cannot find the same report as available in lesson monitor

Thanks

Thank Post
    Would you want this linked to a heat sensor or a smoke censor, or both!

Seriously though - I have been trying to work out how to do it as well. So far I have also failed!

Thank Post
    A related question but not just for SIMS but all MIS systems - what facility is there, especially in a large High School, to know which members of staff are present ? - we have a visitors book , but only a card system on the wall for staff which not every one uses !!

Thank Post
    We have a signing out book for all staff for if they leave the site during their normal hours. We have a list of Hours for those that do not work a 'normal day'. The Cover Manager has the overall view of those off sick.

Very unweildy but it does cover most scenarios.

We are trying to produce a better system at this moment in time but it ain't easy!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    Proximity badges linked to database on server, as they enter the building they are marked in and as they leave the building they are marked out.

Nice web front end so can be given to remote access outside in case of evacuation.

Only thing is it relies on the teaching staff remembering to wear them.

6. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (5th November 2009)

Thank Post
    hi bossman, what do you use to do this with e.g. what software/hardware

i am very interested!!!!!

matt

Thank Post
    @mattstevenson2005:

Apologies Matt but thought it was an ideas post by Oops_my_bad so was just coming up with the idea which in theory should work very similar to our biometrics dinner system but with proximity badges.

Cisco have something similar working in American hospitals but also allows video conferencing also, so that surgeons can communicate whilst operating to help each other out, fascinating stuff.

Just my imagination running wild did not mean to mislead.

Thank Post
    @mattstevenson2005:

http://www.rfideas.com/downloads/RFI...fCHospital.pdf

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/globa.../pr_03-09.html

Have a look about I am sure there will be lots out there but deciding which one to go with will be the pita.
    Last edited by bossman; 5th November 2009 at 03:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    We don't print until the admin assistant in charge is happy all registers are in, and any updates that need doing are made, including the usual 10 mins late crew. Then it's a favorite report, ready to print.

Until then, the backup sheets would be used in case of emergency.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Then it's a favorite report, ready to print.
    Thanks vikpaw - could I ask which report you use for this?

Thank Post
    Code:
    Reports | Lesson Monitor | Whole Group Pupil Reports | Today's Register Report
    It runs with no parameters and goes straight to a web page with page breaks by form. It shows all registers done for the day. We only need the Upper School ones, Primary still use book registers! So we just print the first 34 pages (onto scrap of course).

To make it quick, i have the side shortcuts panel still active with a custom panel of selected links down the left. The report is added to that, so that it's one click away whilst SIMS is open.

I'm sure with a bit of fiddling around to see what the system is doing it could be automated, perhaps with something like WinBatch or Auto-IT, but like i said, it's not too much bother for the person responsible for signing in lates to just hit print at 8.15.

13. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Oops_my_bad (15th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How about running the report through commandreporter.exe on your sims server and scheduling the batch file through Windows Task scheduler - you could even get it to print for you too...

Thank Post
    The issue of fire procedures comes up every so often. This is a tricky area as electronic devices can't be used in the rain and can't be seen in the sun. Paper lists are out of date before the ink is dry.

The fire service will tell you that lists are not relevant as they will search the buildings what ever the list says. Children also disappear from school and just because a child was registered last lesson doesn't mean that they are there now.

I don't think there is a good answer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwitts View Post
    How about running the report through commandreporter.exe on your sims server and scheduling the batch file through Windows Task scheduler - you could even get it to print for you too...
    As the required time varies it's just as easy to do manually. The favorite reports panel on the homepage now makes it easier than when i last posted on the subject in this thread.
    EDIT: I was confused the report wont appear on homepage panel so the previously described method of adding an internal link is still the quickest way to get the report to print. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    The issue of fire procedures comes up every so often. This is a tricky area as electronic devices can't be used in the rain and can't be seen in the sun. Paper lists are out of date before the ink is dry.

The fire service will tell you that lists are not relevant as they will search the buildings what ever the list says. Children also disappear from school and just because a child was registered last lesson doesn't mean that they are there now.

I don't think there is a good answer.
    There's always big debate on this one, it's been on these forums many times : Firedrill with SIMS

Ultimately, lets face it, the purpose of the fire register is purely to make management happy and feel like they are 'prepared' and 'doing the right thing', they will only ever be used during a drill!

In a real fire situation everyone will panic, registers wont be accurate or up to date, people (students, staff and guests) wont be where they are supposed to be, and the real services will hopefully do as Phil said and search the building as they should.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 16th February 2010 at 06:03 AM. Reason: mistakenly made a false claim

Thank Post
    We have a large site, we also share a campus with another school. This includes some building that are used by both schools. We also share a sixth form meaning some of the other school's students are in our lessons and visa versa.

We don't use registers at all, we instead have a system where designated people check various areas and report them as clear.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast