+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - fire registers in Technical; Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc We have a large site, we also share a campus with another school. This includes some ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    We have a large site, we also share a campus with another school. This includes some building that are used by both schools. We also share a sixth form meaning some of the other school's students are in our lessons and visa versa.

We don't use registers at all, we instead have a system where designated people check various areas and report them as clear.
    That's such a good idea. I used to be at a split site school, the current one has 3 buildings plus an admin building.

So much better to have a solution that addresses the issue rather than chasing the unreachable goal of having perfect registers ready before you need them.

just out of curiosity, how many schools have sprinkler systems? I know the fire bell is not just for fires, but i mean in theory, that's more likely than terrorist attack / other danger, at least for you guys anyway!

We have 2 drills here, one for evacuate the building, and another for Lock-In: stay in and secure the room, lock the doors, hide under the tables. [I kid you not]. Imagine the problems we have when people can't tell the difference between the oh-so similar but slightly different bells! ARGH!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    We have 2 drills here, one for evacuate the building, and another for Lock-In: stay in and secure the room, lock the doors, hide under the tables. [I kid you not]. Imagine the problems we have when people can't tell the difference between the oh-so similar but slightly different bells! ARGH!
    Blimey,

We have a second warning which is stay where you are and wait for instructions, or if it happens at break return to your home room.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The school I attended only had one sound for the normal bell, fire alarm and lockdown alarm. So you just waited around till a teacher same screaming down the hallways or outside areas if it wasn't in class.

Thank Post
    I'm going suggest we hire this bunch.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZqiFhl377o&feature=related"]YouTube- Stairway To Heaven - Bells[/ame]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    The school I attended only had one sound for the normal bell, fire alarm and lockdown alarm. So you just waited around till a teacher same screaming down the hallways or outside areas if it wasn't in class.
    LOL!
    Well i checked with the Business Manager and during lock-in everyone goes to the nearest lockable room with tables (for hiding under!) clearly no roll can be called so afterwards, there should technically be a fire drill, or return to form room followed by roll-call. I don't see that happening.

What's worse is that my office is really just a desk in a corridor near a fire exit, the most unsafe place to be in a lock-in. The last lock-in practise, my nearest neighbour with an office locked herself in the room and wouldn't let me in in case i was a terrorist!!

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post

Ultimately, lets face it, the purpose of the fire register is purely to make management happy and feel like they are 'prepared' and 'doing the right thing', they will only ever be used during a drill!

In a real fire situation everyone will panic, registers wont be accurate or up to date, people (students, staff and guests) wont be where they are supposed to be, and the real services will hopefully do as Phil said and search the building as they should.
    I totally agree. If there was a foolproof or even prefered procedure, it would be publicised nationwide. The fact that it isn't shows that it should be left to the professionals to do what they do best. The chances of the odd, unfortunate 'wandering' pupil being where the fire is would be a chance in a million.

Anyone going back in without proper equipment would most likely be increasing the casualty count and adding to the work of the fire brigade. Having been in a smoke/fume filled room I can assure you that you will not be thinking clearly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12