+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Renaming SIMS server in Technical; Hi there, First I would like to say that I'm new, so please forgive me if I have posted this ...

Thank Post

Renaming SIMS server

Hi there,

First I would like to say that I'm new, so please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place.

For last few days I'm trying to find someone who has renamed SIMS server and what problems he has faced.

The only post I've found was:
    Rename SIMS server - on Edugeek (unfortunatelly I couldn't provide the link due to my first post limitation)
    but couldn't get information needed.

I've recently changed SIMS server name.
    After updating .ini config files, registry + changing server name for Document Server within setup in SIMS it seemed to be working correctly. I could log on to the SIMS and FMS without problems.
    I could backup databases.

However when I wanted to setup b2b tasks, they appeared with old server name.
    In the link above someone mention that server name is hold somewhere in the master database, however I could'nt figure it out whether this is true or where exactly.

If anyone has any information about where to change all the settings so the old server name won't appear in the b2b task or any other places I will be very grateful.

If someone has experience renaming the SIMS server please also let me know.

I've also experienced Sims Login failed reason 6 when try to use SOLUS, but I don't know how related are those things.

I really would like to avoid renaming it back to the old name and looking for the solution to keep the new one.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Thank Post
    Here is the link I was reffering to:

Rename SIMS server

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    I've renamed virtual servers with no problems so long as the processes for changing .ini and doc server are carried out.

I've posted in the other thread regarding document storage.

As for your B2B problem, i don't use it here, so not sure what the solution would be.

What registry changes are you making? i don't make any, but i'm used to essentially creating a new server from scratch and then copying the databases over. much less chance of some remnant from the old name causing problems. especially with services and such like.

actually does B2B have a related service...?

Are you running Solus from the server or your machine? i take it your machine works with SIMs talking to the new server okay? and your connect.ini and sims.ini are sorted.

KB73419 on SupportNet has solutions for reason 6, maybe try detach and reattach db using dbattach tool as it suggests.

Thank Post
    First thanks for your reply.

Document storage is configured correctly, as I've checked it using dmconfig.

I've changed HKLM\Software\SIMS\OLDSERVERNAME to NEWSERVERNAME in registry because FMS was not letting to log on (however detaching and re-attaching the database did the same for me)

I can't really create server from scratch as I want to use the same one and don't want to reinstall other bits.

I was running Solus from the server. Re-attaching the database didn't solve the problem.
    I am able to login to FMS and SIMS from the workstation fine.
    FMSconnect.ini connect.ini and sims.ini are ok.

The key thing is for me to have this B2B sorted as it send files on daily or weekly basis.
    I dont think it use any additional services.

Any suggestions of where SIMS may still store the old server name will be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Normally happens when you didn't untick the box on the old server to remove the b2b task, I suppose you could try unticking it then reticking it. If that didn't work, you COULD untick and create another new task, not sure if you could just edit the scheduled task (within Windows). Ideally, contact your LA, they have a batch to change it.

Thank Post
    What is B2B anyway? Don't think we use it in our LEA but just wanted to make sure...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    B2B used to mean 'Business to Business', usually the communication system / commercial transactions between suppliers, distributors etc, rather than to end users and buyers.

I believe it means the same here, only it's referring to the transfer of data from schools to LAs. I guess this is so they can take the attendance data, which i think at my last school in the UK was going twice a day. Maybe even the workforce return type data...?

@gresso - i'm out of ideas on fixing the issue. Have you tried Matt40k's suggestion. Does the LA / people at the other end need to know you've changed the server name, it could affect the communication link?

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Oops_my_bad (29th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all replies guys. I owned you some update on this.

First when I've renamed the server I didn't think about unticking B2B.
    When I've deleted two tasks from Scheduled Task, the box was still ticked in B2B.

When I was trying to untick and tick again, the save button was greyed out as the system knew that I didn't make any changes. So I put space at the end of the task name to have save button enabled.
    After I saved it, two new task have appeared in the scheduled tasks, however when I was trying to open them I got initialization error, so couldn't edit them. I noticed that it still creates the task with old server name, so thought that this is why I got the task initialization error.

The solution to prevent this error in Scheduled Task from happening, was that I should untick the box in the SIMS then save it, then tick it again, and then save it again. Very simple, but cost me so much hassle. I have no idea why I didn't think of this in first place.
    This way I was able to edit both B2B tasks, which were STILL having old server name, and put new server name into it.
    I noticed then, that files have been successfully generated, however I was still having problem with File Posting: Failed status in the B2B log, but this was due to the proxy setting change. After removing proxy from configuration Files have been successfully posted.

One problem still exist: running solus to check the updates still gives me login error reason 6, even after detaching and restoring database and regardless of proxy settings.

Conclusion:

My original question is still valid where SIMS keeps the server name for those scheduled tasks (maybe this is only within SIMS tasks, however I don't know how to edit them within SIMS)?
    Even If I could correct this old server name in tasks within SIMS, I would still have to do this ticking and unticking, to solve the problem.

I think very important thing is fact that modifying server name in b2b windows task is SAFE and will do the job.
    Last edited by gresso; 8th November 2009 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    What user are you using to log into SOLUS as? Can you try logging into SIMS as that user first, then try SOLUS again.

No idea where it "stores" the name, it'll be in the database, so no-no to "manually" changing it in SQL.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    What user are you using to log into SOLUS as? Can you try logging into SIMS as that user first, then try SOLUS again.

No idea where it "stores" the name, it'll be in the database, so no-no to "manually" changing it in SQL.
    Good point!

For some reasons I was trying to log in to solus using SA account.

Once you mentioned it I realized it.

I'm sure i was trying different account, but it was when I had other problem that was causing login failure.

Thank you so much.

PS. I spoke to Capita support, about where it stores the server name when creating b2b task, but he doesn't know, even that he came across it before.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread