+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS on iPod in Technical; Originally Posted by john That would have good use takeup from all the parents on Facebook they could share there ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    That would have good use takeup from all the parents on Facebook they could share there kids stats via there FB page
    Like it - the register could update an absentee's facebook page "Little Johnny is ... playing truant" :-)

Thank Post
    It's nice, but giving ipod touches to staff would be a nightmare :P They'd want to use them to listen to music, install a ton of fart apps and generally use them for anything but SIMS....

Apple don't offer anyway of totally locking them down do they?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    It's nice, but giving ipod touches to staff would be a nightmare :P They'd want to use them to listen to music, install a ton of fart apps and generally use them for anything but SIMS....

Apple don't offer anyway of totally locking them down do they?
    you can enter a pin code in and you wont be allowed to use it unless you enter in the pin code LOL

That would defeat the object of locking it down though - I think you can get an app or something to manage what apps go onto them but not sure how or w/e

Wasn't sims on windows enough lol

agree with making it a web app and then you can access it through any device that has a connection and is able to access that page(s)

Thank Post
    Maybe iPhone support is more of a marketing ploy / USP: think how popular SIMS can sometimes be in this forum, and think how "cool" an iPhone app could seem. Maybe it's about that?

Thank Post
    Well it's good to see so much interest but this isn't about marketing it is about trying to produce applications that teachers want to use. I've been to a few schools now and spoken to a lot of heads that are excited about the prospect of using mobile devices in schools. HTML is OK for an average application but specific apps for Android or Apple are special.

Thank Post
    Fair enough Phil - it wasn't meant as cynically as it probably sounded!

Mobile provision would be a serious improvement, especially for things like taking registers. I love my iPhone and the apps, but I can't help thinking that there must be cheaper mobile devices out there for deployment of this kind of thing though.

I'm guessing it's not hard to have a flagship prettied-up version though, especially if it's a webapp type thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,499 Times in 1,940 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Well it's good to see so much interest but this isn't about marketing it is about trying to produce applications that teachers want to use. I've been to a few schools now and spoken to a lot of heads that are excited about the prospect of using mobile devices in schools. HTML is OK for an average application but specific apps for Android or Apple are special.
    XML + XSLT + AJAX can produce a rich application for mobile devices now. Android utilises the chrome engine, iphones utilise the webkit engine, Windows Mobile utilises IE6 Mobile which has support for AJAX, Symbian has various - Opera Mobile for example.

Thank Post
    LocalUK agreed and Matt no problem!

Thank Post

SIMS.Net on iPhone and iPOD iTouch

Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    We've been told in school today by an HMI inspector who was at a meeting last week (or the beginning of this week) with Capita that there is to be a SIMS module for the iPhone. Apparently this is in development.

I've just read a post by Russ which outlines discussion from Capita (cannot remember his name on here - is it Phil?) about the vision of using iPods/iPhones - apparently it is happening.

I have no other information about it - just saying. I wouldn't mind testing it with our SIMS.

GJE
    You may find what you are looking for at "www.TeachersWebFolder,com" - Teacher's Web Folder

Yes?

Has anyone had any experience of it??

Thank Post
    Why don't Capita sort out some of the annoyances in SIMS.net, like having to add users to groups 1 by 1 as opposed to adding multiple group membership to the user account like in Active Directory! And a proper silent deployment with easy and less annoying automated updates, instead of doing something that would be considered by most as vastly unnecessary! SIMS on an iPod? Why? Just why?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    Why don't Capita sort out some of the annoyances in SIMS.net, like having to add users to groups 1 by 1 as opposed to adding multiple group membership to the user account like in Active Directory! And a proper silent deployment with easy and less annoying automated updates, instead of doing something that would be considered by most as vastly unnecessary! SIMS on an iPod? Why? Just why?
    I did not mean to unleash any frustrations or anger here ....

Just on two points:

Zoom7000: "SIMS on an iPod? Why? Just why? "

1. For PE Teachers. See many postings on trying to get PE teachers to take registers on smart-phones and others. This claims 'zero client installation'!

2. Accessing SIMS.Net via web browser on laptops/PCs/iMACs for teachers: This is also discussed in many thread how browser is a 'must' for low cost of ownership and above all rolling out client side installation.

It will be also intersting to see how well it will work on netbooks.

Thank Post
    If you have somthing like the SIMS Learning Gateway this should work without a specifc application on certain phones as its web based.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12