+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Short Date format in Technical; HI I am installing Sims onto a win 7 machine (I know its not supported by Capita yet) and even ...

Thank Post

Short Date format

HI
    I am installing Sims onto a win 7 machine (I know its not supported by Capita yet) and even though the short date format is set to dd/MM/yyyy and the time is set to HH:mm:ss I get 2 error messages when trying to install sims saying the short date is M/d/yyyy and the time is h:mm:ss AMPM
    I have checked all formats and regional settings and they are all correct and united Kingdom.
    I successfully installed sims on the win 7 RC and I have seen this fault on vista but cant for the life of me remember what we did to resolve it. I have searched the forums and capita support and googled but have been unable to find any reference to this error.

Help!!

EDIT
    Problem solved - even though everything was showing crrectly I reset the time and date using the reset to default settins in advanced regional settings and although nothing appeared to change the install is now running!
    Last edited by nwblue; 23rd October 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: problem resolved

2. 3 Thanks to nwblue:

AlexB (19th November 2009), E_S_P (30th November 2009), projector1 (14th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Set the date/time format to something else, then set it back to the correct ones again. This usually solves the issue for us in XP.

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

nwblue (23rd October 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks, the reset to defaults, worked here too. However, I got stuck at the next stage... We run SIMS off Z:\ instead of S:\ but it won't let me set the shared Sims application folder to Z:\Sims manually and it doesn't show any of the network drives when I use browse... Any thoughts?

Cheers

I think this may be because the administrative install doesn't have the drives maps, doing a full network path install atm, seems to be working...
    Last edited by AlexB; 19th November 2009 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi
    We have had this on Vista and Win 7 and logging on as domain admin (not best practice I know but runas doesnt work either) to install SIMS seems to work, once the install is completed there are no more issues.
    It seems completely random as to whether we have to do this or whether the install runs under our usual login.
    HTH

Thank Post
    I've just installed it on Windows 7 but I'm just trying to get it to run.

I'm logged in as domain admin with local admin rights to workstation.

At first it had the date error but after I reset that to defaults and tried again it ran the installation.

Regarding the redirecting to the relevant drive that your sims is installed on, If you're installing via simsinst then click on settings and change the 's:\sims' to the full network address of your sims install eg '\\yourserver\simshare\sims' and that should solve your issues of not being able to point sims to your server install.

After installing it I copied the upto date sims ini into the windows directory then attempted to launch sims.net, it asked where the connect.ini file was so I pointed it to I:\sims and clicked ok. then it just shows the normal desktop and nothing happens, no login screen or error message. I've tried putting in the full network path to the connect.ini file but had the same results.

How frustrating. I'll have a play and keep you updated, meanwhile I might just install it in XP mode until I can get it running correctly through Windows 7.

Regards
    Dan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm trying to remember what we done here, had it running on 7 for a while now without any problems (except SM doesn't work!).

Thank Post
    Ok, I've now got it working on Windows 7, All I did was run all updates on my Win 7 workstation, make sure sims was up to date and then when it ask for the connect ini file, I went to the location by typing in the full network path and then just double clicked on the connect.ini file and hey presto!

:-)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread