+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims running very slow in Technical; We have noticed since our data manager added all of the front page panels such as assesment data etc that ...

Thank Post

Sims running very slow

We have noticed since our data manager added all of the front page panels such as assesment data etc that the sims has become very slow.

We use SQL Express unfortunatly and the cpu usage now when there are about 70+ users on the system runs at 100% all day.

Taking the panels off seems to resolve the issue as does reducing the number of users on the system.

We are looking to upgrade the server to full SQL over the half term as it is a quad core with 4Gb so might as well get some software that can use the servers power.

In the mean time does anyone know how to globally reduce the refresh rate of these apps on the front page to at least reduce the CPU load.

Our Edit team isnt sure and we dont really want to have to log back into everyones users profiles and take off the panels only to have to put them back on in 2 weeks.

Thank Post
    Check Support net:- KB86810 - Homepage refresh times and rates

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I suspect the reason your CPU is at 100% is because SQL Express supports upto 1GB of memory, whereas normal SQL supports upto 4GB. I suspect the CPU is having to keep swapping information using up all your resources. There are big discounts to be had on SQL Server in Education, so I see little reason not to take advantage of that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,400 Times in 1,160 Posts
    It's not much of a workaround, however:

i have lots of panels on my homepage and it's tremendously slow. Our server is supremely powerful, however it's my PC itself that runs slowly.

so, what i do is to turn my homepage off. it's 2 clicks away if you need it (in fact it can probably be made a shortcut and so only 1 click away), and has the added benefit that when you load it, it will update all panels and so be up-to-date. this actually speeds things up, so perhaps you could tell your users to turn it off. - i know, it's a pain expecting users to turn it on and off, but if you tell them it will speed their system up they might comply.

this way, you don't need to remove the panels and they can be set up ready to go, just not active. it's worth a try until you get a longer term fix.

Thank Post
    Are you using lesion monitor as well, we found after applying update to 7.122 our server went to 50-100% CPU whenever anyone was logged on. Our LEA applied patch 13436 (not sure what it was nor can I see it on support net) but that sorted our problems

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wardsidjame View Post
    We have noticed since our data manager added all of the front page panels such as assesment data etc that the sims has become very slow.

We use SQL Express unfortunatly and the cpu usage now when there are about 70+ users on the system runs at 100% all day.

Taking the panels off seems to resolve the issue as does reducing the number of users on the system.

We are looking to upgrade the server to full SQL over the half term as it is a quad core with 4Gb so might as well get some software that can use the servers power.

In the mean time does anyone know how to globally reduce the refresh rate of these apps on the front page to at least reduce the CPU load.

Our Edit team isnt sure and we dont really want to have to log back into everyones users profiles and take off the panels only to have to put them back on in 2 weeks.
    Not sure how to change the refresh rate globally but you can change which panels people see globally so it would be straightforward to turn off panels for all users (and back on again) centrally so you wouldn't need to login to everyones profiles.

Thank Post
    CApita have also advised of a Routine that will Archive attendance marks for previous years. They will still be reportable but not editable. Reports are that this can speed up the system as and reporting / SQL access ignores these marks or something techy like that

Tools | housekeeping | Archive Attendance MArks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Not sure how to change the refresh rate globally .......
    I am sure I referred to exactly that above .............
    Mind you - some of them are user defined and not globally defined.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 19th October 2009 at 02:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread