+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Assessing Pupils' Progress (APP) and Online Reporting in Technical; hmm nothing - I think. I appear to be posting in the wrong thread.....
    Thank Post
    hmm nothing - I think.

I appear to be posting in the wrong thread..

Thank Post
    Don't worry about it - some of the other posts were sufficiently off the mark that I was starting to think it was anything goes in this one anyway!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    Ok, slight thread hijack here: is anyone recording APP assessment focus data in SIMS? How awkward has it been to do it and has it brought any benefits?
    Recording APP in SIMS would be very straight forward but for one technical issue. If you created a an aspect what with a custom grade set the grade set could allow a teacher to enter 4.1 or 5.3 etc these would correspond to app statement held in the grade set description for each value the current draw back is the description is only 100 characters and the APP statement are anywhere from 70 to 150/200.

You could then include the grade description in an individual report instead of the grade 6.1 etc.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSoFast View Post
    <RANT>

Example #2:

Online Reporting (in place for September 2010 please) requires parents to have access to progress/attainment, attendance and behaviour information. In Eportal we have Lesson by Lesson, we have Behaviour Events, but the best we can do with assessment is a grade or level. We would like therefore to record more detail about individual assessments (i.e. some free text) and do away with annual reports. Unfortunately, as far as I can see both Serco and Capita still see reports to parents as a piece of prose written termly or once a year. The last Serco rep I spoke to recommended Markbook, but I can't see how that lets us enter text (e.g. a next step).

Thinking even further ahead, shouldn't teachers be able to specify an activity online or on the VLE as a next step? That would just need a field which allowed hyperlinks...

I suppose the frustrating thing is that we shouldn't be suggesting developments - we should be wowed by what the companies themselves come up with! Isn't that meant to be the point of a competitive industry? Clever solutions to problems? I can't believe high level meetings don't take place between the companies and civil servants/ministers to let them know what schools are going to need to implement.

Any schools with the answers (or indeed reps from the MIS firms telling me I've got it wrong) please reply...

</RANT>
    There have been many changes to the becta requirements for 2010, the main one being the use of real-time reporting being dropped and a move to parental engagement through online reporting

The requirements are currently

Quote Originally Posted by Becta

Secondary schools are expected to make the following information available to parents through secure online access by September 2010:
    * Attendance and behaviour (both positive and challenging)
    * Progress and attainment
    * Special needs
    Is it up to schools on how to implement it and in what context. As if you uploaded a pdf of a pupils paper report and make it available to parents through a secure login you would have met the 2010 requirement.

I am looking to add features to moodle to allow the above information to be displayed in a context so it is easier for parents to understand.

Thank Post
    I was thinking more in terms of having an aspect for each assessment focus (a numeric score, not the actual grade descriptor) and calculating the overall level from that. It seems the most popular method in APP software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    There have been many changes to the becta requirements for 2010, the main one being the use of real-time reporting being dropped .......
    I don't suppose you could give me a link to a document stating this, please?

We are looking to implement our own setup and want to be 100% about the requirements, which even the LA don't seem to be sure about.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I think they've re-defined "real-time". Previously it was live, but only SIMS would be able to offer this with SLG, for SIMS users (currently). I believe the school can define what "real-time" is, most VLEs you run a program to pull the data into itself, a snapshot, the school defines when this happens. SLG links straight into SIMS.

So one school may decide that updating overnight each day is "real-time" where as another might decided that it must be up the the min. Ofcourse it'll come with a nice £££ tag for up to min.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klawd View Post
    I don't suppose you could give me a link to a document stating this, please?

We are looking to implement our own setup and want to be 100% about the requirements, which even the LA don't seem to be sure about.

Thanks
    Here is one place Becta Emerging Technologies - Online reporting briefings

Thank Post
    APP Tracking Grids for AM7 in SIMS will, hopefully, be with us by the Spring Release. See the Roadmap!
    They won't be lablled as APP tho' just in case that 'name' is removed by the coalition! It's all double guessing at the moment.
    The same applies to online reporting. My best guess is that it will be supported by the coalition but not enforced and so the 'real-time' issue will disappear anyway!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 4th November 2010 at 02:58 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12