+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims.net - Reporting on Achievement and Behaviour in Technical; Hi all, We've recently startde using quite heavily the achievement and behaviour side of Sims.net and the staff are finding ...

Thank Post

Sims.net - Reporting on Achievement and Behaviour

Hi all,

We've recently startde using quite heavily the achievement and behaviour side of Sims.net and the staff are finding it relatively easy. The one area I could do with some assistance on is the reporting side.

Just to give you one example, our house/college leaders in school want to be able to run a report on their particular house/college at the end of a week/half term/term giving them a total of the number of behaviour points issued (obviously this can then be replicated to allow form tutors to do something similar).

Has anyone been able to get Sims to do this?

Any help anyone can provide would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Iain

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reporting is a pretty complex tool and personally, I'd check with your LA for training sessions. I attended one for free and it made a huge difference.

I had a peek in our own install here and found House under Student Focus but no Behaviour points option.

3. Thanks to CAM from:

Iain.Faulkner (7th October 2009)

Thank Post
    As CAM has said, I would look to your LA or whowever provides support for your SIMS system to see if they are running any reporting courses.

There are a lot of pre-defined reports within SIMS and a lot can be tweaked or created from scratch - pretty much all of the data held can be reporting on in some form or another.

5. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

Thank Post
    If you register here

SupportNet

there is a load of documentation on basic report writing. The report writer is simple to use for basic reporting but can be a bit tricky for more complex reports.

Personally I sat down with the books and got going easily enough and have just picked stuff up as I've gone along. IMHO the Capita courses are expensive and too slow.

I've attached the basic reporting guide from Support Net for you to have a look at.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Thanks to jcollings from:

Thank Post
    And have a look at some of the Reports that some of us have uploaded to the File Sharing part of SupportNet.
    They may need editing to your taste and may even not work first time if you do not have the same fields set up, but Reporting in SIMS is highly configurable by an experienced user.

9. Thanks to Sivadam from:

Thank Post
    I have done this using an Analysis report. I will email the details if you require.

11. Thanks to Ecalpemos2000 from:

Iain.Faulkner (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Iain
    Ya should find reports you are looking for under:

Reports/Run Report/Focus/Student/Achievement* and Behaviour* ....and set filters to house/college etc... where necessary.

If not, then give your SIMS support team a call and ask them where/how etc...
    Last edited by garoc; 13th November 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Thank Post
    I have a report which prints a list of achievements to copy & paste into our weekly newsletter and others which print nice looking certificates via MS word RTFs (real time savers as we give out about a hundred certificates a week). Main bore with both is that date ranges have to be set on report filters every week - there is no dynamic concept of 'this week' or 'today' for date filters in SIMS (that I know of). Similarly it would be useful if staff could track a history of acheivements/behaviours records authored/attributed to them - similarly a filter can't be set based on who is logged into SIMS.
    The views on screen for this info are available per child, per incident(inc type and activity type) etc but not per teacher. A 'my achievements' view would help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    @robins - Have you checked if all of these points are logged as change requests on SupportNet? If not you should log them.

Thank Post
    Apparently they are known limitations of the existing report builder. I look forward to the SQL reporting engine expected soon - presumably less usable but more powerful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robins View Post
    Apparently they are known limitations of the existing report builder. I look forward to the SQL reporting engine expected soon - presumably less usable but more powerful.
    Madness!! Since the lesson monitor reports and panels in the widget have options for events 'this week' or 'last 2 weeks'. i guess adding that in for us to use is not worth their time/effort if they are concentrating on the new stuff.

ADDITION: you could prob' write your own report to filter by staff, but they would have to at the least enter their initials or name.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 18th November 2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: addition

17. Thanks to vikpaw from:

robins (1st December 2009)

Thank Post

Reports on behaviour

Dear all,

We do intend to work on the behaviour reports next year, at the moment we are collating requirments, to ensure that we meet as many of your needs as possible.

We will look at creating a consultation group early in the new year.

Kind regards

Nick

19. 3 Thanks to Nickfinn1974:

Iain.Faulkner (18th November 2009), robins (18th November 2009), Sivadam (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for all your replies to this,

I have signed up to supportnet but haven't been able to pull off the kind of reports we're looking for. Similarly I have spoken directly to capita and they have taken me through what they can.

I'm now pushing to attend the sims reporting courses however when I mentioned it at first the response was [rant] "why do IT need to go on the reporting course? Only the admin staff need to know how to do that"...well if that's the case why are you bothering me to create reports for you!!! [/rant]

Thank Post
    I may well be at this as well, Iain.
    Hope to see you there!

I'd be interested in knowing who you actually spoke to - please don't post the name here tho'! I have have found every member of Capita Staff to be coureous, polite, pleasant etc etc
    Last edited by Sivadam; 18th November 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Thank Post
    hi Sivadam,

Apologies if my post read badly. The people at Capita were extremely helpful and polite, my rant was at the staff at our school who couldn't work out why I would need training on reporting.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast