+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, set up a new sims server in Technical; Hello everyone. im new here im just wondering if you could help. been thrown in at the deep end a ...

Thank Post

set up a new sims server

Hello everyone. im new here im just wondering if you could help.

been thrown in at the deep end a bit in seetting up a new SIMS server never had a previous one.

server 2003 Standard Edition
    i ran CCSSQLExpressInst.exe to install the SQL on the server installing a new SQL Instance to host SIMS. then once all had finished i then ran SIMSINST.exe and chose the option for SIMS SQL Server and SIMS Document Server changed all the options that were applicable to us in the Settings tab and then installed. it installed the database called NewSimsDatabase.mdf into D:/Program Files/.../Data and called itself SIMS.

once that setup was complete i checked to make sure the SQL server services were all running and checked the settings were allowing TCP/IP AND Named Pipes and turned off the windows firewall on the server.

then worked on the workstation and installed SIMS Workstation. had mappings to S:/ and also turned off windows firewall and installed the SQL Server Studio on the workstation to make sure i could connect to the server. through there using username SA i could connect to the server and under the databases was our database, SIMS.

once all workstation software was setup i tried to login to SIMS using the username Sysman and the password password. i got both errors as Reason0 and incorrect username/password.
    the local connect.ini file redirects to the S:/SIMS/Connect.ini and this is all fine.

i browsed the database using the SQL Server studio and found the username for sysman and the password is password but still wouldnt let me login

sorry for the lenghty detail but just thinking someone might be able to point us in the right direction if we are going slightly wrong in the setup procedures.

Many Thanks in advance!!

Thank Post
    Hi there and welcome!

When you say you're setting up a new SIMS server, is your establishment about to start using SIMS or do you have an existing SIMS database to attach to the newly created SQL instance?

If it's the latter, you don't need to connect to the "blank" database at all. The next step would be to attach the school's existing database.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick; I should really be in bed at this hour!

Thank Post
    have got no existing sims installations. it is a new sims server and database. was explaining my processes of installation just incase i was going wrong somewhere

Thank Post
    You sound like you have done all the right things.

If it can give you a username/password error it souns like it is connecting.

Can a ping resolve the Name (not IP) of the Server.

Is the SQL Server Browser Service running on the Server?

Is there more than one instance of SQL Server on the Server somehow and you are trying to connect to the wrong one?

Can you run the SIMS module up successfully on the Server itself?

Thank Post
    yes ping ok. browser service running. no other module of SQL.

SIMS Workstation isnt installed on the server itself. should it be installed and check that way??

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'd install it on the Server for the following reasons:

Helps with troubleshooting - if you can connect on the Server it will most likely be a network/firewall issue that's been overlooked and giving you this problem.

Good for upgrades - if SIMS Workstation is installed on the Server and you have agreed downtime to do your SIMS upgrades (not always possible) it makes it easy to check that the upgrade has worked successfully before deploying it to clients. If you have a problem you can rollback quickly.

Are your workstations up to date with .net framework?

[EDIT]

Also make sure CLR is enabled in the SQL Server management Studio - can't remember the exact route for this though.

Once this is enabled restart the SQL Server Service and (possibly) re-run SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe
    Last edited by superfletch; 18th September 2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Add more gumf

Thank Post
    have installed workstation on server. still getting incorrect username/password.
    the .net framework is all fine on the workstations
    could you point in a way to enabling CLR in management studio?

Thanks
    Last edited by priestm; 18th September 2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added more

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounding picky but you have to be with SIMS.

I noticed you typed S:/SIMS/Connect.ini but the slashes should be a backslash. Have you checked these?

Also try this in your connect.ini on the local computer:

Code:
    [SIMSConnection]
    Redirect=S:\sims
    Note that there is no connect.ini on the end of the path.

Thank Post
    There a few things Capita want you to try if you get this error.

Below is the link, good luck.

Hot Topics

Also you could try entering the details in the connect.ini rather than the redirection, using the ip address in case the name of the server cannot be resolved, for example:

[SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=IP ADDRESS\sims
    DatabaseName=SIMS
    ServerType=SIMSSQL
    Commandtimeout=10000

and see if that works
    Last edited by ravens; 18th September 2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Addtional thought

Thank Post
    have changed all connect.ini info to what ravens said. also enabled CLR in management studio.
    i have browsed through the tables in the SIMS database and found under "sims.db_user" 2 users as DataExportsUser and sysman.
    is there any way in the management studio to create a user that has administrator rights? is it in the same table as these users.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Seeing you used the CCSSQLExpress installer I don't think this should be an issue, I'll say it anyway though... could it be the authentication type (ie using Trusted instead of SQL based authentication).

Old fixes are the best - have you detached and re-attached the SIMS database using SIMS DBAttach and logging in using your SQL Server SA user account?

Thank Post
    When you attached the database, what configuration did you select?

Thank Post
    i think it was SQL Authentication. i wouldnt use trusted authentication because i dont think its that secure. have detached and attached but still no login

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by priestm View Post
    i think it was SQL Authentication. i wouldnt use trusted authentication because i dont think its that secure. have detached and attached but still no login
    which phase configuration did you select when you configured the blank database? If you install a blank database it needs to be configured. For example, the sector, region and suchlike.

Thank Post
    i dont recall it asking that. im going to uninstall all sims apps and SQL off the server and retry installing again and see what happens. will let you know if i get anywere.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast