+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, set up a new sims server in Technical; Originally Posted by priestm i dont recall it asking that. im going to uninstall all sims apps and SQL off ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by priestm View Post
    i dont recall it asking that. im going to uninstall all sims apps and SQL off the server and retry installing again and see what happens. will let you know if i get anywere.
    Dont bother uninstalling. Do this:

* Dettach the database

* Run SIMSInst.exe (this must be from the August 2008 installable CD) on the server and select to install a SIMS SQL server. On the next screen you can choose the instance you installed earlier.

* When it asks about setting up the database, ensure you select to create a new database. Select the sector and school type options here. Do not choose attach an existing database unless you have one from a different server or whatever.

* Then click next a few times and then the sims configuration util should pop up, follow this through and then it should all be done.

Thank Post
    installed again and it never asked me for any phases. instead of running CCSSQLExpress i ran simsinst.exe and installed Server that way but still no luck.

Thank Post
    what version of simsinst.exe are you using? can you put up some screen grabs of the stages you're going through?

do you have access to a SIMS August 2008 installable CD?

Thank Post
    sorry i never saw your previous post i closed the tinterweb.
    the version i am using of SIMSINST.exe is v1.21
    dont have August 2008 CD.

Thank Post
    Hiya have you experienced (or can you look for) any Event Log errors referring to *Memory Pressure*. It is related to the CLR integration thing.

The fault will also be shown in the SQL Server logs.

If so there is a patch but I only needed it once.

[Edit]

Can I ask what might seem like an odd question at this junction - if you have never had SIMS before but you don't have the August 08 installer then where are you getting your file structure (eg Setups folder etc) from?

Also I'm guessing you must have some kind of existing MIS in place at the moment and seeing your conversational tone is not at all worried about your problem I'll ask - how long have you got before you have to install it?

The November Installable release of SIMS will come complete with an SQL 2008 installer, potentially saving you the problem of migrating 2005 - 2008.
    Last edited by superfletch; 18th September 2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Add stuff

6. Thanks to superfletch from:

priestm (12th October 2009)

Thank Post
    do apologise for my late reply. having time off work and so on.

havent seen any errors of the kind in the logs. but can i ask what patch it is just incase i have missed it? im new to the job and the file structure was already on the server. im just guessing my predecessor was going to start then left. not to sure on that situation. i havent really been asked about a timeframe.

is V1.21 of the SIMSINST.exe the right version? can i ask if that is the same one you use too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    V1.21.30 is the one we use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    not sure if you've tried this or if it's relevant to your express install.. but ...

I was playing with many virtual machines in the summer to practice sharepoint and slg.
    once i was lazy, and installed the full sql but with no instance name i.e. default instance only.
    sims really doesn't like this. it's easy to connect with management studio etc. you just put no name, everything else looks fine, and connect.ini was setup the correct way, but for some reason you need to have a proper named instance.

installing a new instance on the same sql installation and putting sims on that worked spot on...

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    not sure if you've tried this or if it's relevant to your express install.. but ...

I was playing with many virtual machines in the summer to practice sharepoint and slg.
    once i was lazy, and installed the full sql but with no instance name i.e. default instance only.
    sims really doesn't like this. it's easy to connect with management studio etc. you just put no name, everything else looks fine, and connect.ini was setup the correct way, but for some reason you need to have a proper named instance.

installing a new instance on the same sql installation and putting sims on that worked spot on...
    so when i set up SQL and it asks for an instance name and SIMS2005 is the default, i should change that to something else?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    No, if it gives you a name and sims2005 is there then that's okay.

i was referring to when you install sql normally, the default is blank unless you specify one.

so sounds like it's not an issue, however you can still install another instance with a different name, for troubleshooting purposes.

if this is your first use of sims, surely capita or local support should do all the installation for you, otherwise aren't they likely to just not support you...?

also, i'm sure that some installation files have different default usernames and passwords for the blank databases. i'm sure when i created a dummy virtual instance, i couldn't log in until i detached the database, dropping logins, and then reattached. then the default password worked.

also don't forget when you detach the database to move the file to another folder before you reattach...

Thank Post
    Latest SIMSINST is 1.574.2.0, until the Autumn release, which is due out soon, which will include SQL 2008 support, like superfletch said.

August '08 is the latest installable media currently. You have to ask your local LA for a copy or Capita direct, distribution [at] capita.co.uk

14. Thanks to matt40k from:

Thank Post
    shall be getting in touch with one of them then. Thanks very much everyone for all your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12