+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims, spawn of the devil i tell you in Technical; What a week, 2 days off work ill, then when I get back there's a nice brown envolope waiting for ...
    Thank Post

Sims, spawn of the devil i tell you

What a week, 2 days off work ill, then when I get back there's a nice brown envolope waiting for me, Sims .net September upgrade......

Shouldn't be too bad I think. i've done these before.

2 days later and now Sims .net won't do anything interesting, the database version is wrong and it doesn't look like it updated the database last night, so there is no backup, but when I go to check for updates there are none.

I get an error when I go to student details, click on the web help button next to the error code you might say, tried it, the answer i get is "sorry can't help"

What a waste of computer power.

Well, that's my rant about Sims done with.

Just heard that the possible reason it wasn't working was because their might not have been enough disk space.

A simple message would have helped a lot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts

Re: Sims, spawn of the devil i tell you

I have just had 2 weeks of hell racking my brains with the Sims as the latest update srewed our SQL database. But to be fair Capita have rallied to the occasion and come up with a patch for me which has been tested on my copied database and works a treat. These things happen with all software, it just takes time to get things working correctly all the time with all the number of people accessing the database i find it is going to cock up once in a while to me it is the service afterwards that gives you an indication whether it is worth carrying on.

Thank Post

SIMS. Is. "Nice".

Sounds like I am not alone in the two exhausting weeks I have had too. And that was with a patch applied over the summer and re-introduction of a server by .ICT that completely mashed up our admin network. And that's not mentioning that it never used to be my job but on becoming "senior" systems manager they have dumped me with the whole bloody lot! So even though I have had nothing to do with the management of the SIMS network- everyone blames me for inheriting something that doesn't work.

Schools are mad. So I went mad. I told the Head it needs re-installing (which to my surprise .ICT are leaning towards now). Hehehe. Apparently the server hasn't been defragged for two years; it only has less than 1GB on the C: partition and our SQL database at nearly 60MB in size is *way* too big. Apparently.

And now I'm going on some nice SIMS courses to bring myself right up to speed. Damn.

Anyone need a technician?

Thank Post

I truly. truly cannot stand SIMS, it has to be one of the worst pieces of software I have ever encountered. Its not in the least bit surprising to me that when the people who had "bunged" money at the labour party was revealed, the chairman (or was it CEO, I forget) of Capita was on the list having "donated" £1 million.

I have come to believe that SIMS stands for "Shit In My Systems"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Sims, spawn of the devil i tell you
    Not suprising since Capita is a Microsoft Partner

Thank Post

I suspect that not many of you like "Capita" and their sharp business practises. Well what would anyone else suggest as an improvement on Sims.net? i hear all you people crying out loud for an answer! . I have not seen anything else that does the job without any problems.

Thank Post

I don't think Capita and SIMS.net are any worse than many other software suppliers/products that we have to deal with in the education market place.

Thank Post

Just to say I ran the September upgrade with no problems. Sims may not offer the most fantastic MIS that we would all like, but none of the alternatives are perfect either.

What SIMS do offer in most localities, is a first rate support service, usually local, who sort things out when they go wrong.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

60mb? Mines 600mb! As for SIMS Spet update I only had problems when I realised I hadn't got enough space on c: to install it! I think I'll look at installing the sims server again this time with a bigger disk lol!

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I suspect that not many of you like "Capita" and their sharp business practises. Well what would anyone else suggest as an improvement on Sims.net? i hear all you people crying out loud for an answer! . I have not seen anything else that does the job without any problems.
    IMO with the amount of money our LEA's individually pump into Capita (33000 schools in UK?) all paying large amounts to Capita/SERCO for SIMS/CMIS the government would be much better off puting a *fraction* of this money towards employing software developers to improve existing OSS developments such as FreeMis, Sciooltool etc

Thank Post

I still expect better from a supposed professional piece of software. I havent checked any alternatives (cause I cant be arsed and its not my place to do so anyway), but to say that its not so bad because others are poor too seems like a silly view. A professional piece of software should be as good as it can be, not merely as good as anyone elses.

Everyone here strives to have the best possible network, we dont sit back and say..well it will do running like that cause its still better than other networks, so thats ok. Capita should be doing the same.

The support in our area is "ok", its not fantastic...but its definately not poor either. Having said that, if the product was running well enough , the support would be a nonfactor anyway. I personally wouldnt buy a poor car and be satisfied because its got a good maintenance agreement, I would set out to buy a decent car in the first place.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    Just to say I ran the September upgrade with no problems. Sims may not offer the most fantastic MIS that we would all like, but none of the alternatives are perfect either.

What SIMS do offer in most localities, is a first rate support service, usually local, who sort things out when they go wrong.
    Quick he is possessed. Grab him and get a Priest!!!!

I am still smouldering that we choose SIMS over CMIS a while back when we had the chance to change (though I understand the reasoning and that it does have it problems too) and then that we choose Lesson Monitor over Pars. As much as Lesson Monitor 'works' it just seems awkward, unintelligent and less feature rich.

That is my main gripe. Sims does 'work', but it just seems never to do what expected, even Capita seem suprised when you mention what things do or should do, and is just not a great application to use (the almighty user friendly interface). Then it takes 6 months to fix it which then introduces more problems.

Grrrr, now I'm going to have to sit in a dark room for a while.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    IMO with the amount of money our LEA's individually pump into Capita (33000 schools in UK?) all paying large amounts to Capita/SERCO for SIMS/CMIS the government would be much better off puting a *fraction* of this money towards employing software developers to improve existing OSS developments such as FreeMis, Sciooltool etc
    The Government would probably give the contract to manage the project to EDS, Capita, or RM, & then where would we be?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    You could say that about all areas of privatization that have occurred in the Government. It's less hastle to pay for someone else to do the job for you, with the added benefit that you get to blame them if it all goes horribly wrong. (Look at the shambles of the NHS IT infrastructure to name just one example.)

Thank Post

Jake
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    I personally wouldnt buy a poor car and be satisfied because its got a good maintenance agreement, I would set out to buy a decent car in the first place.
    well even RollsRoyce's breakdown and quite a lot more than you would know as they have a good setup for recovering these vehicles. Nothing these days surprises me as everyone wants everything like yesterday so we have to expect glitches in everything.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast